Is Aaron Rodgers prime being wasted by Thompson/McCarthy?

Darkness

Is Aaron Rodgers prime being wasted?  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Is Aaron Rodgers prime being wasted?

• Yes
    • No

15 hours ago, Revel8 said:

The numbers are directly from Football Outsiders.  It's an OL that's sometimes been good enough for Rodgers, but hasn't been as good as Brady's.  Rodgers makes his OLine look better with his pocket presence, footwork, mobility, and ability to manipulate the point of attack.

FO's O-line rankings in regards to passpro are questionable. They rely entirely on sacks, which depends on a lot of other factors aside from the OL, such as the quality of the QB, his ability to read the defense pre-snap and adjust passpro, how quickly the QB releases the ball, the type of offense the team runs, etc.

If you don't believe me, check out FO's passpro O-line rankings for Indy and Denver with and without Manning. Indy's O-line didn't suddenly go from top 5 to awful in 2011, and Denver's didn't suddenly jump from bad to one of the best in the league in 2012. For another example, you could check out FOs' passpro O-line ranking for NE in 2007 (4th), 2008 (26th), and 2009 (2nd).

3 hours ago, childofpudding said:

FO's O-line rankings in regards to passpro are questionable. They rely entirely on sacks, which depends on a lot of other factors aside from the OL, such as the quality of the QB, his ability to read the defense pre-snap and adjust passpro, how quickly the QB releases the ball, the type of offense the team runs, etc.

If you don't believe me, check out FO's passpro O-line rankings for Indy and Denver with and without Manning. Indy's O-line didn't suddenly go from top 5 to awful in 2011, and Denver's didn't suddenly jump from bad to one of the best in the league in 2012. For another example, you could check out FOs' passpro O-line ranking for NE in 2007 (4th), 2008 (26th), and 2009 (2nd).

Correct. Also Brady has better in pocket footwork. Rodgers is a better out of pocket scrambler. Also Brady has a quicker release which also effects the stat. There's a lot that goes into it. Brady had a crap oline most of 2015. It just looked better than it was because of Brady. When he played a secondary like Demver's which forced him to hold the ball a little bit longer, it got exposed 

On 9/18/2017 at 10:49 PM, The Third Rider said:

I remember when getting just 1 super bowl was the only validation you needed. Now consistently making the playoffs means your talent is being wasted...

This is because of what the Patriots have been doing.  The success they have had is ridiculous and unprecedented.  I seriously doubt we'll see another run like they have again in our lifetime.  

22 hours ago, lancerman said:

Correct. Also Brady has better in pocket footwork. Rodgers is a better out of pocket scrambler. Also Brady has a quicker release which also effects the stat. There's a lot that goes into it. Brady had a crap oline most of 2015. It just looked better than it was because of Brady. When he played a secondary like Demver's which forced him to hold the ball a little bit longer, it got exposed 

I seriously doubt Brady has a faster release than Rodgers.

1 minute ago, Hunter2_1 said:
16 minutes ago, Pugger said:

I seriously doubt Brady has a faster release than Rodgers.

According to Cris Collingsworth, it's the fastest in league.

According to Collingsworth everyone has an elite release time hahah

21 hours ago, Jlowe22 said:

It depends on what argument you're using it for right?  If it's your QB that gets sacked a lot, it's the oline's fault.  If it's someone else's QB, then it's their own fault.

Rodgers is responsible for soooo many of his sacks. 

24 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

You can never use sack stats to judge an OL. A sack can be a Von Miller-like undressing of the tackle, bending in to destroy the QB in 2 seconds. But it could also be a QB trips over his feet, and the defender gets his pinky on him. Flawed. 

Or of course, the QB holding the ball way too long and not recognizing a blitz.

Archived