Is Drew Brees overrated?

rocky_rams

I think the Saints in general have been a bit overrated to be honest.  I especially think their “dominance” of the past month has been overrated.  Gave up 48 to the niners, beat up on a crappy Colts team, Quickly went down 14-0 against the Titans, got a questionable non call late that sealed it, and beat up on a Panthers team that had given up on the season.  That Panthers game especially was fools gold.  I’ve never seen a team play that bad and beat another team 42-10 like they did.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Bearerofnews said:

Yeah, he wasnt that impressive at all as a Charger. His best seasons were like a lite Alex Smith season and his first 2 full years as starter in San Diego were flat out trash. Are you suggesting otherwise?

Somewhat. He clearly didn't set the world on fire. I am suggesting he showed flashes of greatness during his tenure there (which some other NFL folks agreed with at the time). The team wasn't all that great, overall, either. 

19 hours ago, TheGame316 said:

This is a group discussion numbnuts.

source.gif

19 hours ago, TheGame316 said:

At the end of the day, he has 1 Superbowl in 19 seasons. 3 seasons with 13 wins, 4 with 11 wins and 8 seasons 8-8 or worse. Was never the best QB in his era and has Zero MVPs

Some people think he is Top 3, Top 5 and they are overrating him

He is somewhere beyond 10 but before 15. A lot of QB's would have thrown for a lot of yards in this offense and in this era

I haven't given it much thought, but I doubt I'd put him in the top ten ten of all time, either. Great QB, though. 

Nice conversing with such a well behaved member as yourself. You're a class act. 

15 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

I think the Saints in general have been a bit overrated to be honest.  I especially think their “dominance” of the past month has been overrated.  Gave up 48 to the niners, beat up on a crappy Colts team, Quickly went down 14-0 against the Titans, got a questionable non call late that sealed it, and beat up on a Panthers team that had given up on the season.  That Panthers game especially was fools gold.  I’ve never seen a team play that bad and beat another team 42-10 like they did.

With New Orleans' offense, it would have been nice to see what they could have done with a defense like San Francisco's or Pittsburgh's.  

That's really all they need.  

Edited by RamblinMan99

3 minutes ago, RamblinMan99 said:

With New Orleans' offense, it would have been nice to see what they could have done with a defense like San Francisco's or Pittsburgh's.  

That's really all they need.  

Eh, can’t blame the defense when the offense crapped the bed like they did.  The defense isn’t elite by any stretch, and they crap the bed just like the offense, but the Vikes game was primarily on the offense.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jlowe22 said:

, but the Vikes game was primarily on the offense.

Granted, that was the only game out of the four games that I didn't get to see over the weekend, but I think both offense and defense might be to blame.  

I see your point with the offense not getting anything going, since Brees had only one touchdown (rare) and an interception (even more rare).  

But, I also think the defense might bear the same liability, because Kirk Cousins supposedly had a big game, lol.  

I mean, Cousins is good, but he's not particularly known for winning when it counts, so for him to get that kind of leeway in such a big game has to be reflective of the defense from New Orleans.  

And yes, the offensive P.I. no-call did have an effect on the game, but I still think New Orleans could have done more on both sides of the football.  

8 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

Eh, can’t blame the defense when the offense crapped the bed like they did.  The defense isn’t elite by any stretch, and they crap the bed just like the offense, but the Vikes game was primarily on the offense.

Three playoff games in a row now where the Saints Offense just dies... they also left a lot to be desired in the Rams game. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Three playoff games in a row now where the Saints Offense just dies... they also left a lot to be desired in the Rams game. 

Yes, although last year at least, they had every guy banged up on the oline, the offense this year was healthy for the most part, or healthy enough anyway.  Maybe you can say Kamara had lingering injuries, but honestly it shouldn’t be affecting him like it is unless it’s a lot more serious than we’ve been led to believe.  He completely disappeared.

All the crap Saints fans took about Taysom Hill last year, and lo and behold, he’s the only player on offense to even show up to the game.

• Like 1

I thought the Saints defense played great. If you hold a competent offense to 20 points in regulation while the offense coughs up the ball twice, that's a very solid performance. It's so hard to just completely shut down even bad offenses completely - you give a bad offense enough cracks at the ball and they'll eventually score.

I actually think Brees is criminally underrated and if he did get that second ring, he had a good case to be the GOAT. So many 4th quarter comebacks, all those yards, exceptional completion percentage year in and year out. His greatness can't be understated and a part of me will miss having him on the field, when he does finally hang it up.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jlowe22 said:

Not to mention the defense set the offense up on the first drive of the game...only time the offense was fun to watch was when Taysom was in.

18 hours ago, Classic said:

Lol why diss Lamar for that? Even if he doesn't pan out as a HOF, what he is doing THIS season is Elite and why is most likely going to win MVP.

It's no diss. I love under dog stories and would love nothing more than for Lamar to have years of success. He's not a doooosh and he seems to work hard, so nobody should root against him as a QB (unless you're an AFCN team on game day or something, but you get the point). 

The point to the original post is to highlight how absurd the topic post is and the recency bias so many people have. Tom doesn't win a SB, he's finished. Drew has a bad game against a tip tier D, he's overrated. This all with nearly 20 seasons of elite-well above average play. But golden child flavor of the season (be it Jackson this year, Mayfield last year, Wentz, Griffin III, Vince Young, etc) has a good or even great single season, you're going to hear about it for the next 3.

I only chose Lamar as an example because it's this season and that same type of unwavering adulation is already permeating this forum, where you can't so much as point out one flaw in his game without the Jacksonians coming to roast you. 

🤷🏼‍♂️

Edited by ronjon1990
  • Like 1

I remember when I first starting posting on NFL message boards in the early-mid 00s, Elway, Marino, and Favre were on everyone’s top five all time quarterbacks list. People tend to over estimate current and recently retired players.

In 15 years, Brees will be remembered similarly to how people remember Favre, Marino, and Elway now, and in 40 years he will be remembered how people remember Tarkenson, Staubach, or Griese. A legitimate HoF with room to spare, but not in serious contention for top five ever or GOAT status.

• Like 2