How many WR1's are in the NFL? And how important is it?

BayRaider

13 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Adams is not the greatest separator by any means and has had a Top 2-3 QB in the league throwing in very tight-accurate windows. Adams is a solid WR. I don’t see him as a WR1. He’ll get shut down by most Top Corners. 

Literally none of this is accurate. 

• Like 4

I'm not sure i'd agree that JuJu is a #1.  He really struggled in that role last year, so he needs to prove it to me.

I'd argue that Theilen, Diggs, Davante Adams, Allen Robinson and maybe a few more deserve to be mentioned in that #1 role too.  They're filling it currently, or have at times, and have done it exceptionally well.

I don't agree that we have to limit the list to 10-14 people.  The explosion of the passing game is giving us a high quantity of skilled WR's and QB's (plus TE's) than we've seen before in history.  Mainly because college, high school and even Jr. High are throwing the ball with more frequency now.  I'd argue that there's probably more like 20-25ish #1 WR's in the league at any given point, and it's more common to have one now than not.  

• Like 3

Sutton isn't a #1 yet but I would be floored if he wasn't clearly one of the better, young #1 WR's be the end of this season. He is a legit blue chip talent who can make plays on all three levels. I find it funny that many Broncos fans are clamoring for a guy to take the top off the defense when Cam averaged 15.5ypc as sophomore with putrid QB play most the season. Not saying it wouldn't be great to have two gamebreakers, but he seems to be viewed as more of a chain mover when he is a dynamic, all around WR. 

Not sure how you can call Adams a product of his QB and rank him as a WR2, while at the same time ranking JuJu as the 7th best WR after he significantly dropped off this year without Ben. I don’t think he was even a top 30 receiver this year.

Edited by dtait93
  • Like 1

Alright. I'm one of this site's biggest Super Cooper Kupp supporters. But I don't think he's a #1. At least not at this point of his career. The Rams offense has just had so many weapons that everyone has feasted, and Cooper Kupp is the type of athlete that you can't divert resources to stop, because he doesn't really win with athleticism and the Rams have so many athletic mismatches that can just wreck you on any given play unless you divert extra resources over the top. Kupp is primarily an underneath receiver. Teams would rather let Kupp catch the ball and force Goff to get 6 first downs in a row to score or kick a field goal than let Brandin Cooks, Robert Woods, Gerald Everett, or Tyler Higbee score in one, two, or three plays. Hence Kupp's outstanding production.

Now, is Kupp solely an underneath guy? No, of course not! He's one of the best route-runners in the league, and he's had a top-5 football IQ since day one. He's literally relayed protection and route adjustments to Goff at times. He has great hands, he can run all three levels of a route, he's crazy quick, and he's good RAC. But he's not a true #1. More of a 1b or very good #2, much like Cooks and Woods. And Josh Reynolds would probably be a good #2 on most teams.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Tetsujin said:

Devante Parker can be a legit #1 with a repeat of 2019.

Devante Parker looked like he realized his potential last season but at this point it is a huge outlier in what has been a very mediocre career. He has the talent but he still has a lot to prove.

16 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Personally, I feel it's a rare breed and on average looking at history, there is 10-14 in the NFL at any given time.

Here is my rankings:

Wide Receiver True 1's:

7. JuJu Smith-Schuster

LMAO. In what world is JuJu Smith Schuster a true number one? When did he prove that?

I don’t agree about Adams. Especially the argument that Rodgers ball placement is why he puts up numbers. 

2017 he had Brett Hundley as his QB for 6 games. Here’s 4 of those 6 games. 

5 rec, 90 yds, TD

8 rec, 126 yds

5 rec, 82 yds, TD

10 rec, 82 yds, 2 TDs

Not the greatest indicator but he still produced with a guy who’s ball placement would be considered well below average. 

Rodgers ball placement the last few years hasn’t been what it once was. At least not as consistently. And Davante actually makes damn good adjustments to inaccurate throws. 

• Like 1

Interesting

I don't think Kupp is in the tier you list him in, and honestly, I think Amari Cooper is not in that tier either. I'd argue that Juju isn't that guy either

I agree with the consensus that Adams does belong there, and I would argue that Godwin is worthy also. Simply because he is on the same team as Evans doesn't mean he isn't worthy of that #1 status.

When I think of this category of WR, I picture a big body with freakish athleticism and the trustworthiness of an elite, reliable WR

Tyreke is really the only small/fast WR that fits the bill for me (with the assumption that AB isn't playing and at peak)

Easy gentlemen, it’s just an opinion. Acting like it’s a VanS take :o

So lost on the Adams ranking, the original point of the thread got diminished. How important is a WR1? Would you rather have two WR2’s and more resources for defense? 

3 hours ago, seriously27 said:

Even barring the Davante discussion.....the fact that you have T.Y. Hilton as the 24th wr at best really puts some doubt on this list....

I have a feeling most coaches and corners don't consider Hilton a "normal" guy to play against. 

Hilton was originally in my Upper Tier WR2 and I edited it. He was very average last year even before the injury. That’s the issue with guys that are primarily more speed than size. They lose their explosiveness much quicker. 

Edited by BayRaider

19 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Easy gentlemen, it’s just an opinion. Acting like it’s a VanS take :o

So lost on the Adams ranking, the original point of the thread got diminished. How important is a WR1? Would you rather have two WR2’s and more resources for defense? 

Two WR2s. Im of the opinion receivers and backs are two of the least important positions on the field. Spend the money building a defense and a strong offensive line. Having quality QB play is implied; you're not getting anywhere without it. 

In short: think of the team SF built this year. No issues scoring points or moving the ball without a true WR1

• Like 1