Wuhan Coronavirus Thread

mission27

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/03/who-is-getting-sick-and-how-sick-a-breakdown-of-coronavirus-risk-by-demographic-factors/

The death toll skews old even more strongly. Overall, China CDC found, 2.3% of confirmed cases died. But the fatality rate was 14.8% in people 80 or older, likely reflecting the presence of other diseases, a weaker immune system, or simply worse overall health. By contrast, the fatality rate was 1.3% in 50-somethings, 0.4% in 40-somethings, and 0.2% in people 10 to 39.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/#S2

Based on National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS) mortality surveillance data available on February 27, 2020, 6.9% of the deaths occurring during the week ending February 15, 2020 (week 7) were due to P&I. This percentage is below the epidemic threshold of 7.3% for week 7.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FinneasGage said:

i legit think i got it. dry and scratchy throat. noticeable decline in respiratory function. god dammit  

Rejoice mortal. Your salvation is near. Your life is buffeted by struggles like an icy wind against the flesh of the cheek. A cabin with a stoked fire is before you and you curse it? You don't deserve the Corona.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Clutchy said:

Rejoice mortal. Your salvation is near. Your life is buffeted by struggles like an icy wind against the flesh of the cheek. A cabin with a stoked fire is before you and you curse it? You don't deserve the Corona.

lmao i've been up like 40 straight hours and giggled pretty hard at this 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

What makes this so much worse than a normal flu season? Is it just because it's contagious earlier?

Or is it just the media wanting to create a panic

It attacks the body differently than a flu or cold, so it's got people freaked out.

In severe cases, it attacks the lungs and causes fluid buildup, making it really hard to breathe.  It's also really contagious.

35 minutes ago, theJ said:

It attacks the body differently than a flu or cold, so it's got people freaked out.

In severe cases, it attacks the lungs and causes fluid buildup, making it really hard to breathe.  It's also really contagious.

Fluid buildup in the lungs would suck. I imagine that does some long term damage?

1 hour ago, vikesfan89 said:

What makes this so much worse than a normal flu season? Is it just because it's contagious earlier?

Because its potential to decimate concentrated, vulnerable communities; ie Retirement Communities, Nursing Homes, Hospitals, etc. Example ; the nursing home in a suburb of Seattle. One nurse went to work, not showing any symptoms, and boom, 7 people dead. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vikesfan89 said:

Coronavirus is much more containable than the flu, so media coverage on this could be impactful and limit mortality in vulnerable populations, whereas the flu spreads regardless of how you isolate infected people.