WC: BUF@HOU

Manny/Patrick

3 minutes ago, mse326 said:

I think @showtime is right about this. Whether the rule book says that is giving yourself up and therefore down is immaterial since the refs and NFL have been saying it is all season (and more). You can't change that now.

This is incorrect tho. The player is either catching the ball out of bounds or letting it hit ground first which would be a TD. But ball clearly never touched ground and his feet clearly werent on the white line.

And he didnt give himself up because you have to go to the ground to be considered giving youself up

Just now, showtime said:

I don't have any video evidence.  One of the announcers during the game at that moment said he has seen other kickoff returners do that exact same motion and it was fine in other games.

I've never seen it this year where they catch the ball which is a pretty big difference. 

1 minute ago, showtime said:

I don't have any video evidence.  One of the announcers during the game at that moment said he has seen other kickoff returners do that exact same motion and it was fine in other games.

Yes thats when the have a foot on white line in back of the endzone. But that has never happened when a player caught the ball inbounds.

Also those are the same commentator thats wanted to spike the ballnom 4th down instead of kicking a FG

7 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

I'll quote myself again....

Did he fall to the ground or kneel and clearly make no immediate effort to advance?

Did he fall or kneel: No

The next statement is AND so it doesn't matter because he didn't do the first part.

Actually, from the video above, the returner took two steps forward then pitched the ball to the ref. So he actually did sort of advance.

Just now, kingseanjohn said:

Show me ONE example of this during the season. Just one.

This might surprise you but those plays typically don't end up in youtube videos.

And besides the toss was the hand waving saying he wasn't returning it.

1 minute ago, amazingandre said:

It happens all the time in every game. Pay more attention to this weekends games and you will notice it. 

It does not. When a returner makes that motion they typically let ball go or catch it one white line. This is literally a first 

Just now, mse326 said:

This might surprise you but those plays typically don't end up in youtube videos.

The Tweet from Mike Pereira should end this debate, shouldn't it?  The player clearly tossed the ball to the ref and that signals the end of the play.

• Like 1

Just now, mse326 said:

Theyre wrong... thats what theyre trying to tell people but by their own rules you arent considered giving yourself up unless you go down to ground AND do not try to advance football.

No where in the rules does it say tossing football to official is deemed giving yourself up. That is being made up to cover the NFL tracks

• Like 1