Vikings trade WR Diggs to Bills

RaidersAreOne

7 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

Diggs was a 5th round pick. We turned that into a 1st, 5th, 6th and a 4th next year.

And how has this team done with all of its other 5th and 6th rounders? 

25 picks in the 5th and 6th rounds since Spielman has taken over as GM, and he’s found 1 starter. Diggs. 

We traded one proven starter for one potential starter. That’s not a haul. 

Edited by SemperFeist

i'm really happy with this trade, and not because i don't love diggs' ability, which i do. i just agree with the philosophy that if someone doesn't buy in to the team then get rid of them. the outcome though has a ton of ripple effects, and we got good compensation in return.

- we save ~$5 million towards the cap this year. this, while helpful, is one of the smallest factors.

- our offense, realistically, does not have the capacity for two "true" WR1s. having both diggs and thielen was a luxury and when you look at it an inefficient allocation of talent. 

- our cap situation going forward will continue to be a struggle. we have quality vets that we've developed and signed long-term. we just gave cousins an extension. his cap hit will be $45 million in 2022, and while cutting him that season is a possibility with only $10 million of that in dead money, whomever diggs' rookie replacement is will make a fraction of diggs' $15 million cap hit that season. as long as they don't completely underwhelm and do provide solid WR2 production then it's a huge win. 

- we now have 12 draft picks this season. spielman loves to hoard picks and while we don't have as much draft ammo as the dolphins, we should have MORE than enough for rick to maneuver around, find the sweet spots, etc. we have a ton of needs and while we traded diggs we can address more spots than a WR2 opposite thielen with the extra draft compensation.

- i'm still not sure whether it's a positive or negative to have this many draft picks when the pre-draft process is incomplete (and so in theory teams won't be making some picks with 100% of the information they want) but if teams in general hit less on players this draft we'll still have more chances, and there's always the option of trading for future picks.

in terms of his replacement, we'll obviously have to draft someone that is capable of starting day one. all three of jerry jeudy, ceedee lamb and henry ruggs will 99.9% be gone by the time we pick but i'd be very content if we moved down to the early second round and grabbed either tee higgins or denzel mims (depending on how the board shakes out leading up to our picks).to be honest we could probably wait a little longer and add two mid-round receivers and form a WR2 committee with those to and bisi.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

25 picks in the 5th and 6th rounds since Spielman has taken over as GM, and he’s found 1 starter. Diggs. 

Shamar Stephen - 7th rounder Starter last season

Stephen Weatherly just got a big contract. - Should get us a comp pick next year.- 7th rounder

Ifeadi Odenigbo - 7th rounder Possible starter this year. Had a great 2019 season.

Oli Udoh - 6th rounder Showed some promise last season

Kris Boyd - 7th Rounder Also showed some promise

Austin Cutting - 7th Rounder 10 year long snapper

Olabisi Johnson - 7th Rounder Nice WR depth

A lot of our 6th rounders have been plucked off of our practice squad before we could develop them.

Edited by TENINCH

If we are intent on running the type of offensive system that Zimmer is adamant about using, then it didn't make sense for us to have two highly compensated outside receiving threats.  This team is going to be in 21, 12, and maybe even 22 personnel quite often.

Diggs was one of my favorite players, but with him not wanting to be here this was a very good return.

The draft is certainly going to be more intriguing now with five picks in the top 105.

• Like 2

If I recall correctly, the only reason Diggs was a 5th round pick was because he got injured his junior year at Maryland and didn't recover quickly...thus, having sub par senior season.  If he hadn't been injured he would have gone much higher in the draft, in my opinion.

12 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

Terrible. Bad decisions today. I’ve been a fairly staunch supporter, but this is stupid.

You can think it's terrible, but as I iterated often over the last month, you can't keep a guy who doesn't want to be there...and it was evidently clear to me (even if he hadn't commented for months until recently) that he didn't want to be there...for whatever reason (apparently, it has to be Kirk).  Therefore, Spielman did as well as he could under the circumstances.  As far as the other moves, I'm not sure they can be judged as bad decisions yet.  I personally don't think they were all that bad.  

9 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

But he’s been demonized as such, in the media as well as amongst fans on this site.

the vitriol towards him has been unfair. Even the Moss comparison doesn’t hold water.

I’ll ask again since no one seems to want to answer my question: Why doesn’t Adam Theilen get knocked for his outbursts and antics, which have been at least on par with, if not worse than Diggs’ over the years?

I've never been all that concerned about on-field antics from Diggs or Thielen (even as I wish they didn't happen).  It's the off-field antics that I'm concerned about.  And Thielen never quit on the team.  Diggs did.  That's the difference.  And it's a huge difference.  I was fine with Diggs and had no qualms about him until that incident.  However, after that point, I felt that he probably needed to be moved, because that made it evident that he didn't want to be there.

• Like 2

I love it. Diggs is good, but I've always said Thielen is the better WR, and there is no need to have two highly paid WRs on a Zimmer team. Those picks and the extra cap room should go a long way to replacing depth that priced their way out of the roster.

If that 1st round pick turns into a starting OL/DL, this is a great move in my book.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

Shamar Stephen - 7th rounder Starter last season

Stephen Weatherly just got a big contract. - Should get us a comp pick next year.- 7th rounder

Ifeadi Odenigbo - 7th rounder Possible starter this year. Had a great 2019 season.

Oli Udoh - 6th rounder Showed some promise last season

Kris Boyd - 7th Rounder Also showed some promise

Austin Cutting - 7th Rounder 10 year long snapper

Olabisi Johnson - 7th Rounder Nice WR depth

A lot of our 6th rounders have been plucked off of our practice squad before we could develop them.

None of those guys are good, let alone elite. They are starters because the team had massive holes. Look, everyone here knows that the huge, vast majority of players taken in round four and later, across the league, never even play more than a year or two. Let's not pretend it is likely any of the picks matter past the first. They could be good, but they aren't likely to be good. Those are the facts of how the draft works.

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

Bisi Johnson and Austin Cutting this past season. Both will play significant roles this season.

Ifeadi Odenigbo in 2017. 3rd DE. Had a huge year last season.

Brothers, Morgan, Weatherly and Kearse. All were great role players for us.

Shamar Stephen in 2014. A starter.

Jeff Locke in 2013. 4 year starter.

We've had our failures under Spielman (no contribution from 1st round pick/player from 2016 or 2017) but he's built a very competitive roster with good picks in every round. He's a good GM. I trust the process.

3 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

YES! 

The offense that would have seemingly made Diggs happy is a model of offense that the league is evolving towards, that the rules are changing to accommodate, and that college football is creating greater talent for. 

Good teams, good coaches adapt and change their schemes to fit the players they have, especially their good players. Right now, the Vikings are devolving into an organization that is deciding to choose a scheme and style of offense over the players because the Head Coach has an antiquated philosophy on football. 

You have to run the system that fits your most important player, the QB.  And the model of offense that you believe the league is evolving towards does not fit the mold of the QB that currently occupies the spot.  The Vikings don't have Patrick Mahomes, DeShaun Watson or Lamar Jackson.   Until you realize that, I'm not sure there is any move that would have satisfied you.  They have to run the system that best allows them to win with the personnel they have.  It's not like they are running the Norv system with a QB not suited for it.  At least they are running the system suited for their QB.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

None of those guys are good, let alone elite. They are starters because the team had massive holes. Look, everyone here knows that the huge, vast majority of players taken in round four and later, across the league, never even play more than a year or two. Let's not pretend it is likely any of the picks matter past the first. They could be good, but they aren't likely to be good. Those are the facts of how the draft works.

I'm pretty sure Minnesota has been highly regarded around the NFL for building a deep team and sustaining that depth year after year.

Trading Diggs doesn't change that.

Just now, Bullet Club said:

On the Vikings how important is it really to have a lot of talent at WR with the offense they run? Could they snag one in the 2nd round in this super deep class and be okay?

I don't believe it's all that important, considering the QB is one who spreads the ball around to various wide receivers. And yes, they'll be okay if they get one in the 2nd or 3rd round.  It's not all that critical, in my opinion.  Although, there are certainly several around here that disagree.