2020 Offseason News and Discussion - Bargain Hunting

Kiltman

32 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

Derek Barnett's 5th year option picked up

Big year for him, this guy still has a ton to prove. Constantly banged up, 14 sacks in 3 years, and countless dumb penalties isn’t the greatest look for a top 15 pick 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ninjapirate said:

but why?

I really don't understand why people are so down on Barnett. The concern should only be getting a full season out of him. He had 6.5 sacks, 10 tfls, and 22 qb hits in 14 starts last year. Let him stay healthy and play DE with Hargrave and Cox pushing guards and centers into the QBs face. Given he plays the entire 17 game regular season this year, he could easily be in the double digits for sacks.

16 minutes ago, Folesadelphia said:

I really don't understand why people are so down on Barnett. The concern should only be getting a full season out of him. He had 6.5 sacks, 10 tfls, and 22 qb hits in 14 starts last year. Let him stay healthy and play DE with Hargrave and Cox pushing guards and centers into the QBs face. Given he plays the entire 17 game regular season this year, he could easily be in the double digits for sacks.

He should be doing more frankly, he was drafted 14th overall, that and the ridiculous number of boneheaded penalties.

3 hours ago, Folesadelphia said:

He could EASILY be in for double digit sacks?

What have you seen would make you say that? 

He’s ok. But for a first rounder, has been a disappointment. 10M a season isn’t terrible for a semi productive DE but he’s going to want more and he’s not worth it. You said it yourself, with the talent at DL we’ve had, he should have big numbers. He’s doesnt. He’s got like 4 FF in 3 years. That’s unacceptable. The last thing I want is him to have some crazy year and we’re forced to give him a huge contract and he doesn’t live up to it. That’s why I’m all aboard the Yannick train. He’s proven productive, give him the money you set for DB. Barnett is ok but he’s just ok. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Danger said:

He should be doing more frankly, he was drafted 14th overall, that and the ridiculous number of boneheaded penalties.

No doubt, but Barnett has dealt with injuries and is still very young. If you remember, Brandon Graham was seen as a reach or a bust early in his career. He also started his career slow and dealt with injuries early. I'm not ready to sign Barnett to a long contract right now but he would have to be really bad for the Eagles to not pick up his 5th year. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AustrianEagle said:

Seams like there is no rush on the remaining vet FAs. Anybody signed after the Draft other than Jameis?

Yesterday at 4pm was the period where FA signings wouldn't count against your Comp pick compensations.

I'd expect movement to come this week with several of the bigger names out there. However like with all of the new draft picks ,rumor is Clubs might not be to eager to have them sign their contracts because of the escalators and bonuses most contracts have this time of year. Especially with things being virtual rather then real OTA's.