49ers Stats and Observations

Forge

https://www.ninersnation.com/2021/2/3/22262279/49ers-brandon-aiyuk-finished-in-the-top-25-among-most-valuable-wrs-in-pffs-war-stat

Aiyuk was one of the five most valuable rookies of the entire 2020 NFL draft class and was among the 25 most valuable wide receivers in the NFL this season, per PFF WAR.

It can't be overstated enough that Lynch hit a total homerun with the Aiyuk pick. 

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

Initially, I was EXTREMELY disappointed on missing out on Lamb, my fav WR in that draft (in no small part due to playing at my alma mater!). However, I quickly dove into Ariz St games, watched all the interviews (Herm Edwards endorsement helped alleviate the sting of losing Lamb!) I could find. Some of the draft evaluations really helped as well. Soon, he was my favorite pick of the last Draft and easily my favorite WR on the team. And his rookie year was pretty good.

Cannot wait to see what happens when the injury bug will leave the damn team alone! 😠

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Initially, I was EXTREMELY disappointed on missing out on Lamb, my fav WR in that draft (in no small part due to playing at my alma mater!). However, I quickly dove into Ariz St games, watched all the interviews (Herm Edwards endorsement helped alleviate the sting of losing Lamb!) I could find. Some of the draft evaluations really helped as well. Soon, he was my favorite pick of the last Draft and easily my favorite WR on the team. And his rookie year was pretty good.

Cannot wait to see what happens when the injury bug will leave the damn team alone! 😠

Yeah, it feels like the 49ers have amassed so much talent and explosiveness on offense that the football gods are like "nope, only the Chiefs are allowed to field a god-tier offense right now." 

Regardless of who is playing QB in 2021, better pass pro along the interior will unlock Aiyuk's full potential with his downfield game. 

I still watch his beautiful downfield catch against the Bills where he's running full tilt then readjusts so quickly and smoothly that it seemed like it was a video game. That catch was all the proof I needed to know that Aiyuk can be one of the most dangerous downfield, big play WRs we've had in a very long time.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

Yeah, it feels like the 49ers have amassed so much talent and explosiveness on offense that the football gods are like "nope, only the Chiefs are allowed to field a god-tier offense right now." 

Regardless of who is playing QB in 2021, better pass pro along the interior will unlock Aiyuk's full potential with his downfield game. 

I still watch his beautiful downfield catch against the Bills where he's running full tilt then readjusts so quickly and smoothly that it seemed like it was a video game. That catch was all the proof I needed to know that Aiyuk can be one of the most dangerous downfield, big play WRs we've had in a very long time.

I don't wish to throw shade on Deebo, but I just think Aiyuk proved much more with the way he played than Deebo has. Less stats in his rookie year, I know. But many of the plays he made were rather astounding for a rookie, like the one you mentioned!

If Aiyuk had Josh Allen to throw to him..... 😲 But Allen would have to be a 9er, 'cause we aren't trading BA.

34 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

I don't wish to throw shade on Deebo, but I just think Aiyuk proved much more with the way he played than Deebo has. Less stats in his rookie year, I know. But many of the plays he made were rather astounding for a rookie, like the one you mentioned!

If Aiyuk had Josh Allen to throw to him..... 😲 But Allen would have to be a 9er, 'cause we aren't trading BA.

Just completely different types of receivers. Aiyuk is way more of a traditional WR where Deebo shines with the ball in his hands. When watching Aiyuk before the draft i was scared they would be too similar but in practice they are so different. Deebo is so physical which makes him hard to bring down by corners and even some of the lighter LB's and safeties where Aiyuk relies more on his speed and change of direction to get his YAC. Would love to see them both be healthy for a year along with Hurd.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Justone2 said:

Just completely different types of receivers. Aiyuk is way more of a traditional WR where Deebo shines with the ball in his hands. When watching Aiyuk before the draft i was scared they would be too similar but in practice they are so different. Deebo is so physical which makes him hard to bring down by corners and even some of the lighter LB's and safeties where Aiyuk relies more on his speed and change of direction to get his YAC. Would love to see them both be healthy for a year along with Hurd.

I'm not holding my breath on Hurd. If we get anything from him, it's a success but this guy had been hit by the injury bug too often and too hard. 

Just now, Chrissooner49er said:

I'm not holding my breath on Hurd. If we get anything from him, it's a success but this guy had been hit by the injury bug too often and too hard. 

More that i would really like to see him healthy. Not holding out hope he will but just that it would be nice to see him stay healthy to see what he can bring.

5 hours ago, NinerNation21 said:

I'll definitely eat a big plate of crow on that one. Was not a fan of Aiyuk but he proved early on that he could be a high level starter on the outside. 

7 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

I'll definitely eat a big plate of crow on that one. Was not a fan of Aiyuk but he proved early on that he could be a high level starter on the outside. 

Same. I was genuinely unhappy on draft night after the first round. I felt that we made a big mistake with both picks but I'm happy to be wrong.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
3 hours ago, Forge said:

When people think of pass defense, they almost always just think of the corners. But not this defense. The safeties and LBs play just as big of a role in that department, especially with the way Warner is utilized.

I said this a few months ago, but I think Warner is just as valuable as a healthy Bosa and I'm not convinced Bosa is more important. What Warner does in coverage is not normal at all. The man literally covers WRs on seam routes and picks up speedy receivers on the crossers with ease. Pay the man already! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The Athletic did a poll of 50 coaches & execs for the top 34 QB's. Jimmy G ranked 21st. Blurb from the article

“Jimmy is better than people think, but if he is in the market, to me, you are not like, ‘Oh, yeah, let’s get Jimmy G,’ but you would take him,” a defensive coordinator said. “I think Jimmy functions in Kyle Shanahan’s offense and understands his offense, and Kyle knows he can get him to do what he needs him to do, but I think he would like to have a more talented player. It would not surprise me if Lance was starting midway through the season. I think he has a little bit of the Mahomes-type traits.”

https://theathletic.com/2727336/2021/07/28/2021-nfl-quarterback-tiers-50-coaches-and-evaluators-rank-the-leagues-starters/