Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

@Shanedorf @Deadpulse @ramssuperbowl99

Should we be worried about the mutation to the spike protein in Europe? My wife said the only way (likely) the vaccines wont be effective is if the spike protein mutates drastically. I asked her about the mutation in Europe, but like any good scientist, she said she doesnt have enough info on exactly what the vaccines target in the spike protein and where the mutation occured. Talking COVID gives her anxiety, so Id like to lean on y'all.

Edited by WizeGuy

8 minutes ago, WizeGuy said:

Should we be worried about the mutation to the spike protein in Europe? My wife said the only way (likely) the vaccines wont be effective is if the spike protein mutates drastically. I asked her about the mutation in Europe, but like any good scientist, she said she doesnt have enough info on exactly what the vaccines target in the spike protein and where the mutation occured. Talking COVID gives her anxiety, so Id like to lean on y'all.

From the thread I just shared:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WizeGuy said:

Too early to tell if we should be worried in terms of vaccine effectiveness. As @bucsfan333 pointed out, the vaccine targets the protein it uses to spread, so its not very likely. On the flip side of that, early indications is that this strain spreads faster and that is the only noticeable (at this point in time) difference. That COULD mean the way it infects is different enough to render the vaccine less effective; however again, it isnt likely. 

I think we should be concerned about it overall though. Vaccine implementation WILL be slow, especially in the US. Public diligence is at an all time low and we saw record numbers of infections just a few weeks ago. Imagine a noticeably faster spreading version of this hitting us?? It could absolutely devastate the healthcare system that is already hanging by a thread in most populace places. Holidays, lax attitudes, and a faster spreading strain is a recipe for disaster. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Bonanza23 said:

For how long?  I have a buddy whose daughter and son in law were supposed to go back to England after the 1st. 

I think all international flights are done for the time being. They should be preparing for an extended stay. This new strain is apparently a lot more contagious than it already is which is crazy to bring with. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I think all international flights are done for the time being. They should be preparing for an extended stay. This new strain is apparently a lot more contagious than it already is which is crazy to bring with. 

Gotcha, thanks!

On 12/19/2020 at 1:46 PM, WizeGuy said:

MoL thinks there is some weird internal politics going on in UK tbh and its a little early to know for sure how big a deal this is. Could easily just be Boris being Boris, tbh.

• Like 1

New variant is obvi real. But UK gov is playing fast and loose w science here in touting their 70% number, etc. etc. 

Could be using this new variant (one of many identified since January) to justify a u-turn on their failed decision to lift lockdown early pre-Christmas

Could also want to distract from Brexit deadline debacle 

Or any number of things going on in Boris' brain 

So as hard as it is to wait I think we need to wait until real science folks opine on what this all means 

19 minutes ago, mission27 said:

New variant is obvi real. But UK gov is playing fast and loose w science here in touting their 70% number, etc. etc. 

Could be using this new variant (one of many identified since January) to justify a u-turn on their failed decision to lift lockdown early pre-Christmas

Could also want to distract from Brexit deadline debacle 

Or any number of things going on in Boris' brain 

So as hard as it is to wait I think we need to wait until real science folks opine on what this all means 

I’m worried that the US is still waiting too long to ban travel from and to the UK for now. This feels like what happened in March when we waited too long to stop travel to Europe. And I know that the vaccine is supposed to work against this mutation as well. It’s just annoying that it’s even more infectious.