Week 17 GDT: Packers @ Detroit Lions

squire12

8 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

I don't have any problem discussing different things at all.  However, I do get a bit tired of the constant peeing and moaning game after game about the same old thing?   Must be no new game material to discuss so let's just beat that dead horse time after time after time.  The 1  year ban you propose is pretty harsh but I do enjoy a good bet.   So Norm, let's do this instead;  I'm in if you are.  Should the Packers win their 1st playoff game or lose by 10 or less, you are gone from this forum until the Super Bowl is played.  If the Packers lose that 1st playoff game by 11 or more, I'll be gone until Super Bowl is over.   After the Super Bowl,  all good to go for the forum.  What say you?  Anybody else willing to put up or shut up about how bad/good this team is?

But not TOO in depth with new material, right? that's too much. Only surface level banter please.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Fox_NFLs_GG said:

There was no insults to any specific person. However there have been tendencies of several here that are in line with N.P.D. and certain individuals that are enabling them.

SAID Principle does not factor in plates and screws that augment motion.

The bone will respond to the forces whether the plate is or is not there.  Thus the overarching concept of the SAID principle.  Specific adaptation to imposed demands.  Since bone is a living adaptable structure,  it can and will adapt.  

The plate and screws don't need to stay in after the fracture heals.  

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3249928/

Patient preference for leaving hardware in vs removal.  

Further more I do know what tendons and ligaments do. I'm not going to spend an hour explaining each.

Based on what you posted initially, I am not sure you need to. 

A better supporting methodology would be injuring the left arm for a prolonged period of time and strengthening the right side causing the left side to strengthen.

So training only 1 side will strengthen the trained side more, but the crossover effect demonstrates strength gains even in the side that did not perform training exercises

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=crossover+effect+of+strengthening+during+immobilization&hl=en&as_sdt=0&as_vis=1&oi=scholart#d=gs_qabs&u=%23p%3DncG-ki4nsd4J

Here is a quote from the article above.

The average strength benefit in the untrained limb was +36% (hamstring muscles) and +58% (quadriceps muscle) of that achieved in the trained limb. Untrained hamstring muscle showed better benefits in the endurance parameters than in strength or power parameters, while in the quadriceps muscle this effect was reversed. A positive relationship was observed between the changes (greater improvement in the trained limb resulted in greater improvement in the untrained limb) (hamstring muscles:r=0.83,P<0.001, quadriceps muscle:r=0.53,P<0.001). In endurance parameters, this relationship was almost linear while in the strength and power parameters the results were more in favour of a curvilinear relationship with limited benefit.

• Like 1

Just now, HighCalebR said:

Aboslutely not. 

But there's this great feature where you can impose your own ban on me until next season, if you like. Watch out though, I really blossom in the offseason when there's no fresh material.

Yup, I knew that.   Nope, no ban on you from me ... looking for fresh material that you contribute each and every game.    

3 minutes ago, squire12 said:

The bone will respond to the forces whether the plate is or is not there.  Thus the overarching concept of the SAID principle.  Specific adaptation to imposed demands.  Since bone is a living adaptable structure,  it can and will adapt.  

So training only 1 side will strengthen the trained side more, but the crossover effect demonstrates strength gains even in the side that did not perform training exercises

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=crossover+effect+of+strengthening+during+immobilization&hl=en&as_sdt=0&as_vis=1&oi=scholart#d=gs_qabs&u=%23p%3DncG-ki4nsd4J

The average strength benefit in the untrained limb was +36% (hamstring muscles) and +58% (quadriceps muscle) of that achieved in the trained limb. Untrained hamstring muscle showed better benefits in the endurance parameters than in strength or power parameters, while in the quadriceps muscle this effect was reversed. A positive relationship was observed between the changes (greater improvement in the trained limb resulted in greater improvement in the untrained limb) (hamstring muscles:r=0.83,P<0.001, quadriceps muscle:r=0.53,P<0.001). In endurance parameters, this relationship was almost linear while in the strength and power parameters the results were more in favour of a curvilinear relationship with limited benefit.

4 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Please let me thank you for your unseemly attempt to discredit me.  Parallel positions which are professional to yours may admire your citation to the information in which you present.  I'm not familiar to that exact format as nearly two decades ago it was considered incorrect to do that in Rhetoric and Composition (ENG. 101) and Research Writing (ENG. 209).  So please forgive me as citation rules change relatively fast.  In no way is this an insult.

I would like to state that there is a difference between making an observation by watching and making a diagnoses by watching who is not under the care of the individual who is making such statement. If the person is under the care of the said individual making such statements online, wouldn't that be a violation of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act?

You are correct on about SAID Principle, how the body becomes tolerant to a specific demand.  However if a physical factor changes significantly that effects range and mobility to a specific area, a slightly altered motion will need to be learned. The brain has to develop a new neurological pathway to make the motion automatic to a specific task. Relearning how to throw can hinder reaction time. You have a specific injury or physical hindrance to any connective tissue it can negatively effect motion and reaction time.

I do like the fact that you use old English spelling.

This was a big concern of mine actually.  Why I wanted to wait on signing Rodgers to a massive extension.  We never got to see him play when fully healthy.  First the collarbone and then the knee.  He was off last year but which one was it?  Rodgers has lost accuracy and we can all see it.  Not the same guy.  He's smart and dedicated so maybe he'll adjust and work on his mechanics.  Other issue is the lack of decent weapons and learning a new offense.  He's still playing pretty well despite all of it. If he wants a ring this year he will have to clean it up and fast.  No room for error in the playoffs.  Missed opportunities will kill you.  

22 minutes ago, Fox_NFLs_GG said:

Please let me thank you for your unseemly attempt to discredit me.  Parallel positions which are professional to yours may admire your citation to the information in which you present.  I'm not familiar to that exact format as nearly two decades ago it was considered incorrect to do that in Rhetoric and Composition (ENG. 101) and Research Writing (ENG. 209).  So please forgive me as citation rules change relatively fast.  In no way is this an insult.

I am not sure what you are getting at here.  

I would like to state that there is a difference between making an observation by watching and making a diagnoses by watching who is not under the care of the individual who is making such statement. If the person is under the care of the said individual making such statements online, wouldn't that be a violation of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act?

If  you or I have specific knowledge of the person and are using identifiers about a person under ones medical care...then there could be an issue.  Citing research studies and information found via google/pubmed search is in no way a HIPPA violation

You are correct on about SAID Principle, how the body becomes tolerant to a specific demand. 

Good, we can agree on something then

However if a physical factor changes significantly that effects range and mobility to a specific area, a slightly altered motion will need to be learned.

And it can be unlearned.  Happens frequently all the time. specific adaptations to imposed demands.  Those demands to not have to be of the high stress physical nature.

The brain has to develop a new neurological pathway to make the motion automatic to a specific task.

The neuroplastic-ability of the human brain is well beyond what we current understand it to be.  I feel this is why I and several others are hoping that Rodgers gets back to working on his fundamentals.  From the ground up as much as from his shoulder.  As a few also speculate, much of this may be between Rodgers ears and less from what is below his neck.   The brain is a powerful machine and is capable of getting itself into places that are detrimental to optimal performance and function inspite of a cerebral cortex analysis and thinking about how to "fix it".  

Relearning how to throw can hinder reaction time. You have a specific injury or physical hindrance to any connective tissue it can negatively effect motion and reaction time.

As I noted above....over analysis can lead to a neurological slowing down of the motor movements (planning, anticipation, reaction, processing) based on a multitude of stimuli/data pieces of sensory information.  Often it is more about the neurological aspects and less about the physical aspects.    I think we have seen Rodgers make some throws that he could have prior to his shoulder injury in 2018.   The main issue is that they are fewer and farther between.  That leads to a logical reasoning end point that it is more mental than physical.

I do like the fact that you use old English spelling.

I am not sure I know the difference between new and old English.

---------------------------------

Sorry to those that get bored with the medical stuff.  

• Like 1