Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

23 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

The bill that was just passed allocates some funding for vaccine distribution. That should help.

And @squire12, I get slower than expected, but 100MM doses EOY -> 50MM doses EOY -> 20 MM doses EOY -> 2 million doses actually delivered EOY is not just "slower than expected". We moved heaven and earth to get this thing made and approved, and it's not like it's a surprise that it's here now. I'm not going to talk about who to blame, but the the only remotely professional word I can think of to describe this is "unacceptable".

Science ca move forward to create a vaccine unimpeded by outside motives.     Government, not so much.

I guess the question is the bottle neck on this 

A.  Actual vaccine doses produced

B.  Doses shipped to states

C.  Doses delivered to specific locations

D.  Doses actually injected into individuals 

Who was saying 100M doses?

2 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Science ca move forward to create a vaccine unimpeded by outside motives.     Government, not so much.

The 100MM doses was a campaign promise, but even if you start at the 40/50 million estimates we had heard from various press briefings, we're talking about only being at 5% of the original target. 

4 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Who said 100M doses? Google September 16th briefing.

20 minutes ago, mission27 said:

You're being too kind tbh.  Its a complete disgrace.  They spent the last 9 months dicking around and pinching pennies and arguing about stupid **** while this got worse and worse and now, almost two months after we figured out these vaccines work, less than 1% of the population has a shot in their arm. 

Its the same as our approach to testing.  Could've thrown a few hundred billion at it and everyone would have rapid in home testing.  Instead people are still waiting days and weeks for results.

This is America, we kill ants with nuclear bombs all the time.  Its called the Powell doctrine.  Maybe take a quarter of what we pumped into the stock market and spend it on ending the pandemic.  That would help both businesses and health care workers, so both sides should be happy, but it seems like the MoL are the only rational people left on the planet sometimes. 

General sorry for ‘miscommunication’ over vaccine shipments

https://apnews.com/article/general-gustave-perna-vaccine-shipments-6e61f8f1eb9bb0151669d1fe2d9b5646

1 minute ago, TVScout said:

General sorry for ‘miscommunication’ over vaccine shipments

https://apnews.com/article/general-gustave-perna-vaccine-shipments-6e61f8f1eb9bb0151669d1fe2d9b5646

He's falling on his swords but its really not his fault.  At the end of the day if we'd written big pharma a blank check to ramp up production of unproven vaccines in the spring instead of everyone standing in their corner getting off on their fiscal responsibility or corporate accountability agendas, there wouldn't be shortfalls. 

When's the last time you heard about our military having 1% of the nuclear warheads or F16 they need?

Its all about the money.

51 minutes ago, Xenos said:

Who said 100M doses? Google September 16th briefing.

If you are basing the vaccine rollout and process from a press briefing from the current federal administration, that is a problem.

I get that the process is much too slow for what should be the case in the USA.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, squire12 said:

If you are basing the vaccine rollout and process from a press briefing from the current federal administration, that is a problem.

I get that the process is much too slow for what should be the case in the USA.  

Yes it is much too slow. Even for all the reasons you listed, we should not be this behind. Here’s hoping that money does cut down time like @mission27 mentioned. Or even having a new administration will speed things along. Though I do wonder if waiting an additional month will put us further behind.

Edited by Xenos

3 hours ago, Xenos said:

Not well at all. That’s way too long. I rather do the J&J shot at 85% efficacy if it means only one shot.

I'm hoping when I get my jab, this will be the one I get. My sister got a shot in the trials. Thought that was pretty cool. She won't know what she got (that or placebo) for a long time though. Not sure of the reason why but I'm sure it's for good measure. 

1 hour ago, Xenos said:

Reading about the mutation variant being first discovered in Colorado brings feelings of deja vu from this past Spring.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/health/coronavirus-variant-colorado-us/2020/12/29/8e6379fc-4a01-11eb-a9f4-0e668b9772ba_story.html%3foutputType=amp

and if we learned anything from March, I’m sure there’s many thousands of cases by now.

Just now, mission27 said:

and if we learned anything from March, I’m sure there’s many thousands of cases by now.

If "we" is the random poster on a football discussion forum, a lot probwas learned since March.   

If " we" is some random politician, then......

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

The bill that was just passed allocates some funding for vaccine distribution. That should help.

And @squire12, I get slower than expected, but 100MM doses EOY -> 50MM doses EOY -> 20 MM doses EOY -> 2 million doses actually delivered EOY is not just "slower than expected". We moved heaven and earth to get this thing made and approved, and it's not like it's a surprise that it's here now. I'm not going to talk about who to blame, but the the only remotely professional word I can think of to describe this is "unacceptable".

Just a heads up- those numbers are behind. It's hard to say exactly where we're at but it's def higher than 2 million. Also, last I heard (which was a few days ago), 10 million vaccines had been distributed but even that number may have been lower than the official count. 

Ill just say from what Ive heard around the hospital- Moderna is much easier to administer due to shelf life. The amount of healthcare workers who have rcvd the vaccine has increased a lot over the last week and now nursing home residents/staff are receiving the vaccine. I expect it to pick up dramatically. 

Vaccinating mostly healthcare workers has brought a few logistical road bumps. We had serious worries of wasted doses because of Pfizers shelf life and trying to prioritize who should get it first. We had to establish pop up locations at other hospitals to use the doses we feared may go to waste. That seems to have changed now that Moderna is in the fold. I also think hospitals being strained hasnt helped.

Once CVS, Walgreens, vaccination vans, etc...begin vaccinating people it'll rapidly increase. I have to wonder how they'll monitor allergic reactions. Everyone who rcvd the vaccine in the hospital had to be monitored for 15 mins. We just sat in an auditorium like place. 

There are a lot of hands involved here and local leaders are learning on the fly. I expect (hope) as we move along we'll get a much better grasp at distributing these vaccines.

• Like 3