Baltimore trades TE Hayden Hurst to Atlanta

RaidersAreOne

12 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Should've paid Hooper

No we absolutely should not have at paid him at 11 million a year that is out of the question imo.  He is not worth that and didn't make that big of a impact on our offense to do so.  If you were to offer me the option of giving 11 mil a year to Hooper or a 2nd round pick for Hurst at 3 mil im taking Hurst as he is cheaper and has more upside.  I can do as much with that 8 million saved in cap space in free agency as i can that 2nd round pick i think.

Edited by FalconFan13
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

So is spending a 2nd and 5th on a nothing TE

well we got a 4th back and its kinda  moot as its not the isse.  Are you familiar with the falcons cap situation at all? Kinda seems like not. Ive already said this before but hes a good player and a really good TE relative to whats out there... but he just wasnt worth what the falcons would have to do to sign him.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, sp6488 said:

I will throw out there that I don't think it's particularly wise to decide what position group a specific pick in a given round needs to be used on before the draft happens.

Go back and watch the Texans/Falcons game and tell me that with a straight face.

1 hour ago, Dodo said:

Have some self-respect. Everyone here, including  you, would be better at this than Bill O'Brien

I dont know Houstons organizational structure. But my guess is BOB isnt the one making these decisions or only one. That they have scouts, analyst, personnel guys who watch the footage, crunch the numbers, assess the draft values.

These are billion dollar companies, i fail to believe they are as negligent as we think they look at times on pure face value of deals.

46 minutes ago, bomont said:

Hurst is good but he better come a lot cheaper than Hooper or IMO this made no sense.

If you are talking about cap wise he is a ton cheaper as Hooper got 11 million a year and Hurst is 3 million a year over the next 3 years team controlled with a total savings of 24 million in cap space over 3 years.  I think we can use that 8 million in cap space to add another pretty good player to the team at another position of need or put it toward a legit FA DE finally to help our pass rush out.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FalconFan13 said:

If you are talking about cap wise he is a ton cheaper as Hooper got 11 million a year and Hurst is 3 million a year over the next 3 years team controlled with a total savings of 24 million in cap space over 3 years.  I think we can use that 8 million in cap space to add another pretty good player to the team at another position of need or put it toward a legit FA DE finally to help our pass rush out.

Then good move IMO.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bearerofnews said:

I dont know Houstons organizational structure. But my guess is BOB isnt the one making these decisions or only one. That they have scouts, analyst, personnel guys who watch the footage, crunch the numbers, assess the draft values.

No. BoB fired those people when he let go of Brian Gaine, and then Chris Olson. Sure, there are people with a cubicle, laptop, phone extension and title - but their job is to nod their heads at whatever crazy idea O'Brien comes up with (such as trading a three time All Pro WR for a 2nd round pick and a broken RB, or trading an All Pro LB for a 3rd round pick and ST guys). BoB make the decisions, with input from Jack Easterby - a former team chaplain for the Chiefs and Patriots, who is something they call a "character coach". Not exactly the most data driven title, right? The end results sort of feed into this as well; No data behind decisions, just a warped image of character that conforms to one doctrine - that BoB is the alpha and omega, and his word is law.

Simply put... I trust the opinions of literally anyone on this forum over Bill O'Brien. And O'Brien's sole opinion is the driving direction of the Houston Texans.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, bomont said:

Then good move IMO.

Actually it's even less than i thought after looking at his contract on a few sites and  from one of the Falcons posters it's 1.4 mil this year and 1.9 mil next year.  So we actually gain like 9 to 10 million a year over Hoopers price.  I also looked at the TE class from last year picked in round 2 and Irv Smith JR is making 1.4 million as well so with cap going up theirs a good chance a rookie 2nd round TE this year would cost more than Hurst is making lol.  Although im pretty sure it would be pretty much identical so it didn't even cost us more against the cap than our own rookie pick would have been.

Edited by FalconFan13
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, FalconFan13 said:

Actually it's even less than i thought after looking at his contract on a few sites and  from one of the Falcons posters it's 1.4 mil this year and 1.9 mil next year.  So we actually gain like 9 to 10 million a year over Hoopers price.  I also looked at the TE class from last year picked in round 2 and Irv Smith JR is making 1.4 million as well so with cap going up theirs a good chance a rookie 2nd round TE this year would cost more than Hurst is making lol.  Although im pretty sure it would be pretty much identical so it didn't even cost us more against the cap than our own rookie pick would have been.

To be fair, this isnt really accurate. all that matters essentially is the cap hit and guaranteed money. The structure should come out in a day or two, however the real savings from hooper to hurst is likely more like 7-8... maybe? Anyway, we werent resigning hooper at what he was going to get, and as goof as he was, theres a chance HUrst will be better. Hes a  different player and he might improve our offense more than bringing hooper back. 

also, we could get a 4th next year as a comp for him, maybe a 5th if spending goes crazy.

16 hours ago, Hukos said:

Go back and watch the Texans/Falcons game and tell me that with a straight face.

I didn't say it's not a need for the team. I'm saying that the plan being "we will draft a CB with our second round pick, no matter what" is a great way to get horrible value and erode the overall team talent level.

• Like 1