Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

20 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Granted, and yeah I’m not used to the bigger schools, but... Still.  The point remains.  If that means some schools open and others don’t... Well, there you go.  Not black and white.

All the schools I went to from first to senior with the possible exception of my senior year could realistically have social distanced.  

I think shortening periods, lengthening school day, and having different days could work in a LOT of schools.

Also having a virtual opt out option, too.

That I will agree with.   rural schools likely will be opening.   but schools in more urban and suburban areas are going to have a hard time with the process.  

26 minutes ago, squire12 said:

That I will agree with.   rural schools likely will be opening.   but schools in more urban and suburban areas are going to have a hard time with the process.  

Do you think it’s feasible with, say 30% opting for virtual classrooms, and extended school days, shortened classes?

A period is what, 50 minutes now?

Shorten that to 25 minutes and you’ve just halved the kids in a class.

Obviously I’m not the best one to plan it, but I feel like school could go back in some capacity at relative safety.  

I personally don’t WANT school to go back, but I think it could.

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

Do you think it’s feasible with, say 30% opting for virtual classrooms, and extended school days, shortened classes?

Obviously I’m not the best one to plan it, but I feel like school could go back in some capacity at relative safety.  

What lessons can really be done in 25 minutes? Is the point to just have kids or teachers move between classes more frequently?

3 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

What lessons can really be done in 25 minutes? Is the point to just have kids or teachers move between classes more frequently?

I don’t know I’m not in education.  I assumed teachers would stay in one classroom and the classrooms would have less people in them at a time.  

I think school is an important part of a person’s development.  Not just for the education, but the social development.  

I think school is an important part of a person’s development.  Not just for the education, but the social development.  

We all get that, no on is debating that at all.

I appreciate out of the box ideas, but how do you implement them?  Are they even feasible?

Each kid goes one day per week.  Good idea.  Now, are busses running a different schedule each day of the week?  Seems like a logistical nightmare. Is it the same day?  Who picks the day, students and parents based on their schedule or are they assigned a day?  

As far as busses, how are you socially distancing?  

How are lunches done?  Indoor dining is at reduced capacity, how do you do that in a cafeteria?

What happens when a kid forgets a mask or wears it on his chin with his schnoz and mouth hanging out?  Is someone going to enforce that up to and including removal from school?

Im firmly in the camp of i want my kids to go back to school, but I can’t in good conscience send them as both my wife and I work from home (and did before Covid) and we have no idea how this is going to go.  I also understand not everyone is in that same position.

I hope it goes well, I hope they figure it out, but I’m not in a hurry to let my kid be the canary in the coal mine.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Are 30 % opting for virtual?  Is that what has been found via survey, or is it what would work based on running the numbers?

How does extending the day look?  Kids capacity to learn gets tapped out after a set number of hours.  Having them stay longer very likely does not improve their education.    It satisfies their accounted hours in school, which should not be the focus.

Shortened classes, but longer school days?  That seems to contradict each other.

50 minutes is typical for a 7 or 8 period day.  Block schedule is like 90 minutes.....instruction in the start, then concentrated work with Q and A from teacher and collaborate work among peers.

Actual instruction time is now like 15to 20 minutes.  Sanitize pre and post class consumes part of that 25 minutes.

7 hours ago, SwAg said:

I’ve seen about 10 people independently make your original point now.  Do you all get these rhetorical points in newsletters or something?

I’m only going to speak for issues I have witnessed and am aware of pertaining to kids I teach and coach that are variable to them and my community.

@LETSGOBROWNIES hopefully this answers your question as well. I’m not speaking from a point of absolute data, but one can connect the dots within the overall picture. If it’s happening here to these kids, then I’m sure it is elsewhere.

7 hours ago, SwAg said:

To me, it’s just speculative (albeit probable) vs. definitive (and absolute).  

See above. 

7 hours ago, SwAg said:

Child abuse is bad, but the failure of other resources does not relegate that burden to educators.

True

7 hours ago, SwAg said:

Nor is it the responsibility of parents who do not abuse their children to “take one for the team” and send their child out in a pandemic that a substantial portion of the country does not take seriously.

Also true

7 hours ago, SwAg said:

If you want to address child abuse, maybe elect people who care about it, instead of those who think hitting your children is a constitutional right.

Are you speaking to me or in generalities? Because if it’s to me, then that’s laughable. 

The fact that you decided to willfully ignore the other points in my initial post and harp on this off the cuff example is also a bit perplexing. 

Apparently saying “districts have a lot to weigh” and then listing a handful of examples was a mistake. I’ll see myself out. 

5 hours ago, MWil23 said:

I’m only going to speak for issues I have witnessed and am aware of pertaining to kids I teach and coach that are variable to them and my community.

@LETSGOBROWNIES hopefully this answers your question as well. I’m not speaking from a point of absolute data, but one can connect the dots within the overall picture. If it’s happening here to these kids, then I’m sure it is elsewhere.

See above. 

True

Also true

Are you speaking to me or in generalities? Because if it’s to me, then that’s laughable. 

The fact that you decided to willfully ignore the other points in my initial post and harp on this off the cuff example is also a bit perplexing. 

Apparently saying “districts have a lot to weigh” and then listing a handful of examples was a mistake. I’ll see myself out. 

Yeah, I clearly was talking about you, and, boy howdy, did I mean you specifically.  Should be obvious from the second-person pronoun, which is never used generally.

Also, all I did was delineate what is becoming sought-after exceptions to the general issue.

23 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Food for thought, teacher speaking.

The assumption that staying at home for a good many of these kids is safer than potentially being exposed to this is problematic and an implicit logical fallacy. Child abuse and pedophilia are both WAY up, and the law of unintended consequences is as well, such as kids going without meals. We’ve had 3 kids die at their own hands since March.

I’m not saying that the decision shouldn’t be made based upon this, but I’m trying to show that this isn’t as much of a “no brain” decision as some. I’m sure @LETSGOBROWNIES or @ET80 kids would be great and safe at home, albeit 504 and IEP are tricky, but they’re unfortunately not the norm in many cases.

That's a very fair Devil's Advocate statement, but how many public school kids are in unsafe homes vs. the risk of adults at these schools dying? (genuinely trying to get a feel for the numbers, not asking sarcastically)

I don't think there's a way to keep everyone safe here.

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

That's a very fair Devil's Advocate statement, but how many public school kids are in unsafe homes vs. the risk of adults at these schools dying? (genuinely trying to get a feel for the numbers, not asking sarcastically)

I don't think there's a way to keep everyone safe here.

Have you seen the movie “The Rock”? I feel like this is the situation where the President has to decide whether or not to approve the air strike to take out Alcatraz and the hostages in order to prevent a stadium full of 80,000 people being hit with VX Nerve Gas. He poses the question “How does one weigh human life?”

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Xenos said:

Did anyone see the “updated” information about reopening schools from the CDC?

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/schools-childcare/reopening-schools.html

Edit: I feel that someone’s meddling is going to get a lot of people killed.

Yeah, it’s already been confirmed that substantial portions of the new “CDC guidelines” were not even written by experts at the CDC, but essentially White House advisers (which are believed to be Kushner and Navaro).

And I don’t care for the “politics,” but the fact is that they are objectively unqualified by every imaginable metric to be involved with that decision making, let alone be the principal author.

Edited by SwAg
  • Like 2

That statement is so pathetic, I can't imagine any thinking person not seeing through that whitewash job

But they did manage to feebly acknowledge this at the very end in small type:

*Some children have developed multisystem inflammatory syndrome (MIS-C) after exposure to SARS-CoV-2 (the virus that causes COVID-19). (https://www.cdc.gov/mis-c/cases/index.html)  In one targeted surveillance study for MIS-C associated with SARS-CoV-2, however, the majority of children who were hospitalized with COVID-related MIS-C (70 percent) had recovered by the end date of the study period.

But hey, the majority of kids who were HOSPITALIZED were allegedly "recovered" by the time we stopped collecting data -
- so no worries at all parents & teachers !

07-minister.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

• Like 2