TE Vernon Davis announces retirement

RaidersAreOne

8 minutes ago, Dome said:

He really only made 2 Pro Bowls? 

I would’ve guessed 4-5 

He should have made 10. But he played with some pretty terrible QBs.

Had he had a Rivers, Brady or Romo throwing him the ball for his career like some he would not have had such a wasted career. 

• Like 2

Well enjoy retirement Mr. Physical Freak! 
That guy was just soooo physically gifted and talented that it's hard to believe he wasn't one of the top TEs in the league's history. Don't get me wrong he had an awesome career but I guess I expected even more, somehow. He probably had the best combine EVER, every position group included.
I still remember that one game he got hit so hard by K. Chancellor and thinking "man, there's no way that guy wants/can keep playing football after a hit like that". Not sure he ever fully recovered from that, it was just such a soul-crushing hit. 
But, to end it on a high note, I'll just leave this sweet Vernon moment.  
Image result for vernon davis eagles gif"

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Good tight end, even if he wasn't the most versatile or natural pass catcher. Held back by terrible QB play. I'll always appreciate how he played in the 2011 divisional against New Orleans. 

Always felt like he should have been better, but honestly, we may have been lucky to get the Davis we got, because the start of his career was not promising. Good dude though. Definitely not the most natural receiver, but he did what he could, and made some huge plays. Nice second act to his career as well. I thought he was completely toast before he even left us, then went to Denver and thought he was done there...but he had a little something left in the tank for Washington. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, MagicMT said:

Well enjoy retirement Mr. Physical Freak! 
That guy was just soooo physically gifted and talented that it's hard to believe he wasn't one of the top TEs in the league's history. Don't get me wrong he had an awesome career but I guess I expected even more, somehow. He probably had the best combine EVER, every position group included.
I still remember that one game he got hit so hard by K. Chancellor and thinking "man, there's no way that guy wants/can keep playing football after a hit like that". Not sure he ever fully recovered from that, it was just such a soul-crushing hit. 
But, to end it on a high note, I'll just leave this sweet Vernon moment.  
Image result for vernon davis eagles gif"

Ultimately his career was a disappointment compared to his potential. And he shoulders some of that blame. He kept signing with unstable teams/QBs 

6 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

Hall of fame?

Not even close.

He played in 2 Super Bowls and was robbed of a 3rd by Kyle Williams.

• He had 10 catches for 292 yards and 4 TDs heading towards the Super Bowl that season (Thanks a lot, Kyle!)
  • That's almost Larry Fitzgerald Territory

His overall playoff numbers are legit at 600 yards 7 TDs and 22.2 per catch (4 games of 100+)

He had that epic catch to beat New Orleans.

He put up solid numbers in his career at 583 7562 and 63 TDs at 13.0 per catch.

I say Hall of Very Good but that's what an Edge James Hall is so who knows?