NFC Championship: GB@SF

Manny/Patrick

Who will win?   

130 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• San Francisco 49ers
    • Green Bay Packers

I wouldn't be opposed to seeing Richard Sherman win another Superbowl as a heavy contributor and as an all-pro.  He suffered one of the most damning injuries a player could suffer and he's on the wrong side of 30.  There's no way Richard Sherman could ever be that elite CB he was in the past. 

The guy is utterly amazing.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, showtime said:

I wouldn't be opposed to seeing Richard Sherman win another Superbowl as a heavy contributor and as an all-pro.  He suffered one of the most damning injuries a player could suffer and he's on the wrong side of 30.  There's no way Richard Sherman could ever be that elite CB he was in the past. 

The guy is utterly amazing.

It's amazing that he got 49er fans to fall in love with him when he was basically public enemy number one while with Seattle lol

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Forge said:

It's amazing that he got 49er fans to fall in love with him when he was basically public enemy number one while with Seattle lol

He's one of those guys that you'll love if he's on your team, but you'd hate when he's an opponent.  I love him, though.  Everything he did in Seattle will never be forgotten.  Seeing him hold up that SB trophy would be awesome.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

?

All Niner fans I know in real life absolutely despise Sherman still. They don’t wanna cut him, but they hate him. 

3 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

?

All Niner fans I know in real life absolutely despise Sherman still. They don’t wanna cut him, but they hate him. 

I have yet to see someone say they hate Richard Sherman on this board for the 49ers. They all positively love him. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

I have yet to see someone say they hate Richard Sherman on this board for the 49ers. They all positively love him. 

Well, the dissonance isn't surprising.  The 9ers posters here are just a bit more educated about their team than most of the 9ers fans I know.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Richard Sherman is elite. Nothing about Ward (who is enjoying his best year) or Tartt says "stud." Williams is a good slot guy and Mosley is OK. What you have is a mediocre secondary that looks great because of an absolutely elite pass rush.

That said Seattle's secondary sucks, but I wouldn't say there is anything special about the Niners secondary. I would take our group over it any day. 

Agreed, it's really a stretch to say stud for either of those guys. They aren't good enough playmakers to get into that tier. They had 0 interceptions and 1 forced fumble between them (the fumble on a great play by Tartt against DK Metcalf in that first Seattle game). They do have talent though. Ward spent the first several years of his career miscast as a corner, but he had talent. The issue for both has been health more than anything. But it's easy to forget that Ward was a first round pick (Tartt was a second). I definitely wouldn't call the secondary mediocre on their own though. But they are absolutely boosted my the front

But mainly, what they are is guys who do their jobs and do the little things well. They don't miss many tackles. They don't muck up their assignments. There's seldom communication problems. That's got a lot of value for this defense specifically because they are surrounded by a lot of talent, but they are also not guys I'm breaking the bank for (a topic that has come up quite often with regards to Ward as he is a free agent after this year). Reminds me a lot of the Dashon Goldson when he was a 49er. Looked great in the defense surrounded by that talent, I think he was even a first team all pro one year. But it was very clear that he was made to look even better because of the defense around him and wasn't a guy I wanted to break the bank for, or a guy who would lift other defenses up. 

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Richard Sherman is elite. Nothing about Ward (who is enjoying his best year) or Tartt says "stud." Williams is a good slot guy and Mosley is OK. What you have is a mediocre secondary that looks great because of an absolutely elite pass rush.

That said Seattle's secondary sucks, but I wouldn't say there is anything special about the Niners secondary. I would take our group over it any day. 

Tartt has never not been good, he's just never been healthy. Ward has been tremendous this season and has played like one of the best safeties in the game, but before that he was inconsistent and injured every single year. I agree Moseley is just solid. But elite pass rush or not, the LBs are absolutely some of the best in the league in coverage and that goes a long way in having a top pass defense. Even when the pass rush was just average, the team was still really good in terms of passing yards allowed and opposing team's YPA....Well, that is when Harris wasn't blowing his assignment or just in no man's land. 

In terms of pure talent, GB has the edge at the secondary. And the Packers obviously have a very good pass rush. The difference lies in how good the LBs are in coverage. One team has arguably the best duo/trio of coverage backers and the the Packers are.....well, not close to having that lol. 

• Like 1

On 1/13/2020 at 6:18 AM, Howler said:

The problem is that he's literally has no one to throw to or at least anyone that he trusts. In the earlier game against SF, he was caught staring down Adams numerous times, while he was blanketed. Something has to give in the next matchup. He has to adjust. LaFleur has to come up with some new looks. But there is no speed threat on the Green Bay side. It's a bunch of plodders running 4.5 and above. I don't count Scantling since his snap count has dropped off the map. 

Yeah but there is potential that Aaron Jones & the run game can at least keep the 49ers pash rush honest.

I don't think the Packers are particularly likely to win, but if they are to win they need to win in the trenches. (Which will be very hard to do since the 49ers are extremely good on both sides of the ball at dominating the LOS)

Edited by Bolts223

5 hours ago, Forge said:

I absolutely loathed him on the Seahawks.  Call it division rivalry or whatever, but I hated him more than any other player in the league.  .....now?  I love that man.  lol  Now, if he would just travel to both sides of the field to cover #1s at all times.....I'd be in seventh heaven.

As for this game....man.   The logic part of my brain says we should win this game pretty handily.  The rest of it says it's still Rodgers and anything can happen.  I have a ton of Green Bay fans as friends, because, well....they're everywhere, even here in Arizona.  So, a lot of trash talk is going around on my Facebook feed.  My doctor can't know how much anxiety this season has given me.  Please don't tell him!  He won't let me watch football. lol

5 hours ago, BayRaider said:

?

I despised Sherman, although gave him props for self promoting and marketing himself while in Seattle. His first year I was skeptical and even though I don’t believe his play and hype is all it’s built up to be as of late, he provides so much more to this young defense than on field performance. And because of that, my opinion of him is rather positive. All of those last grievances I had of him may or may not still hold water but one thing that has changed my mind completely is how undoubtedly and vehemently he plays for his team and teammates. 

Oh,  and to stay on topic, niners win a close one. Rodgers this close to his second ring will be playing his best, packers run game is good enough to be effective and their defense as a whole shows flashes, their pass rush more often than other areas of their defense. However, niners as a whole are exactly that this year, whole. Run game compliments and sets up the pass plays and the passing weapons command enough respect to open up the running game. The defense is led by their DL obviously but our LBs and secondary are talented enough to make plays when  the pass rush isn’t getting home. There’s no real reliance on any one thing, aspect, position group or player. There are definitely favored ones, and players who we will try and highlight but this team plays as one unit and that cohesiveness and completeness has led to a lot of wins, in a lot of different situations. As a side note, in a game of chess between two end zones I’ll take Shanny over anyone. 

Edited by Fureys49ers

After pondering a couple days:

32-24 49ers win. 

I didn’t even factor in the blowout really. Although I did take the Packers being a little over matched into play here. 

Reasons I think the 49ers will win:

- Kyle Shanahan I’ve been saying all year is the offensive gameplan master. I’ve gotten heat for that and I’m not sure why. The 2016 Falcons were one of the best offenses I have ever seen with the most creative concepts, routes, and schemes I have ever seen. Same thing with these 2019 49ers with much less talent. Shanahan is coaching at an inhuman level on the offensive side of the football right now. And Jimmy is playing better ball than he has all year long. 

- The Defense is physical and the DL is the best DL in football. DL’s win championships. I don’t think it’s gonna be a complete dominant performance by any means, but I do expect the DL to win more battles than the OL. I also expect the secondary to play very physical against the GB WRs, who are not the greatest at releasing outside of Adams. 

- Home Field. I still think SF wins in GB but by a FG only. 

I will say though, my confidence meter for this one is only about 52%. Packers can certainly win, especially with Aaron Rodgers leading the way. He’s fantastic and will be hungrier than ever. Will he take a bite out of the Niners Defense? Tune in Sunday to find out... 

Not Betting but my bets would be:

49ers -7 

Over 45

Edited by BayRaider

5 hours ago, BayRaider said:

After pondering a couple days:

32-24 49ers win. 

I didn’t even factor in the blowout really. Although I did take the Packers being a little over matched into play here. 

Reasons I think the 49ers will win:

- Kyle Shanahan I’ve been saying all year is the offensive gameplan master. I’ve gotten heat for that and I’m not sure why. The 2016 Falcons were one of the best offenses I have ever seen with the most creative concepts, routes, and schemes I have ever seen. Same thing with these 2019 49ers with much less talent. Shanahan is coaching at an inhuman level on the offensive side of the football right now. And Jimmy is playing better ball than he has all year long. 

- The Defense is physical and the DL is the best DL in football. DL’s win championships. I don’t think it’s gonna be a complete dominant performance by any means, but I do expect the DL to win more battles than the OL. I also expect the secondary to play very physical against the GB WRs, who are not the greatest at releasing outside of Adams. 

- Home Field. I still think SF wins in GB but by a FG only. 

I will say though, my confidence meter for this one is only about 52%. Packers can certainly win, especially with Aaron Rodgers leading the way. He’s fantastic and will be hungrier than ever. Will he take a bite out of the Niners Defense? Tune in Sunday to find out... 

Not Betting but my bets would be:

49ers -7 

Over 45

Good analysis BayRaider.

I give GB a 40% chance to win! What i see between these two teams is one is a finesse team (GB) the other is a voracious team (49ers). 

• Like 1