Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

10 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Everyone being home now.  Kids aren't at school and doing stuff after school, so they are home and use the bathroom at home.  If you are working from home now, that's 8-12 hours that you are now home to use the bathroom there, instead of at the office.  Moms who are normally out and about and use the bathroom on the road if they have to are now home too.  Everyone being home instead of using the work or public bathrooms leads to needing more toilet paper.  

Also, you have the hoarders, and then you have people who are hoarding it because of the hoarders, and it continues to be a vicious cycle.  I always shopped out of need, and while that might not change after this for food, but you can bet that I am going to keep plenty of toilet paper, butt wipes, Clorox wipes and paper towels on hand when this is all said and done.  

And really, you could use other items, but none of them can be flushed down the toilet, and who wants to use a wash cloth and have to wash it?  

Hoarding is only a small portion of the problem, if it is at all.

The consumer and commercial markets for toilet paper are markedly different. Toilet paper that is bought by businesses for use by their employees or customers is typically large rolls of single ply paper made from recycled material that is purchased through wholesalers and other large suppliers (think Sysco, for example).  Toilet paper for individual consumers/families that is available from retail stores like the supermarket is typically plusher, multiple ply, and made from virgin fibers.  The supply chains and manufacturing plants for these two different types of products are basically entirely separate. But what they do have in common is that their infrastructure and production capacity was already maxed out because demand for both types of toilet paper is relatively constant. People need a similar amount of toilet paper, always.

So the increased demand you have from consumers, who require more use at home, has wiped out the supply at retail stores.  And because production was already maxed out, we aren't seeing stock return to what we are used to seeing.  What is produced is immediately bought.

I do not know if the companies that produce commercial paper are retooling their production to meet the consumer demand.  Altering their supply chains would be difficult and converting their production infrastructure costly.  It is uncertain how long we will all be working from home, so those companies must decide whether making the switch would be worth it.  Because once things normalize a bit, they'd have costs associated with switching back production to their typical operations.

Just a crappy situation, pun not intended.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, fraziafraze07 said:

Hoarding is only a small portion of the problem, if it is at all.

The consumer and commercial markets for toilet paper are markedly different. Toilet paper that is bought by businesses for use by their employees or customers is typically large rolls of single ply paper made from recycled material that is purchased through wholesalers and other large suppliers (think Sysco, for example).  Toilet paper for individual consumers/families that is available from retail stores like the supermarket is typically plusher, multiple ply, and made from virgin fibers.  The supply chains and manufacturing plants for these two different types of products are basically entirely separate. But what they do have in common is that their infrastructure and production capacity was already maxed out because demand for both types of toilet paper is relatively constant. People need a similar amount of toilet paper, always.

So the increased demand you have from consumers, who require more use at home, has wiped out the supply at retail stores.  And because production was already maxed out, we aren't seeing stock return to what we are used to seeing.  What is produced is immediately bought.

I do not know if the companies that produce commercial paper are retooling their production to meet the consumer demand.  Altering their supply chains would be difficult and converting their production infrastructure costly.  It is uncertain how long we will all be working from home, so those companies must decide whether making the switch would be worth it.  Because once things normalize a bit, they'd have costs associated with switching back production to their typical operations.

Just a crappy situation, pun not intended.

Good information to know.  I didn't even think about there being two separate supply chains for this.  It would be a costly changeover, but wouldn't their current stock levels that aren't being used be enough to buy them more time to switch back if they did switch over?  Obviously I don't know the cost for them to do that, and that may prohibit it.  The situation of raw materials also contributes. 

8 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Good information to know.  I didn't even think about there being two separate supply chains for this.  It would be a costly changeover, but wouldn't their current stock levels that aren't being used be enough to buy them more time to switch back if they did switch over?  Obviously I don't know the cost for them to do that, and that may prohibit it.  The situation of raw materials also contributes. 

I exhausted my knowledge of the situation in my previous post.  Your guess is as good as mine.  Time will tell.  In the mean time, hopefully we don't have to resort to washcloths.  Although one of my close friends has been using a bidet for years and years and he swears by it.  So maybe that's an option if it comes down to it.

4 minutes ago, fraziafraze07 said:

I exhausted my knowledge of the situation in my previous post.  Your guess is as good as mine.  Time will tell.  In the mean time, hopefully we don't have to resort to washcloths.  Although one of my close friends has been using a bidet for years and years and he swears by it.  So maybe that's an option if it comes down to it.

Yeah, getting the bidet now might not be a bad idea considering how toilet paper has gone off the shelves.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Yeah, getting the bidet now might not be a bad idea considering how toilet paper has gone off the shelves.  

I mean, the bulk stuff you usually find at gas station bathrooms and what not is still available on Amazon. I've probably got a 3-4 month supply left right now, if it comes down to it...not afraid to buy that stuff if I need to.

4 minutes ago, D82 said:

I mean, the bulk stuff you usually find at gas station bathrooms and what not is still available on Amazon. I've probably got a 3-4 month supply left right now, if it comes down to it...not afraid to buy that stuff if I need to.

Agreed 100%.  My mother has a stockpile of it, and gave me a few if needed.  

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Everyone being home now.  Kids aren't at school and doing stuff after school, so they are home and use the bathroom at home.  If you are working from home now, that's 8-12 hours that you are now home to use the bathroom there, instead of at the office.  Moms who are normally out and about and use the bathroom on the road if they have to are now home too.  Everyone being home instead of using the work or public bathrooms leads to needing more toilet paper.  

Also, you have the hoarders, and then you have people who are hoarding it because of the hoarders, and it continues to be a vicious cycle.  I always shopped out of need, and while that might not change after this for food, but you can bet that I am going to keep plenty of toilet paper, butt wipes, Clorox wipes and paper towels on hand when this is all said and done.  

And really, you could use other items, but none of them can be flushed down the toilet, and who wants to use a wash cloth and have to wash it?  

My wife and I both work from home and the kids are whatever, it’s like 2 rolls a week tops unless you’ve got some GI issues.

Worst case scenario, hop in the shower.  It’s the dumbest thing ever to panic buy.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

The bidet is a game changer. Just don’t set the pressure too high 😂

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dome said:

People still out of TP?

its been on store shelves here every day since The Great TP Panic of 2020... places were out about a week then everywhere got stocked back up.

I've only seen at once (at Sams Club last week) in my area and that's been it.  Tissues are barely back in stock at the chain grocery stores.  

Just now, naptownskinsfan said:

I've only seen at once (at Sams Club last week) in my area and that's been it.  Tissues are barely back in stock at the chain grocery stores.  

Sheesh. 

Well we’re still limiting to one per person here even though inventories are back up. Hopefully the manufacturers and (most likely) the warehouses that already have the TP and have for weeks can start sending the surplus TP where it’s needed.

2 hours ago, Dome said:

Sheesh. 

Well we’re still limiting to one per person here even though inventories are back up. Hopefully the manufacturers and (most likely) the warehouses that already have the TP and have for weeks can start sending the surplus TP where it’s needed.

Yeah, we are down to one per person too, and alas, here we are.  Though with all of the federal government jobs and military jobs in Maryland (and a lot of them living in my area) and likely working from home, I guess I understand it.  

I’m not surprised by the push to open gyms, though I’m wondering how smart that is. With everyone cooped up during these times, the physical and mental health aspects are a real issue. For a lot of people, working out is a stress reliever and huge outlet. There are various tangible benefits. I do wonder what steps can be taken for this to be practiced safely, and you wouldn’t think this would be an initial business opening. On the other hand I see the positives, if it’s somehow done safely. 

Don’t see it with the movie theaters though. We can all watch Netflix. Plus I’m not aware of all of that many good movies scheduled for the summer. 

• Like 1