2020 NFL Combine Thread

goldfishwars

This is a T Rex group of defensive backs. Short arms and wingspans all over the place. I can already feel the shock and dismay among Seahawk fans in particular. Very few of the coveted 32+ cornerbacks. 

Quite the contrast to the last couple of years when there were 32+ all over the place including from lower rated guys. 

Not surprised by Winfield and barely 30 inch arms with tiny wingspan. He always looked like he just stepped out of a compactor.

But Delpit was considerably more narrow than I realized. Wow. Jamal Adams and Derwin James have 33 arms. Grant Delpit is less than 30.5. That can account for the tackling deficit right there. The shorter your arms the instincts and technique really have to soar upward to compensate. Kind of remarkable that Winfield has done so well in that category. But if has to catch up with him, especially in space.

The high school test scores are a good guideline. The gains during college typically are overstated. You're far better off with a known quantity and work from there, than a vague impression based on tape. I guarantee if Chase Young did not have those posted high school test scores, and then somebody here asked to estimate what Chase Young would have done in those drills coming out of high school, the numbers would have been through the roof. We'd have proclamations of 4.6 or even 4.5 in the 40, and 37 inch verticals, and similar garbage. 

If we didn't have those high school numbers there would be considerably more puzzlement toward why Chase Young didn't participate here. Instead, it requires no guesswork.

The overhyped adjustments remind me of when Usain Bolt celebrated early during the 2008 Olympic 100m dash. All of a sudden you had these absurd estimates of how much time Bolt sacrificed by slowing early. People were asserting 2 tenths or more. Laughable. The experts looked at it and it was more like 5 hundredths, or exactly the time Bolt saved from 2008 when he did run through the tape in London 2012.

On 2/26/2020 at 12:22 AM, warsawian said:

Fact is these guys sitting out the combine are doing so for a reason.  If they participate they won't do as well as peers and they are protecting their draft stock.  The combine matters, anyone who says it doesn't is fooling themselves.

Chase Young sitting out is not surprising with those official HS measurables.  Although I think not participating was the right move for him, better than him coming out and running a 4.9 and having a 31" vertical as a speed rusher.  Everyone saying he would have greatly improved on his HS numbers at 17, well I disagree.  

It isn't like he hit a growth spurt and his body rapidly changed between 17 and 20.  He was 6'5 226 lbs at the time of that HS combine and he is now 6'5 260.  Believe it or not, adding 35 lbs does not drastically help your run time.  Also, it's hard to mess up a vertical jump and plenty of 17 year olds jump higher than that.  

Same thing with Thaddeus Moss, he definitely was not going to wow anyone with his measurables.  He lacks speed and explosiveness, it's evident in games. 

Vernon Davis ran a 4.5 in highschool at 6-3 220 pounds as a WR. At the combine he ran a 4.38 at 255 pounds.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Awsi Dooger said:

This is a T Rex group of defensive backs. Short arms and wingspans all over the place. I can already feel the shock and dismay among Seahawk fans in particular. Very few of the coveted 32+ cornerbacks. 

Quite the contrast to the last couple of years when there were 32+ all over the place including from lower rated guys. 

Not surprised by Winfield and barely 30 inch arms with tiny wingspan. He always looked like he just stepped out of a compactor.

But Delpit was considerably more narrow than I realized. Wow. Jamal Adams and Derwin James have 33 arms. Grant Delpit is less than 30.5. That can account for the tackling deficit right there. The shorter your arms the instincts and technique really have to soar upward to compensate. Kind of remarkable that Winfield has done so well in that category. But if has to catch up with him, especially in space.

The high school test scores are a good guideline. The gains during college typically are overstated. You're far better off with a known quantity and work from there, than a vague impression based on tape. I guarantee if Chase Young did not have those posted high school test scores, and then somebody here asked to estimate what Chase Young would have done in those drills coming out of high school, the numbers would have been through the roof. We'd have proclamations of 4.6 or even 4.5 in the 40, and 37 inch verticals, and similar garbage. 

If we didn't have those high school numbers there would be considerably more puzzlement toward why Chase Young didn't participate here. Instead, it requires no guesswork.

The overhyped adjustments remind me of when Usain Bolt celebrated early during the 2008 Olympic 100m dash. All of a sudden you had these absurd estimates of how much time Bolt sacrificed by slowing early. People were asserting 2 tenths or more. Laughable. The experts looked at it and it was more like 5 hundredths, or exactly the time Bolt saved from 2008 when he did run through the tape in London 2012.

Bad opinions are still bad. I'm guessing you're a big SPARQ guy. So are the Seahawks, and they've drafted horribly over the past few years.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, hoekd0250 said:

Hand size is non factor as how players grip the football has changed. In the 90 early 00's it was always coached to grip the 2nd and 5 lace making a player need bigger hands to grip the thicker part of the ball. Brady changed this as he grips the 1 and 3. They grip more of the back of the ball which has a small area and gives them the ability to get a tighter grip on the ball while having small hands.

Funny I remember hearing an interview about this then some guy asked Troy Aikman how he does and he said he doesnt use laces.

38 minutes ago, Awsi Dooger said:

The Lions also are looking for similar sized guys (6', 200 lbs with long arms). There's only about 9 guys at the combine that really fit that bill. 

1 hour ago, Awsi Dooger said:

Sorry but you are 100% wrong here.  Comparing a 2020 draftee based on their high school SPARQ scores over what you see on film, not to mention also after spending 3-5 years in some of the most elite training facilities + programs the US has to offer, is absurd.  

There are plenty of examples of NFL players who have notably improved their SPARQ since high school.  Assuming Chase Young has poor athletic ability because he does not want to participate in the combine when he essentially has nothing to gain from doing so is just wrong.  

• Like 4