Week 17 GDT: Packers @ Detroit Lions

squire12

3 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Our QB just tied the record for overthrows in a game. You can't blame the TE.

Bullcrap.  2 games in a row where the 1st frickin play of the game it's a damn good throw and it's dropped.  Confidence is huge in any players mind and if they can't/don't catch the 1st perfect pass to them ... hard to get a good flow going 1st series when that happens.  Rodgers was off on throws for sure ... he sure wasn't on that one.

1 hour ago, Joe said:

I've already commented on the horrible coaching and play-calling in this game(up until Matt La Fleur stopped coaching like Ricky La Fleur). 

I was, however, wrong about Tyler Ervin. I think he fits this offense quite well and if he can continue to settle in we can stop worrying about finding that elusive RS and shifty slot receiver as he can do both; plus, he ran pretty hard on that one carry he had. I'd have to say the same about Dexter Williams to a fault as well. He ran hard and played quite well IMHO. I think we're set at RB as much as some of you may disagree with that. Veldheer is a superior upgrade to Alex Light. Now if only he can stay healthy...

I should also mention that Lucas Patrick played pretty well..

...carry on with the Rodgers bashing...

3 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Absolutely, but "The final score would have been significantly different if he would have caught that ball" is an absolutely pathetic attempt to change the narrative. 

God forbid anybody in our media every says anything bad about the dude making 30 million to play like crap 6 games each year.

God forbid you not bringing up every frickin game.  

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

But the tweet didn't say, Graham sucks and blew this play. 

It was talking about how the offense would have magically done better if he had caught it.

One never knows if the offense  would have been better if he catches the frickin ball ... not even you.  As mentioned, momentum and confidence can be a powerful tool.

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

That's a bit harsh. The throw to Lazard is still a Rodgers gem that most QBs can't make, no step in, being hit as he throws, high to a tall receiver over a shorter DB, total dime. The screen to Jones to win the game LaFleur said was a suggestion that Rodgers wanted to run.

Look he was bad, however he didn't turn the ball over, and when he did it was essentially a fantastic punt that Kumerow really gave a poor effort for. "Did his best" to lose the game is harsh. 

The ball came out yesterday, and came out deep, two things our offense has lacked. If he's continuing to sling it like that, my money is on it leading to more good things than bad, because that's what I've seen his entire career. The ability is still there, I was in Detroit too and the way the ball comes out is special, he said he was puzzled being off because the ball felt good coming out of his hand, and it sure looked good too. Lambeau will hopefully help him, he's always good there.

How many times are we going to get burned expecting Rodgers to show up in a big way?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

Bullcrap.  2 games in a row where the 1st frickin play of the game it's a damn good throw and it's dropped.  Confidence is huge in any players mind and if they can't/don't catch the 1st perfect pass to them ... hard to get a good flow going 1st series when that happens.  Rodgers was off on throws for sure ... he sure wasn't on that one.

You can't have a terrible game because a ball gets dropped in the first quarter. That's mentally weak bull****. 

We wouldn't be making that excuse for literally any other player at any other position. Can you imagine if Bakhtiari allowed 5 sacks in a game because Aaron Jones missed a huge hole on a cutback? 

That's what you're attempting to excuse.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

One never knows if the offense  would have been better if he catches the frickin ball ... not even you.  As mentioned, momentum and confidence can be a powerful tool.

Confidence isn't an excuse for a damn QB making 30 million dollars. Dude just played one of the worst games of his career and we've got people postulating it's because Jimmy Graham dropped a ball on the first play.

If he's that mentally weak he needs to be benched.

• Like 4

I think Rodgers injuries and age are already working against him.  Remember that throw to Jennings on third down in the 2011 super bowl? Yeah, he can’t make that throw anymore.  Everything is with an arc off his back foot. Not many of the old fastballs anymore. He never steps into anything. His short passing is atrocious and would get any rookie benched. Not everyone can be Tom Brady or Drew Brees, the ageless ones.  Some get older quicker.  If it was me I’d be leaving no stone unturned at that position. 

After putting up pretty much identical stats to last season, and without the excuse of his leg injury to fall back on, I can no longer ignore what we are seeing with our eyes regarding Rodgers. He simply isn't an elite QB anymore. He's not going anywhere for a while though so the only real avenue is to improve the talent at WR/TE and hope LaFleur's offense takes another leap in yr2 to help elevate the QB

• Like 1

In my opinion, Rodgers still has ELITE arm talent and a very good football mind.  What has changed is partially due to age as he has lost some flexibility in the torso area (hey doesn't that happen to the best of us).  When you lose that you have to make up for it with extra fundamental work...especially footwork.  You have to throw more with your legs.  With this in mind, google "Rodgers highlight tape 2010-2011".  There is a 10 minute video that shows Rodgers best plays that year.  Look at his footwork in those video's.  He plays with a much better base and therefore drives the ball better into pinpoint spots.  He steps into nearly every throw off a solid base.  He also shows some of the throws off base when he's moving outside the pocket, but in the pocket, he's centered on base. 

Now compare that film to this year.  He plays like he's outside the pocket even when he's in it.  Too many of his throws are from a narrowed base lifting his feet.  That means he needs to use his arm more and flick the ball.  This motion probably protects his legs more, but its at the cost of accuracy and velocity.  He's got to know this....or if he doesn't the coaching staff should be reminding him of it.  Work the fundamentals.  Rodgers can still be an ELITE QUARTERBACK but it starts with renewed emphasis on those fundamentals that McCarthy drilled into him when we had that annual Quarterback School in the off-season.  Look at yesterday, he was flicking the ball with a heavy wrist motion off base all day.  And yet when asked about his overthrows after the game he said it felt really good coming off his hand and he could not figure out why he kept overthrowing it.  To me that's bad coaching as I do believe Aaron wants to be coached.

So while I'm all for acquiring better pass catching weapons for him, its still on him to get back to the basics or else you're wasting the talent and the money. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I really wonder if anyone on that coaching staff has the guts to tell Rodgers that he needs to spend a ton of time on fixing his mechanics?  I hope they do.  His accuracy could improve drastically if he actually stepped into a throw or two.  

To fix his mechanics, he first needs to fix his head.  

• Like 1