Atlanta Falcons will not pursue negotiations with Vic Beasley

Killashaw

6 minutes ago, Hukos said:

Honestly... I'm not sure. Depends on what kind of talent is around him. Vic is never going to be the guy. He's your 6th piece that can do a nice thing once in a while. If a bunch of guys are making plays, Vic will make a nice play every now and then. However, if your defense is struggling collectively, don't expect Vic to pick up the pieces. I mention a 3-4 zone blitz because the gigantic defensive line guys in those schemes really overwhelms offensive linemen, so those 3 guys plus a couple linebackers blitzing can really take the pressure off of Vic needing any kind of real technical skills to get past the tackles for the sack. And most of the time you can just have him sit back in coverage.

Yeah, that makes sense.  Thanks for the response.  I want my Skins to go after him and use him similar to the way Minnesota uses Anthony Barr.  We should have enough good pass rushers around him to cover for his deficiencies in that department.

I'm sure Rivera would have better insight than most other HC's on whether the investment in Beasely for that role would be worth it or not.

Edited by HTTRDynasty
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

How do you feel he'd project as a SLB in a 4-3 scheme?

We for the most part already seen something similar to this.  We moved him to a LB position and had him drop in coverage more often than he usually does from his 4-3 leo spot.  Think it was 2017 that we did this the year after he got 15.5 sacks and it honestly wasn't the best fit for him.   He wasn't the pure SLB as that was still campbell but he did play a very similar role as almost a 2nd slb that was blitzed more that a guy like campbell does.  Overall he did better as a 4-3 DE than as a SLB type of guy  but as usual he was mediocre at it at best and not something you would always want him doing.  Theirs a reason we ended up moving him back to DE from that after 1 year lol.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Duh.  Lol.  They ain't got no money. 

Actually this is more misleading than you would think it is.  True we don't have tons of cap space on paper and face value.  But with the hot trash we have at certain positions and the cuts we can make that could easily be upgraded in FA or the Draft.  We can make quite a bit of cap space this offseason and won't have any constraints if we really wanted a few solid players.   The biggest money getter for us would be releasing mack and that could get us to a nice amount of cap space with other cuts.   Without cutting Mack and cutting other deadweight players i have made it to a easy 30 to 35 million in cap space.  With cutting mack we can make it all the way to 40 to 45 million.   I personally hope we extend mack to keep him another few years and lower his cap hit this year in doing so.   If we can get to say 38 to 40 million and keep Mack we will be more than fine to look at FA for some ok players.   The main players that would be moving on would be

Freeman - Good Riddance
Desmond Trufant - Not sure how i feel about this one yet
Schaub - good riddance
Allen Bailey - Meh whatever he was ok at best
James Carpenter - Straight Garbage
Ty Sambrollo -  Good Riddance
Luke Stocker - Nothing Special either sorta sucked for most of the season
Keanu Neal - This one im not sure yet either considering we played without him for 2 seasons now bc of injury.  When healthy he is good but is he needed with Ricardo Allen and Kazee playing at adequate levels the last 2 years. 

If we can cut most of them which isn't hard to replace at all and might be be upgrades on some for peanuts while extending Mack and maybe trufant or trading him.  We would be in good shape for sure.  Of those guys i listed which ones would you actually keep if they were on your team instead of cutting them to get 30+ mil in cap space.

7 hours ago, Hukos said:

Honestly... I'm not sure. Depends on what kind of talent is around him. Vic is never going to be the guy. He's your 6th piece that can do a nice thing once in a while. If a bunch of guys are making plays, Vic will make a nice play every now and then. However, if your defense is struggling collectively, don't expect Vic to pick up the pieces. I mention a 3-4 zone blitz because the gigantic defensive line guys in those schemes really overwhelms offensive linemen, so those 3 guys plus a couple linebackers blitzing can really take the pressure off of Vic needing any kind of real technical skills to get past the tackles for the sack. And most of the time you can just have him sit back in coverage.

Idk why but this just made me think the Pats will pick him up 

21 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Duh.  Lol.  They ain't got no money. 

They have the money to retain whoever they want to retain. He didn't have the performance worthy of it.

20 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Coverage LBs who can rush the passer are incredibly valuable. What happened with him? Wrong scheme? 

He's not a coverage LB though. He aligned with his hand in the dirt or as a stand up DE on 95% of his snaps. He's a DE who can cover and is mediocre as a pass rusher. He has no heart.

9 hours ago, scar988 said:

He has no heart.

Being mediocre doesn't mean you don't have heart. Guy could be busting his butt all day long and he's just bad. You can try, and try, and try until you're blue in the face and still be bad at something. We're not in the room with him behind the scenes, so we'll never know. Interpreting a man's heart from what you see on the outside is very dangerous, and generally only done in bad faith. It's not a practice that I endorse at all.

"He has no heart" is a take that's repeated a lot on Falcons twitter and I hate how everyone just accepts it. It's lazy analysis.

Edited by Hukos
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, ET80 said:

The beginning of BoB the GM will be fun.

Look at the bright side. At least you won’t have any first round busts until at least 2022.

EDIT: Then again, he could always trade back up...

Edited by Yin-Yang