Moving On To 2020/2021.

gopherwrestler

18 minutes ago, RpMc said:

Depends on how they feel about Odenigbo, and this team has done a wonderful job of drafting/developing edge players in the 3rd round and later

The problem is they also lost Weatherly and don’t have a third DE waiting in the wings. I’m fine letting Odenigbo start, but there is now no depth and certainly not a developing player ready to go. Maybe Bower or Aruna was supposed to be that guy, but that never panned out.

This has definitely been a week. I know many feel different, but I'd be lying if I said this week hasn't been frustrating. I'm having a hard time right now seeing the vision of this team going forward, especially for 2020. I feel like there is a lot of money tied up in not so key places and key areas that they haven't nearly adequately addressed to the point. I'm waiting till this all works out but it's been a frustrating week. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, swede700 said:

Well, to be fair, most of the teams that paid big money to a RB were going to be terrible anyway, regardless of the RB.  And I will continue to argue that the Vikings had no qualms or regretted paying Adrian the money they did.  I think it's more about being responsible in how you pay a RB than just the idea of paying them period.  The Rams and the Cardinals were utterly irresponsible in how they paid Gurley and Johnson, not the fact that they paid them period.

I know people continue to point out examples where other teams have just cycled through various lesser-paid RBs and still been successful...that's all fine and dandy.  But, I imagine if you asked most of the coaches, they would tell you that they would like to have an elite-skilled RB at the top of their depth chart, because it would make it so much easier than having to mix and match a plethora of RBs to get the same production.

As @vikingsrule stated, you can certainly question whether Cook is an "elite" RB and is deserving to get paid, but I'm not in the camp of saying a RB should never be paid.  

We saw the difference between trying to run our offence using Boone to try to establish the run to open up the play-action pass for Cousins.  It worked very well with Cook, but not at all with Boone.  And it worked a lot better with Cook than with Mattison.

36 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

The problem is they also lost Weatherly and don’t have a third DE waiting in the wings. I’m fine letting Odenigbo start, but there is now no depth and certainly not a developing player ready to go. Maybe Bower or Aruna was supposed to be that guy, but that never panned out.

Considering that our last two relief DEs were a pair of 7th rounders I don't see some of your worry that the guys we have Eddie Yarbrough and Stacy Keeley can't do the same.

26 minutes ago, byuvike88 said:

This has definitely been a week. I know many feel different, but I'd be lying if I said this week hasn't been frustrating. I'm having a hard time right now seeing the vision of this team going forward, especially for 2020. I feel like there is a lot of money tied up in not so key places and key areas that they haven't nearly adequately addressed to the point. I'm waiting till this all works out but it's been a frustrating week. 

It’s hard to disagree but looking back maybe two years ago, we all knew this day was coming. You can only hang onto cheap players on rookie deals so long and when you have several consecutive years of completely missing on first round picks, it will cost you. Might cost Zimmer and Spielman their jobs in a year.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, byuvike88 said:

Getting the two kickers Bailey and Colquitt is crazy important and doing so has gone very under the radar.  Also CJ Ham signing was solid and was for not for much money, keeping Eric Wilson was big considering he could be a starting OLB next year for the Vikings.  Mike Pierce I like that signing as a big stout dude in the middle and helps fill that DT void with Joseph gone.

They did keep Cousins which I am kind of on the fence about but at least it shows they are serious and are not in a rebuild mode just yet.  And I wish they signed Anthony Harris to a contract but being able to keep him at least this year will help a ton with the CB trouble they might have.  Have lost a starter in Josh Kline which I was never a huge fan of him being signed last year.  Apparently are pretty sold on Samia so hopefully he is good but they will clearly still draft OL in the up coming draft also.

So open starting spots being both CB positions arguably, 2nd WR position, OG position.  DE position potentially if Griffen is not back but if he is back then those are the only open starting spots which is not bad.  Not a huge fan of Mannion being brought back but whatever.

So yeah no huge moves but kept some very important guys and brought in some talent with Pierce, curious how much cash they have left to do anything with.  The draft will be massive for them no question about it and that is where most of the new talent for the team will come from.  With so many picks I bet they make some moves and trade picks to move up potentially.  

Just now, solidvikingfan said:

Considering that our last two relief DEs were a pair of 7th rounders I don't see some of your worry that the guys we have Eddie Yarbrough and Stacy Keeley can't do the same.

Say AJ Epenesa falls in the draft, the Vikings should take him, and could also potentially take Gross-Matos also if he is around that spot.  Would be great if Odenigbo could start but not sure he could, and weren't a lot of his sacks as a DT in pass rush situations anyway?  Still not a huge need unless Griffen does indeed go elsewhere.  Still with the defense they have I would like to see that pass rush improve and take the pressure of Hunter having to do freaking everything out there, if an older not the same type player in Everson Griffen can still rack up sack numbers because of the attention Hunter gets, think what a fresh pass rushing young DE could do.  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, byuvike88 said:

I'm a bit on the opposite end, but it also could be because I don't view this team as championship caliber.

I've rallied for this team to let players walk a year or two too early instead of holding on to players for longer when they shouldn't.  Everson Griffen has been one of my guys since he came into the league out of USC (homer, homer, homer), and he may have a year or two left in the tank as an above average defensive end, but, to me, that's not within the team's competitive window.  Trae Waynes is a "good" corner, but not worth $14M per year.  Xavier Rhodes got his second chance to prove himself last year, and didn't, so we cut bait.  Stefon Diggs wasn't happy here and we got a good haul for him. Moving on from Linval was the right choice.

To me, these moves signal a front office that realizes that the "core" group that was supposed to allow us to compete for a championship, wasn't going to get it done - something that's been sorely lacked in Minnesota sports.  Extending Cousins for two years sets up a perfect timeline for selecting a QB next year when he inevitably shows that he's a good QB that isn't capable of getting a team over the hump.

Honestly it shows some growth from the front office; will they be around to continue to retool the team? Maybe, or maybe not, but they're giving themselves a chance to do so.

------

Just like with the social distancing, I'm mentally preparing myself for a long road with the Vikings.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, RpMc said:

I'm a bit on the opposite end, but it also could be because I don't view this team as championship caliber.

I've rallied for this team to let players walk a year or two too early instead of holding on to players for longer when they shouldn't.  Everson Griffen has been one of my guys since he came into the league out of USC (homer, homer, homer), and he may have a year or two left in the tank as an above average defensive end, but, to me, that's not within the team's competitive window.  Trae Waynes is a "good" corner, but not worth $14M per year.  Xavier Rhodes got his second chance to prove himself last year, and didn't, so we cut bait.  Stefon Diggs wasn't happy here and we got a good haul for him. Moving on from Linval was the right choice.

To me, these moves signal a front office that realizes that the "core" group that was supposed to allow us to compete for a championship, wasn't going to get it done - something that's been sorely lacked in Minnesota sports.  Extending Cousins for two years sets up a perfect timeline for selecting a QB next year when he inevitably shows that he's a good QB that isn't capable of getting a team over the hump.

Honestly it shows some growth from the front office; will they be around to continue to retool the team? Maybe, or maybe not, but they're giving themselves a chance to do so.

------

Just like with the social distancing, I'm mentally preparing myself for a long road with the Vikings.

I agree they had to move on from Xavier Rhodes, Waynes and Joseph no question.  None of them were worth the money they were getting.  

Will be nice to get some new blood in here and see if they can charge some things up.  That core group, especially on defense had their time together and never quite got it done collectively so time to move along.  AJ Epenesa and Gross-Matos are big time targets now with Griffen out.  And DT is not as much of a concern with Pierce here compared to DE I feel.

And if they do not trade the draft picks to move up, they could get easily two CBs and two WRs which would be ideal.  Sure I would trade an absolute ton to get Tristan Wirfs but if not some good guys will be around.  Next guy they need to decide on is Reiff and what they do with him and his contract.  

53 minutes ago, RpMc said:

To me, these moves signal a front office that realizes that the "core" group that was supposed to allow us to compete for a championship, wasn't going to get it done - something that's been sorely lacked in Minnesota sports.  Extending Cousins for two years sets up a perfect timeline for selecting a QB next year when he inevitably shows that he's a good QB that isn't capable of getting a team over the hump.

------

Gross. This is the real reason the vikings have never won a SB, our fans simply don’t have any faith. 

We would rather keep throwing darts at the board for another 20 years than appreciate the franchise QB that we do have.  Apparently 26 TDs to 6 INTs behind a bottom-5 OL isn’t good enough. Our surrounding talent is championship caliber obviously, its just that Cousins isn’t good enough to get us over the hump!

Absolutely disgusting.