Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

40 minutes ago, acowboys62 said:

Did you read what I said? I didn’t say perplexed...I said upset. They were visibly upset the market was not down more because we all now how that gets spun. No one with half a sense of economics should be perplexed. Then again I don’t think the qualifications for journalisms go beyond “can smile” anymore. 

Im perplexed that the markets didnt crash even more after the last jobs report. . .

16 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I'm totally going to brag on my grocery store...

https://www.khou.com/mobile/article/news/health/coronavirus/h-e-b-now-carrying-houston-restaurant-made-meals-during-covid-19-pandemic/285-f5ed3068-b161-437b-a624-4a81e0e4f16f

So, on top of being very aware of the pandemic situation months in advance, they're now partnering with local restaurants to stock pre-made meals in their stores - with all proceeds going to the local restaurants.

I get goosebumps reading this, oddly enough. To see a company truly understand a major catastrophe coming, properly adapting their business operations and now stepping in to provide a revenue stream to local businesses to keep them afloat? I'm so proud of this company - if that's a thing. HEB is doing such a great job here in Texas.

That's awesome.  Wish they were in my area to support.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mistakey said:

Im perplexed that the markets didnt crash even more after the last jobs report. . .

They were likely projecting for worse numbers to be honest.  

Also, a lot of people are still trading and buying and stockpiling stocks for the inevitable upturn.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, acowboys62 said:

I have tried to look but not success...is any Coronavirus known to have a vaccine?  This is the family in which a common cold can come from right?  Zero cure for that.  I think people hoping for a vaccine may be let down.  Otherwise that would tell me they could have a vaccine for the common cold and just never bothered because it is not a severe/killer...

The common cold can be caused by at least 200 different viruses including various rhinoviruses, coronaviruses, and influenzas.  So its not as simple as developing one vaccine.  You'd need many vaccines and that + the fact that its not a killer explains why its unlikely to be cured any time soon

Similar with the seasonal flu, there are so many strains of influenza, the vaccine you get every year is meant to protect you against the strains that are likely to be most prevalent based upon, among other things, looking at what strains are circulating most in the southern hemisphere (#seasonality) 

For example the 2019-20 vaccine: 

The committee recommended that the trivalent formulation influenza vaccines for the U.S. 2019-2020 influenza season contain the following:

• an A/Brisbane/02/2018 (H1N1)pdm09-like virus;
  • an A/Kansas/14/2017 (H3N2)-like virus;
  • a B/Colorado/06/2017-like virus (B/Victoria lineage).

One of the holy grails of medical research is a hypothetical universal influenza vaccine.

The other thing you have to think about with vaccines is funding.  Someone needs to fund the research either for commercial purposes or public health reasons.  The other coronaviruses that would have been good target for a vaccine were SARS and MERS.  There was a lot of research on a vaccine during the SARS crisis in 2003-04 but that epidemic burned out quickly and only infected 8k and there were no known cases after 2004, so the research stopped.  MERS has only infected 2500 people worldwide over the last 8 years.  Its not close to as infectious as this and traditional public health intervention has shown to be effective.  

SARS-CoV-2 which causes COVID-19 is a different animal.  Its discrete and relatively stable virus (i.e. mutates very little) and is now essentially the sole focus of all medical and scientific research on the entire planet, with virtually unlimited funding.  We've never seen anything like that.  And there are already a large number of vacine candidates. So there's good reason to think we will have a vaccine a year or two from now.  But there are no guarantees. 

• Like 3

California Governor Gavin Newsom thinks his state is more than five months away from being ready to pack tens of thousands of people into a stadium. Newsom said today that California’s battle against the coronavirus pandemic is unlikely to have made sufficient progress for the football season to be played as normal.

Newsom: “I’m not anticipating that happening in this state. We’ve all seen the headlines over the last couple days in Asia where they opening up certain businesses and now they’re starting to roll back those openings because they’re starting seeing some spread and there’s a boomerang. One has to be very cautious here, one has to be careful not to overpromise.”

“I would move very cautiously in that expectation. Our decision on that basis here in the State of California will be determined by the facts, will be determined by the health experts, will be determined by our ability to meet this moment and bend the curve. Right now I’m just focusing on the immediate, but that’s not something I anticipate happening in the next few months.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/04/04/california-governor-not-anticipating-football-in-full-stadiums-this-year/

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ET80 said:

Who said anything about all? All is a pretty encompassing word. I never said all, I specifically went into a hierarchy of what should and should not be done.

I'll state it again - under no circumstances should you cram 80,000 people into a single building right now or in the immediate future - not unless you have a reliable, scalable countermeasure (vaccine or multiple treatment options to account for all situations). Concerts, Conventions, Sporting Events - if you can't do these things in a virtual or streaming setting, don't do them - full stop.

I never said you were, nor was it directed at you. There was one person in particular on here who was pushing for all non-essential jobs to remain closed until we have a vaccine.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, mistakey said:

I'm sure you know this already but markets aren't always a good indicator of how the economy is doing.  It's nice for my 401K when it does well but has too many other variables that keep it from providing a good picture of the economy especially its stability.

48 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

California Governor Gavin Newsom thinks his state is more than five months away from being ready to pack tens of thousands of people into a stadium. Newsom said today that California’s battle against the coronavirus pandemic is unlikely to have made sufficient progress for the football season to be played as normal.

Newsom: “I’m not anticipating that happening in this state. We’ve all seen the headlines over the last couple days in Asia where they opening up certain businesses and now they’re starting to roll back those openings because they’re starting seeing some spread and there’s a boomerang. One has to be very cautious here, one has to be careful not to overpromise.”

“I would move very cautiously in that expectation. Our decision on that basis here in the State of California will be determined by the facts, will be determined by the health experts, will be determined by our ability to meet this moment and bend the curve. Right now I’m just focusing on the immediate, but that’s not something I anticipate happening in the next few months.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/04/04/california-governor-not-anticipating-football-in-full-stadiums-this-year/

This seems like the only responsible take here. Nobody can say anything with any certainty about what things are going to look like 5 months from now. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TLO said:

This seems like the only responsible take here. Nobody can say anything with any certainty about what things are going to look like 5 months from now. 

All I know is the MoL will be holding a summit on Friday, June 12th 

If Gavin thinks he can shut that down he's got another thing coming

• Like 1