Week 17 GDT: Packers @ Detroit Lions

squire12

29 minutes ago, Norm said:
55Onatolu4MVP wrote:
He's more than a ST player. The Vikings never treated him right or gave him a shot. All I'm saying is give him a chance, and he'll be great.

He's a great size.

Just the perfect speed, not too fast and not too slow.

And he's very athletic and smart
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Norm said:

Lolol

that's the best post on this site.

i remember this dude Mr. Freeze on this site... his avy was schwarzenegger's mr. freeze... and he posted in this introductions thread with a first post like "It's getting COOOOLLLLD in here" and then someone was like "welcome to the forum" and then he came back with "ICCCCE to meet you" and then everyone was like **** this guy and clowning him and he never posted again. that's my favorite FF memory. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

AR has always throw with multiple arm angles. It's a positive, not a negative.

Understand the concept and its often necessary, but his deliveries....coupled with his increasing penchant for not setting his feet....has (IMO at least) tended towards passes that seem to "sail" with increased arc to them and less speed - and oddly, accuracy.

For some reason, I think he can still deliver a deep pass - but starting in 2018 (for me at least) it seemed that his deep passes started coming up short. Interestingly, not resulting in INTs - but often the WR would have to slow down and the (beaten) DB could "catch up" and get back into the defender role - if only to "shield off" the WR from the ball which often resulted in PBUs and/or incompletions.

A couple older guys (Brees / Brady) still have over the shoulder deliveries for the most part. I think AR and Brady probably have similar strength or can get similar depth to their deep passes - Brees is a bit more challenged - but both Brady and Brees seem to deliver more passes in a traditional manner. Why is that? I actually cant say. In 2018 I attributed it to the leg, but overall I'm just making observations.

Edited by Leader

Anyone else out there like me who sees problems with Rodgers, while at the same time are irritated with posters beating dead horses blaming everything wrong with the offense on him? There is middle ground there and it resides with the weapons at his disposal. I've said before, it's great that the team is capable of sustaining 12 play drives to put up six points but you need to be able to strike quick once in a awhile as well. Yes Rodgers mechanics have been to blame on some deep throws, but inability to get off clean, finish routes, and haul in the pass have been a problem as well.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

Anyone else out there like me who sees problems with Rodgers, while at the same time are irritated with posters beating dead horses blaming everything wrong with the offense on him? There is middle ground there and it resides with the weapons at his disposal. I've said before, it's great that the team is capable of sustaining 12 play drives to put up six points but you need to be able to strike quick once in a awhile as well. Yes Rodgers mechanics have been to blame on some deep throws, but inability to get off clean, finish routes, and haul in the pass have been a problem as well.

I'm in agreement with you that its both Rodgers and the WR's.  BUT, what gets me is we are paying him $30 plus million per year so I expect more out of him.  Rodgers in my opinion is transitioning from a quarterback that would frequently leave the pocket and freelance to more of a pocket passer.  Part of that transition for him is relearning to calm his feet and throw more from a balanced platform relying on his legs more and less on his arm.  The risk to him for doing this is the shots on the legs that quarterbacks take, but in my opinion, the NFL has changed the rules so much you don't see those low shots much in the pocket anymore.  I'm hoping that Rodgers goes home this off-season and works on his fundamentals to make that transition go faster.  He still has the arm talent and a rare ability to throw from different arm slots.  He can make the change if he puts the work in.

1 minute ago, minnypackerfan said:

I'm in agreement with you that its both Rodgers and the WR's.  BUT, what gets me is we are paying him $30 plus million per year so I expect more out of him.  Rodgers in my opinion is transitioning from a quarterback that would frequently leave the pocket and freelance to more of a pocket passer.  Part of that transition for him is relearning to calm his feet and throw more from a balanced platform relying on his legs more and less on his arm.  The risk to him for doing this is the shots on the legs that quarterbacks take, but in my opinion, the NFL has changed the rules so much you don't see those low shots much in the pocket anymore.  I'm hoping that Rodgers goes home this off-season and works on his fundamentals to make that transition go faster.  He still has the arm talent and a rare ability to throw from different arm slots.  He can make the change if he puts the work in.

A $30 million contract isn't playing. A 36 year old man with two broken collarbones and a bum knee is playing. And he's playing with a shaky WR corps. Adjust your expectations accordingly and you will be delighted with what you see.

24 minutes ago, minnypackerfan said:

20 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

A $30 million contract isn't playing. A 36 year old man with two broken collarbones and a bum knee is playing. And he's playing with a shaky WR corps. Adjust your expectations accordingly and you will be delighted with what you see.

You're both right to an extent. He's remaining skills aren't what you'd expect for 30M. But that's sports. In the beginning of a great player's career, they're underpaid. At the end, it's an overpay. In some loud poster's view, it's real simple - cut bait when the player gets old. The problem with that is, finding a surefire replacement. Given how many QBs bust, I have no problem riding things out with the known quantity and aiming to raise the quality of the roster around them. It certainly seems like a good decision for 2019.

The problem with blowhard critics on these forums is they comment from the perspective of hindsight and have an unreasonable expectation of perfection from team decision makers. It's on full display when they can't admit the things they themselves have been wrong about.

Edited by Mr Anonymous

16 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Bingo ... you sir win the best post of 2020!!  Said exactly right and totally on spot.

15 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

He doesn't have a bum knee. Knock it off with the nonsense excuses.

By your logic we should be thrilled every time Bulaga steps on the field.

This is the ******* NFL, you don't get a pass for an injury that wasn't bad enough to make you miss any games, last year.

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

He doesn't have a bum knee. Knock it off with the nonsense excuses.

By your logic we should be thrilled every time Bulaga steps on the field.

This is the ******* NFL, you don't get a pass for an injury that wasn't bad enough to make you miss any games, last year.

It didn't take long for you to start 2020 on the dead horse thing.

24 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Trust me....I have adjusted my expectations but I still want him to play at the highest level he is capable of.playing at.  I do not expect to see a 28 year old Rodgers out there.  Age always wins and we all have to adjust our expectations as to what we can do and what he cannot do as we get older.  He wants to play until he's 40 in this league and to his credit he is adjusting his game to stay within the pocket more and move less which is expected and good.  Now the fundamentals that come with that transition need to be adjusted.  My sense is he can do it and be the best 36-37 year old version of Rodgers.....not the 28 year old.  We can win with that version.

The WR talent is also below average.  But Bill Walsh used to say that when you build an offense, the last position you need to address is the WR position because your just wasting talent and money if the QB play is poor.  Gute's does need to address this in the off-season.

Edited by minnypackerfan