Should the Cowboys TRADE Dak?

Uncle Buck

Should the Cowboys Trade Dak Prescott?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Cowboys Trade Dak Prescott?

• Yes! Trade him, improve other areas of the team and let MM develop a rookie.
    • No! He's a great quarterback and those are hard to find. Pay the man!

20 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Someone post that they want their team to give up a first round pick+ and pay 37m+ a year for Dak.

Seems a lot of people think there are teams willing to do it  and/or their fans would want that.

Easy to speak for someone else.  Someone say that’s what they would want for their team.   

I’m a Bears fan.  I pass. 

I'm a Rams fan and your team is only missing a QB from being a WC spot. If you pass on Dak, I'm not sure you're a Bears fan lol

Seriously though, Cowboys are the perfect team to trade for someone like Dak so this statement is shocking to me. I don't believe he can elevate the play around him, but the Bears are talented enough to keep games close via the defense, run the ball the Montgomery/Cohen, you could do worse than Allen Robinson as your WR1, and you draft or sign a TE...Bears become an 11-5 team. 

If someone asked me can the Cowboys get to the big game with Dak I would have to say not unless they upgrade their defense and make it dominant (like my Niners did incidentally). Because he is a very solid QB and their running game is good. 

But they can only upgrade their defense through a combo of a couple of very good drafts (and just how often does that happen) AND the ability to pick up a really worthwhile free agent or two, and they probably can't do the latter if they are hamstrung by a whopping great contract for Dak for the next few years. 

Even though I think they should trade Dak for the above reasons (draft and free agency), I have to believe Jerry Jones hired Mike McCarthy to try to get the best out of Dak. So they'll probably tag him for this coming season (and the next?) to see just what extra if anything their new head coach can get out of him. 

On a separate but connected note to this thread, maybe the more relevant question for Cowboy fans is how are you going to get your defense to the next level because that's what you'll need if you're going to be the NFC representative at the Super Bowl. 

Edited by uk9erfan

QB cap hits are INSANE

I think if a player is ELITE you pay him

If a player is going to cost you ELITE cap, but is merely VERY GOOD, then you trade him

I honestly don't know what you can get for Dak, but if it is a top pick plus two gamechangers from FA, I think I take that tradeoff

1 hour ago, x0x said:

Yeah. Trade for a ransom if you get Brady.

Please tell me who would give up more then a Box of Cracker Jack's plus said $35M+ long term contract?

If they want to swap Tom for Dak, fine do it move on. They aren't getting anything in return worth noting via trade it's a pipe dream with the really really good stuff.

17 hours ago, uk9erfan said:

Even though I think they should trade Dak for the above reasons (draft and free agency), I have to believe Jerry Jones hired Mike McCarthy to try to get the best out of Dak. So they'll probably tag him for this coming season (and the next?) to see just what extra if anything their new head coach can get out of him.

Did you look at his stat line from last season?  Almost 5,000 passing yards and 30 TD from a 4th round draft pick.  He was balling out for a long term big money contract last season; there isn't anything else to bleed out of him -- that was his top end.

If Jerry Jones pays him $35M+ on a long term deal he will do just what Elliott, Lawrence, and Jaylon Smith did -- play like he just got fat.  If they franchise him, I suspect his motivation level goes way down, and so does his numbers.

5 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Please tell me who would give up more then a Box of Cracker Jack's plus said $35M+ long term contract?

If they want to swap Tom for Dak, fine do it move on. They aren't getting anything in return worth noting via trade it's a pipe dream with the really really good stuff.

Every good QB is going to get $35M+ from here on out. That’s just the way the cap is going. If the Cowboys put Dak on the block they’d get a first for him. He’s young, established and while he isn’t elite he’s definitely better than Garrapolo and Rosen who got traded for second round picks. 

5 hours ago, lavar703 said:
10 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Every good QB is going to get $35M+ from here on out. That’s just the way the cap is going. If the Cowboys put Dak on the block they’d get a first for him. He’s young, established and while he isn’t elite he’s definitely better than Garrapolo and Rosen who got traded for second round picks. 

Who?

Who that wouldn't rather roll the Dice with a Rookie QB like Burrow, Tua Herbert and possibly even Love on Rookie Deals?

Who on top of the 5 listed above with the Cap space that wouldn't rather try and sign Brady, Rivers or maybe trade for Cam or Dalton for much less?

Who? The market is minuscule at best.

27 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Who?

Who that wouldn't rather roll the Dice with a Rookie QB like Burrow, Tua Herbert and possibly even Love on Rookie Deals?

Who on top of the 5 listed above with the Cap space that wouldn't rather try and sign Brady, Rivers or maybe trade for Cam or Dalton for much less?

Who? The market is minuscule at best.

The market is never minuscule for young, proven passers. If you’re the Raiders, why not? You have two firsts and a need for a good, Young QB. I could be wrong but I think if Dak was made available Dallas would get a lot of offers. 

23 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

The market is never minuscule for young, proven passers. If you’re the Raiders, why not? You have two firsts and a need for a good, Young QB. I could be wrong but I think if Dak was made available Dallas would get a lot of offers. 

So you think The Raiders would rather Trade a 1st rd pick for Dak Precott, pay him 35M a year, be the Face of the Franchise rather then sign Tom Brady for 30M-70M the next 2 years while keeping said draft picks to continue building the core? Moving into a brand new Stadium, trying to draw new Fans from Las Vegas? With Jon Gruden at the helm? 👌

19 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

So you think The Raiders would rather Trade a 1st rd pick for Dak Precott, pay him 35M a year, be the Face of the Franchise rather then sign Tom Brady for 30M-70M the next 2 years while keeping said draft picks to continue building the core? Moving into a brand new Stadium, trying to draw new Fans from Las Vegas? With Jon Gruden at the helm? 👌

Yes I think the Raiders would rather have a 26-year old franchise QB than a $30M a year 43-year old. 

2 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

1. I'm not convinced that Brady is leaving New England at all. We also have no idea what physical shape Brady will be in 2020. He could be great, he could regress, we just don't know.
2. I would much rather have Dak over Rivers - the last we saw of Rivers was not impressive and was in fact, pretty horrific.
3. Dalton wasn't the worst QB ever, but the "Dalton line"was infact, very much a real thing and it's curious how this forum tries to pretend that it wasn't. Taking Dalton (even at a discount) over Dak is something I'd expect from Colin Cowherd.
4. I'd need to know about Cam's health before I consider him over Dak.

In the case of an organization like the Raiders, they could throw the dice that Brady still has it. He very well could. He could also be done by the time the Raiders finally get to playing football, and it's all for nothing. Meanwhile, if they do pay Dak, they'd be looking at a lot of long-term stability at the QB position which is important for a guy like Jon Gruden (see: the later years of his reign in Tampa Bay). Gruden's got about 8 more years left on his contract, I figure he'd want to spend at least 5-6 those with some really good stability at the QB position.

Edited by Hukos