General off-season discussion/plan thread

N4L

7 minutes ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

Not a fan of mortgaging our future for a one to two year window either. There are worse things than having Brady on the roster though. If Shanny and Lynch don’t have any faith in Jimmy, what the hell, go for it;  a move like this would show that our leadership doesn’t see a future with Jimmy and, if that’s the case, there’s no sense in dragging it on. If they did do this we better be getting something for Jimmy and we better be drafting a QB fairly high. At the end of the day, I don’t see any way this happens. I think Brady probably wants to come here and it makes for a good story, so people are pushing it. I’d be very surprised if Jimmy wasn’t our QB next year.

It all boils down to whether Shanny believes in Jimmy G or not. I think there were some advanced stats about how Jimmy G had some of the lowest air yards this season? That is, most of his passes were short throws designed to get YAC? And Jimmy barely threw at all in the playoffs, and missed that key throw in the SB. And lets not forget...Lynch actually asked about Brady's availability first back in '17.

As for future options at QB. Assuming this happens and its a one year gamble...Shanny's fave QB Cousins is a FA next season. 

That being said...we have a 28 year old QB who should be hitting his prime, signed to a reasonable deal, and if he's our guy, he could be our guy for 10 years. Jettisoning away a guy like that is risky as Brady has max 3 years left, realistically probably 1-2. And it really seems like the team gets along very well. How would moving on from Jimmy G affect the locker room? I know its a business, but still. And lastly, Brady would probably cost $30M each year. Even if we trade Jimmy G, our cap space would get real tight. 

IDK. I tend to be pretty conservative and would roll with Jimmy G. But i'll also say this...sometimes you gota be bold. I'm a Raptors fan (sorry Bay Area guys, i live in Toronto). Masai had a raps team that could never make it to the finals. So he traded fan favorite DeMar DeRozan, who had multiple years of control on his contract, for Kawhi Leonard, who had only 1 year left on his deal and didn't even want to come to Toronto. It was a HUGE gamble, but it worked perfectly, the Raptors won it all. If Masai kept DeMar, they don't win. And if you had asked me in June 2018, I would have kept DeMar

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

Not a fan of mortgaging our future for a one to two year window either. There are worse things than having Brady on the roster though. If Shanny and Lynch don’t have any faith in Jimmy, what the hell, go for it;  a move like this would show that our leadership doesn’t see a future with Jimmy and, if that’s the case, there’s no sense in dragging it on. If they did do this we better be getting something for Jimmy and we better be drafting a QB fairly high. At the end of the day, I don’t see any way this happens. I think Brady probably wants to come here and it makes for a good story, so people are pushing it. I’d be very surprised if Jimmy wasn’t our QB next year.

There's no way I view this as very likely to happen at all. It would be a truly bizarre move for the team to make and with no guaranteed plan in place for even 2 years, it just doesn't make sense. Jettison Jimmy to get Brady, who's probably going to make more money on a yearly basis (1-2 year deal at like 30 million) on a team that has money issues? No backup plan in place, and given where we would expect to pick in the draft, no real chance to land a top quarterback prospect in the draft. It would be a project to groom. No guaranteed super bowl, of course. Honestly, I'm not even sure how good Brady is at this point. 

I just can't believe that this is even remotely a thing. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Forge said:

There's no way I view this as very likely to happen at all. It would be a truly bizarre move for the team to make and with no guaranteed plan in place for even 2 years, it just doesn't make sense. Jettison Jimmy to get Brady, who's probably going to make more money on a yearly basis (1-2 year deal at like 30 million) on a team that has money issues? No backup plan in place, and given where we would expect to pick in the draft, no real chance to land a top quarterback prospect in the draft. It would be a project to groom. No guaranteed super bowl, of course. Honestly, I'm not even sure how good Brady is at this point. 

I just can't believe that this is even remotely a thing. 

I’m with you. We have a QB that just took us to a Super Bowl under contract at a pretty decent rate all things considered. I don’t think this thing has wheels personally; people just want an exciting story. I’m personally expecting a lot of growth in Jimmy next season. Look at Matt Ryan’s first year with Shanny compared to his second. I don’t expect Ryan MVP numbers, but I do expect to see some drastic improvement with Jimmy in his second full season being on the field for Shanny. I’m really hoping he can cut back on some of those Favre-esque passes moving forward.

25 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Brady's camp could be using us as leverage to get a better deal from somewhere else. Or Brady could want to go to his childhood team to finish out his career + realistic chance at a ring 

George Kittle just made an instagram post with a picture of him + Jimmy G saying "lets run it back #10!"....

• Like 2

On 2020-03-03 at 1:47 PM, Justone2 said:

If you have 5 Person's

It's 5 People, dude.

And I believe our offseason upgrade on the OL will be Brunskill over Person. Brunskill has shown he can play well at OT, but that's not for now, as we're set there. We just have to have Brunskill on the field, which will allow Person to replace Richburg until he returns. Do we bring Coleman back to compete with Skule?

If we get brady and trade jimmy g we have to draft a qb  in first 2 rounds cause brady aint got more than 2 years left.  Love to get jordan love and have him sit for a year or two like mahomes.  (but him lasting to our pick is a long shot at best) 

Saying all this for next season  i like our chances a little bit more to win sb with brady than jimmy g but you are basically trading our future for a better shot to win in next two seasons. 

My honest opinion is i would kick the tires on it but thats about it.  Doesn't hurt to ask the question. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/03/05/49ers-could-easily-end-the-tom-brady-chatter/

Consider the recent comments from Tom Curran of NBC Sports Boston regarding two important reasons for not dismissing the situation: “First, Brady would love to play there. Second, as much as Niners head coach Kyle Shanahan likes Garoppolo, I’ve been told by multiple sources that he’s got some reservations about Garoppolo’s ceiling and overall decision making.”

Tom Curran is a Patriots guy....idk if he has sources about the Niners 

Come on fellas, no need to entertain the Brady talks. Was obvious all along that this was coming from Brady's camp. Niners don't leak much, if at all anymore with the new regime. 

If Shanny wants another QB, he will draft one or get someone he's familiar with like Cousins. He wants full control, that's not happening with Brady. 

• Like 3