2020 Offseason News and Discussion - Bargain Hunting

Kiltman

1 hour ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BRING HIM TO US HOWIE!

I really don't give a damn if we have to overpay a bit for his services.

He should've been an Eagle back in 2015, but unfortunately we passed (sorry Nelson...) even though he made a ton of sense for us and a lot on here wanted him.

I swear people comparing this to the Byron Maxwell situation are clueless.

Maxwell was the worst starter on a great Seattle secondary. He was just somewhat above average in a good scheme fit surrounded by a lot of other defensive talent.

Jones on the other hand has been the best player in Dallas' secondary whether at safety or corner. He is actually good and would be a great get.

This is proof that we are all more qualified to be NFL gm's than Chip Kelly ever was

56 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

One big positive I like is definitely that versatility..like if we sign him to a 5 year deal, $17 per and he slows up or when Malcolm leaves, you can move him to Safety and not need to worry about it.

Wiping a major need off the board on day 1 on FA would great.

I think this is exactly what our FO has in mind. Play CB for us for a few years, then transition to safety. This signing would essentially strengthen CB for the now and near future, and strengthen safety for the distant future. 2 birds with one stone. Would be huge imo.

Edited by EagleBlueDon

50 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

One big positive I like is definitely that versatility..like if we sign him to a 5 year deal, $17 per and he slows up or when Malcolm leaves, you can move him to Safety and not need to worry about it.

Wiping a major need off the board on day 1 on FA would great.

Didn't even think of this angle! 

This would be even more of a brilliant addition.

34 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

This is proof that we are all more qualified to be NFL gm's than Chip Kelly ever was

Add Howie to that and several other GMs

I´ve always thought this forum has (or had pre FF purge) some good talent evaluators. 

I remember this forum was crazy for LeGarret Blount and Alshon Jefferey pre-draft. And several years later they get added and become key pieces for the SB title.

Add to that, we rarely draft the players we want in here and the team sucks at drafting. 

3 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

I swear people comparing this to the Byron Maxwell situation are clueless.

Maxwell was the worst starter on a great Seattle secondary. He was just somewhat above average in a good scheme fit surrounded by a lot of other defensive talent

Exactly right.  What made it even worse is he was paid a boatload of money to come to the Eagles and play out of position.  He was a weak side corner who was paid to be a shutdown strong side corner.

Terrible idea from the start.

man I would love to bring in trae turner... He’s only 26, he’s been playing rg but he’s played lg before as a rookie. We are lacking that depth piece since Vatai is going to be leaving and Issac can play across the board. I see Issac being our future center and he needs to work on that and focus more on that. Dillard , turner , Issac, brooks and lane can be our starting line for the next 5+ years. I see Kelce retiring after this year. 

Edited by DeSean Jackson
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DeSean Jackson said:

Would you rather Byron Jones or Amari Cooper?

Jones

I think Cooper is more of an impact signing. 
but he gets injured a ton and has a long track record of being a head case.

I think Carson’s best bet is getting rookies to grow into his 30s with at Wideout

Am I the only one underwhelmed about Byron Jones? He's turning 28 in September, has 2 interceptions in 5 years. I'd prefer having a corner who can create turnovers and get Carson the ball back.

I also read somewhere this morning he's expected to sign around 17M a year (most in the league for a corner). He's just not worth the money in my eyes.

1 minute ago, DeJack_10 said:

Am I the only one underwhelmed about Byron Jones? He's turning 28 in September, has 2 interceptions in 5 years. I'd prefer having a corner who can create turnovers and get Carson the ball back.

I also read somewhere this morning he's expected to sign around 17M a year (most in the league for a corner). He's just not worth the money in my eyes.

Ok that contract does scare me...my personal belief is the window is holding on for another year or so for this current roster to make another run. You aren't going to get a rookie play well year 1 outside of the kid from Ohio State. Do you settle for Chris Harris? Who is older? Do you go after someone younger with a less track record? Most of the better CBs in the FA market are in their prime:

Waynes, Roby, Jones, Dennard, Johnson, Breeland & PJ Williams all roughly 28.

1 hour ago, Kiltman said:

Jones

I think Cooper is more of an impact signing. 
but he gets injured a ton and has a long track record of being a head case.

I think Carson’s best bet is getting rookies to grow into his 30s with at Wideout

I don´t disagree with Jones over Cooper. But I wouldn´t me mad if we don´t sign either, I´m not big on ex-Cowboys.

I´m not saying it´s not true but where does the Cooper is a head case thing is coming from? I don´t recall him doing anything to be labeled as such, much less ¨a long track record¨. 

Edited by Broadway Joe

1 hour ago, DeJack_10 said:

A 4 year contract should be good I’d even go 5. Cap is going to raise a lot next season so I’m not to worried about over paying. Byron Jones will age nicely very athletic and can play safety. 
year 1 -28 year 2 29 year 3 30 he should still be elite for 3 seasons and possibly one more.

I know this is my made up debate but gimme Ngakoue over Jones. I’ll get a 2nd tier CB, pair him with Mills and roll with that. Granted, maybe you have to trade for him but that dudes a difference maker. 14 FF in 4 years. I want that disruption. Trade Barnett for whatever you can get. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

I know this is my made up debate but gimme Ngakoue over Jones. I’ll get a 2nd tier CB, pair him with Mills and roll with that. Granted, maybe you have to trade for him but that dudes a difference maker. 14 FF in 4 years. I want that disruption. Trade Barnett for whatever you can get. 

This is something I'm definitely on board with.

Ngakoue would instantly transform the DL. Graham-Cox-Jackson-Ngakoue.... wont matter who plays corner lmao jk. Would also be ok with a 2nd tier CB in this case.