Is Drew Brees overrated?

rocky_rams

Drew Brees is one of those rare "properly rated" players by consensus. The should have won more criticism is weird because Bob Griese, Jim Plunkett, Eli Manning, Ben Roethlisberger, Roger Staubach, Terry Bradshaw, and Troy Aikman all won more than him; but I don't even many of his harshest critics would put any of those guys over him. Outside of the one playoff game it's not like he should have won more than he did and his post season play didn't take a massive dive like Peyton Manning's did either

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheGame316 said:

Lots of QB's bubble into the top 10. He's keeping company with Trent Green, Leftwich and Hasselbeck. Being "Top 10" in any given season is not a "Special Season". Compared to 04 he had regressed

He's also keeping company with Kurt Warner, Tom Brady and Peyton Manning - so which one is more akin to what we know about Brees right now? That he's Green/Leftwich/Hasselbeck tier or he's Warner/Brady/Manning tier?

Just now, ET80 said:

He's also keeping company with Kurt Warner, Tom Brady and Peyton Manning - so which one is more akin to what we know about Brees right now? That he's Green/Leftwich/Hasselbeck tier or he's Warner/Brady/Manning tier?

At that point in his career, after 3 mediocre seasons and having regressed from the 04 season, I guarantee you nobody was looking at him like he was Brady or Manning. 05 was also not a high water mark season for Warner

2 minutes ago, Classic said:

Lmao this has to be the most ridiculous title on this forum ever.

Wait - I figured it out.

Drew Brees was a teammate of... Ladanian Tomlinson. And we know beyond a reasonable doubt that LT is in fact, overrated... Because he could get INJURED.

It's the transitive property. Drew Brees is overrated... because he could get injured.

It's algebraic osmosis. My goodness.

• Like 3

If Brees is overrated, than so is Rodgers and Wilson.

I have a weird distaste for qbs who ONLY have success under 1 main HC regime. In my book it knocks them down multiple tiers. I dont know why everyone doesnt view it the same way.

Everyone is a good driver in a mercedes. Every executive looks great working at google. I value qbs who do it under extenuating circumstances, surrounded with turmoil, cultural hostility, leadership dysfunction and constant integral turnover in management and personnel.

That's why i value Rivers to a lessor degree and Peyton to a greater degree. To me Peyton is locked in as the undisputed GOAT.

Made it to the superbowl with 4 coaches (unheard of), won with 2, made it to multiple superbowls with multiple teams. But put up all time seasons with multiple coaches, won mvps with multiple coaches, all pros... and multiple teams. Forget football.... what other athlete has done that in any sport.

When it comes to qb play... Peyton is GOD and everyone else is a great angel.

So back to the question. If the needle that you are measuring Brees by is goat, then yes he is overrated. If its all time great, then no. I dont see how he is under Rodgers and Wilson. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rocky_rams said:

Majority thinks he’s top 10 all time, but is he? 

He owns very important QB records but save for the one SB win he hasn’t really done much in the playoffs. 

Last year a bad call went against them but he still had an opportunity to win but he ended up throwing a pick in OT against the Rams. 

This year the fumble cost them  

he’s had a good coach in Sean Payton and very talented teams that were at the top of their conference but he’s never been able to make much of it in the playoffs

is he overrated when people place him in Top 10 all time or is it justified? 

The average football fan and analyst is incapable of understanding the words underrated or overrated. Virtually every player called overrated isn’t well thought of and virtually every player called underrated is generally well thought of. Most aren’t capable of understanding that someone can be great and still be overrated. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Pretty much the minute Rivers joined the Chargers, Brees turned into a great QB. So great the Chargers franchise tagged him while Rivers collected dust on the bench for two seasons.

Horrible take right here.

I dont know about great. He never broke 4000 yds as a Charger. 4000 yds passing is like 1000 yds rushing and we dont say rbs who had 800 yds were great.

2 minutes ago, DannyB said:

...What? No they aren't, that's dumb.

If they arent reckless or inebriated, sure they are. A superiorly engineered vehicle that has top of the line mechinal functionality, handling, safety features. Youd have to be a moron to not drive well in a mercedes or tesla.