Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

Pretty crazy we may have a vaccine mass produced early next year. Science really is incredible. Hopefully project Warp Speed comes to fruition.

Of course many people won't get vaccinated due to trust issues of it being expedited. Still, if we can get a large portion of the vulnerable population, healthcare workers, and some of the younger population vaccinated- then it'll have a huge effect on the R0 value and the amount of people it sends to ICUs. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

It means that there are additional potential issues since it's a new mechanism of action for a drug so there's a slight additional risk with this compared to a normal vaccine at this stage, but yeah it's a landmark that we've been able to take the concept of RNA interference and turn it into a working vaccine.

Granted, there were some adverse events so it's not like everything went perfectly, but they got a huge immune response at all of the dose levels and even the 250 ug dose was tolerated without any serious AEs, so I don't see why they could go with the 100 ug dose.

Huge step for science. We're watching it drastically evolve right before our eyes. Scientists really are incredible people. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

This is really good info. Thank you!

I'm going to copy and paste this on another forum I venture. I'll site the source, of course, though the forum I venture is full of Bills fans, so they may throw your opinion to the trash since you're a filthy Rams fan. :P 

Also, no concerns for long-term health effects? 

• Like 1

Just now, WizeGuy said:

This is really good info. Thank you!

I'm going to copy and paste this on another forum I venture. I'll site the source, of course, though the forum I venture is full of Bills fans, so they may throw your opinion to the trash since you're a filthy Rams fan. :P 

Also, no concerns for long-term health effects? 

The vaccine is cleared systemically within 48 hours (realistically, less than that, but we'll be conservative). So there is no reason to suspect any long term effects beyond the immune response. 

• Like 1

Status update, Ohio edition:

Governor DeWine’s scheduled press conference was moved to 5:30 PM EST (from 2:00 PM EST) the day that HS Athletic mandates and guidelines expires (TODAY). My prediction:

GentleVariableApe-max-1mb.gif

He will either cancel HS Fall sports (use words like “indefinitely postpone), make it impossible for each local district to participate with testing, cost burdens, guidelines, etc., or even start the shutdown of the state again.

12 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Yeah with all the bickering and hypocritical BS going on in this thread, I felt the need to post it lol.

Didn't recognize you with the name change, but you're still putting in work, my man. Great news.

I sent the NEJM article to my cousin (who is the Director of Analytics at one of the largest hospitals in Houston) and he casually sent it to a few of the doctors he knows personally for feedback - they've been reading it for a while and are all really excited on this development.

This... might be something huge for us.

• Like 2

Where's good news guy?

I'll take his spot for now...

Positive news on Oxford/AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine could come on Thursday: ITV

https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-oxford-vaccine-itv/positive-news-on-oxford-astrazeneca-covid-19-vaccine-could-come-on-thursday-itv-idUKKCN24G1BD

Quotes I've read suggest the vaccine is creating the desired immune response and producing T-Cells and Antibodies.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

Didn't recognize you with the name change, but you're still putting in work, my man. Great news.

I sent the NEJM article to my cousin (who is the Director of Analytics at one of the largest hospitals in Houston) and he casually sent it to a few of the doctors he knows personally for feedback - they've been reading it for a while and are all really excited on this development.

This... might be something huge for us.

I usually go by avatars lol. 

That's good they are excited about this. Between that and what the people on Reddit are saying, this looks good. Just hoping that this and AZD-1222 can be what we're looking for b/c they seem to be many months ahead of anything else in development. Been reading a lot of other studies that are interesting as well and one being cholesterol drug that's commonly used could reduce this thing to nothing more than a common cold:

https://hamodia.com/2020/07/14/common-cholesterol-drug-surprise-treatment-covid-19/

"In lab studies, the cholesterol-lowering drug Fenofibrate (Tricor) showed extremely promising results. By allowing lung cells to burn more fat, fenofibrate breaks the virus’ grip on these cells, and prevents SARS CoV-2’s ability to reproduce. In fact, within only five days of treatment, the virus almost completely disappeared, according to a press release from Hebrew U. on Tuesday."

I'm just making this a one-off b/c I find it interesting. I'm glad you like when I link stuff like this but the common banter just gets me in trouble so I refrain from coming in here much lol. I just want this ******* thing to end. 

8 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I usually go by avatars lol. 

I just figured someone else had your quirky yet great style. Glad to know you're still one in a billion. :D

9 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Been reading a lot of other studies that are interesting as well and one being cholesterol drug that's commonly used could reduce this thing to nothing more than a common cold

Wow... just, wow! This would be great!

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

Status update, Ohio edition:

Governor DeWine’s scheduled press conference was moved to 5:30 PM EST (from 2:00 PM EST) the day that HS Athletic mandates and guidelines expires (TODAY). My prediction:

GentleVariableApe-max-1mb.gif

He will either cancel HS Fall sports (use words like “indefinitely postpone), make it impossible for each local district to participate with testing, cost burdens, guidelines, etc., or even start the shutdown of the state again.

At this rate I’m not sure schools open, never mind sports.

Sports are toast.  We just had a HS student test positive here and they had to shut down practices, etc as everyone was exposed.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

At this rate I’m not sure schools open, never mind sports.

Dude I just hope he cancels now. I’m 2 weeks into camp at 7 hours a pop out in the sun, and so help me, if we go through two a days in August just to be canceled a week before our first game, I’m going to be irate.

11 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Sports are toast.  We just had a HS student test positive here and they had to shut down practices, etc as everyone was exposed.  

Go back a few pages and see what our school protocol is. It won’t last after September based upon trajectory/projections.