Wuhan Coronavirus Thread

mission27

The Washington State Health Department press conference was bananas last night. Going into the press conference only one person had been confirmed dead, and only a handful of positives. The head administrator of a hospital (where the person died) goes to podium, talks a bit then says "So we have had 6 confirmed deaths".

Everyone at the press conference :

giphy.gif

Every question after that was essentially, "wait, HOW many did you say?" 

Needless to say, Washington is now in a State of Emergency. Seems like retirement communities and homeless camps are the biggest risk currently. 

13 minutes ago, animaltested said:

The Washington State Health Department press conference was bananas last night. Going into the press conference only one person had been confirmed dead, and only a handful of positives. The head administrator of a hospital (where the person died) goes to podium, talks a bit then says "So we have had 6 confirmed deaths".

Everyone at the press conference :

giphy.gif

Needless to say, Washington is now in a State of Emergency. Seems like retirement communities and homeless camps are the biggest risk currently. 

We have a corporate office in Seattle, we all got a message on Coronavirus from our COO - so we're officially on lockdown.

I WFH full time now, so it's BAU for me.

4 minutes ago, animaltested said:

Wow
The testing/confirmation part is pretty messed up in the US. There were issues with the test kits at CDC and the kits shipped to State Labs had issues too, so CDC first said, "WE are the only ones who can confirm"- but they'd only tested 450 as of late January. Then the CDC said they found a workaround with the kits and went back to allowing the State Labs to test. They are all wayyyyy behind in testing blood samples and so that's part of the problem in confirming cases and / or fatalities.

With regards to SARS and MERS, the fatalities are about the same so far, but the number of infections are way more.
Less than 10k infected for SARS and MERS vs tens of thousands infected with COVID19

13 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

If he wasn't distracted by his crippling fear of bats, he'd just be a super hero who crusades about needless gun violence. That's boring, hence, bats created batman.

Well... yeah. I guess so.

1 hour ago, Danger said:

Outside of China. Only 2.68% of cases are considered "Serious/Critical" at this point in time. Look to your left, look to your right, and then in 34 other directions, one of you is having a bad time due to the Corona Virus.

Numbers could be skewed in two directions.

Could be skewed DOWN because as the virus is spreading the majority of cases at any time are NEW cases which are less likely to have yet developed serious complications or death, and could get worse.  We saw fatality rate in China go up as the growth in new cases leveled off. 

Could be skewed UP because a lot of cases are probably not known or being reported.  Probably thousands of mild cases in the US that we dont know about yet. 

So who knows tbh.  My guess is it kills most of y’all, given FF is heavily in on the fat **** demographic.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, mission27 said:

Numbers could be skewed in two directions.

Could be skewed DOWN because as the virus is spreading the majority of cases at any time are NEW cases which are less likely to have yet developed serious complications or death, and could get worse.  We saw fatality rate in China go up as the growth in new cases leveled off. 

Could be skewed UP because a lot of cases are probably not known or being reported.  Probably thousands of mild cases in the US that we dont know about yet. 

So who knows tbh.  My guess is it kills most of y’all, given FF is heavily in on the fat **** demographic.

Could we get a ranking of pandemics/epidemics by smugness?

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

If he wasn't distracted by his crippling fear of bats, he'd just be a super hero who crusades about needless gun violence. That's boring, hence, bats created batman.

Counterpoint:

giphy.gif

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

tenor.gif

You've never seen MacGyver?

He was essentially a modern hippie and anti gun activist that the far left in the 80's would have had as their poster child. His success against human trafficking, drugs, and helping at risk children is a perfect 100%.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

You've never seen MacGyver?

He was essentially a modern hippie and anti gun activist that the far left in the 80's would have had as their poster child. His success against human trafficking, drugs, and helping at risk children is a perfect 100%.

I never have seen MacGyver, but I know the premise. I don't get how MacGyver existing undercuts that without this weird bat thing that Batman uses as a way to never emotionally address that his parents are dead, it'd just be meh.

8 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

If he wasn't distracted by his crippling fear of bats, he'd just be a super hero who crusades about needless gun violence

My counterpoint was that you just described almost verbatim the premise of MacGyver. It's revealed in Episode 2/3 that his hatred for guns revolves around his childhood best friend being killed in a tragic gun related accident when the kids were out target shooting without permission. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

My counterpoint was that you just described almost verbatim the premise of MacGyver. It's revealed in Episode 2/3 that his hatred for guns revolves around his childhood best friend being killed in a tragic gun related accident when the kids were out target shooting without permission. 

But Batman >>>>>> MacGyver (I will not hear otherwise on this). Therefore, point stands.