2020 Offseason News and Discussion - Bargain Hunting

Kiltman

12 minutes ago, DeSean Jackson said:

A 4 year contract should be good I’d even go 5. Cap is going to raise a lot next season so I’m not to worried about over paying. Byron Jones will age nicely very athletic and can play safety. 
year 1 -28 year 2 29 year 3 30 he should still be elite for 3 seasons and possibly one more.

I don't know DJ, seems bit of a stretch... we have 3 other corners who you can also say could transition to Safety and have potential there.

16 minutes ago, Broadway Joe said:

I don´t disagree with Jones over Cooper. But I wouldn´t me mad if we don´t sign either, I´m not big on ex-Cowboys.

I´m not saying it´s not true but where does the Cooper is a head case thing is coming from? I don´t recall him doing anything to be labeled as such, much less ¨a long track record¨. 

Yeah I’m fine if they opt for some other move than either one of them. But I’ll take signing Byron over trading for then signing Slay.

It was a large part why people said Oakland didn’t work, a lot of why people said he did well with Dallas is they treated him like a Star and supported him. A lot of his drops problems, as well as the lower percentage of successful targets, were tied to this issue that he’s a bit of an enigma at times. Goes back to Bama too. I mean obviously none of us have any clue. Just what Ive always heard, and I don’t think it entirely went away in Dallas...though I’d have to ask them about that.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

I know this is my made up debate but gimme Ngakoue over Jones. I’ll get a 2nd tier CB, pair him with Mills and roll with that. Granted, maybe you have to trade for him but that dudes a difference maker. 14 FF in 4 years. I want that disruption. Trade Barnett for whatever you can get. 

100%
but we’d have to trade for him now because of the tag, so not happening probably.

If we could get Ngakoue as a FA I’d maybe trade Barnett with our first to the Jets to get a #1 WR (Lamb). Joe Douglas probably loved him some DB while he was here.

21 minutes ago, Danger said:

Biggest problem I have with going after Ngakoue, is that we have to give up a lot in a trade to get him.

Tag-and-trade is the most asinine thing in sports.

Was hoping the new CBA would abolish it and rework the comp pick formula...have yet to hear much about either.

But the player reps are awful at their jobs, so I’m not shocked.

Just now, Kiltman said:

Was hoping the new CBA would abolish it and rework the comp pick formula...have yet to hear much about either.

But the player reps are awful at their jobs, so I’m not shocked.

It's not high on the NFL PA priority list because it effects less than 1% of players annually. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Danger said:

It's not high on the NFL PA priority list because it effects less than 1% of players annually. 

True true

though you’d think the comp pick stuff would get a bigger reaction considering it shrinks the markets for vets and in some chances keeps them from having a spot. (Fort, Sendejo being Recent examples.) 

37 minutes ago, ninjapirate said:

top 5 salary guaranteed for a year and FA the next isnt bad.

This is a terrible argument, and exactly one that shady owner may use. 

The simple point is most of these players who are getting tagged would get top 1-3 money, not top 5 money. And they'd be getting it for 5 years. Long term stability. You know that contract you signed? Yours is expiring and you deserve a new deal? Too effing bad. Is the NFL the only league where this is a thing? Because the franchise tag is just a big joke in terms of business practice.

1 hour ago, ninjapirate said:

top 5 salary guaranteed for a year and FA the next isnt bad.

Eh, it not the worst possible thing.

But pretty much every player would get a better deal overall if they were on the market. And get financial security long term.

Its largely used to not have to commit to the valuation long term of a player. It’s inherently pro-teams.

Guys like Ngakoue would walk into FA and day one get the deal he wants, and a better deal than he’d get in Jacksonville.

As a fan of the team it’s nice to get an extra year to see what’s up with a guy. But it hurts the players.

It could be way better for them. Remove the multi-tag. Raise it to top 3 money. Remove the ability to tag & trade.

AJ Green seems to welcome the idea. He’s getting 18(?)M when he gets tagged. If he’s cut loose I’m not sure he gets that much. He’s 32. What’s a reasonable contract for him? 3 years 40-50 perhaps. Probably only like 15-20 guaranteed? Maybe I’m way off but I think it certainly works out some times. Leveon Bell will never see that money he threw away sitting out. And now there’s rumors of his effectiveness falling off. It may be a crappy way to conduct business but a player holding out or skipping the year is a terrible idea. Just bite the bullet and hope you stay healthy for the year to get a new contract. You have to think that a tagged year plus the next contract, whether it’s less than you would have gotten the previous year, is still a really good contract. 1 tagged year for 20M + a 4 year 50M = 5 years 70M, essentially 40M guaranteed. Or a 5 year 80M, 35M guaranteed or so. Im pulling numbers out my rear but I think it would still be very close assuming you stay healthy with relative production. Injury is always really risky but I think the compensation more than makes up for it. One year at top 5 money at any position and you’re set for life. 

What I learned from ITB 48 mins in: According to Caplan, we want to bring McLeod back. According to Mosher and his sources, there is no discouragement with the Eagles involving Dillard. Mosher also said that a lot of the executives he talked to had a similar 2nd round grade on JJ a year ago. If we sign a LB, it'll be a second tier guy i.e. Kwiatkowski, Campbell, etc. We could be looking at mid level DL to sign. Caplan likes WR Perriman the most in the free agent class. Robby Anderson is a maybe. Big V won't be back. And of course, we're gonna go all in on Byron Jones.