Jump to content
HTTRDynasty

Travis Frederick Retires

Recommended Posts

Never thought he would make it back. Hopefully he can live in a normal as possible life post football.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The recovery with this illness goes very well and most people have no issues once they're over it. But most people aren't athletes playing at the highest competitive level of football. So there's that. Enjoy retirement!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Fullback said:

The recovery with this illness goes very well and most people have no issues once they're over it. But most people aren't athletes playing at the highest competitive level of football. So there's that. Enjoy retirement!

spot on.   recovery for an office worker, someone who runs a 5K or plays some tennis, racquetball, etc vs someone playing and training for NFL football is a bit different.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Fullback said:

The recovery with this illness goes very well and most people have no issues once they're over it. But most people aren't athletes playing at the highest competitive level of football. So there's that. Enjoy retirement!

 

1 hour ago, squire12 said:

spot on.   recovery for an office worker, someone who runs a 5K or plays some tennis, racquetball, etc vs someone playing and training for NFL football is a bit different.

You guys beat me to it. Exactly what I was going to say. Most people if they recover to 85-90% of what they were that’s fine. But as a professional athlete that’s the difference between All Pro to Pro Bowl and pro bowl to just above average. For a competitor thinking you can do more than your reality would for sure be one of the most humbling experiences of all.

Wish him the best for sure. He was the Marshal Yanda of the center position. I used to love watching Frederick and Kevin Zeitler destroy guys while watching their draft tape; was such a lovely experience.

Edited by diamondbull424

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

And hear comes all of the Philly fans to exhibit their outpour of classy support. 
 

Deep, scientific research: 

- 2017: Frederick..no playoffs

- 2018: Looney..playoffs 

- 2019: Frederick..no playoffs 

- 2020: Looney..???

Edited by ///mcompact

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Dallas Cowboys are objectively a worse football team having lost Travis Frederick. That's the only thing I can say with 100% certainty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is surprising. But I'm glad to hear that he's using a bit of foresight to look out for himself and his family and I respect that. I feel like some players hold on too long because they simply can't let go of the game and end up regretting it afterwards because of it.

He is only 29 years old and has plenty of life left and I'm sure he will have no problems in finding something else to do outside of football. 

I know this had to be tough for him. He could have potentially been named to the hall of fame in the future if he continued. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He was a good center, one of the best during his career, but the lack of playoff success will make it challenging for him to enter the Hall of Fame, and he doesn't have as lengthy of a career to have the accumulated credentials.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

He was a good center, one of the best during his career, but the lack of playoff success will make it challenging for him to enter the Hall of Fame, and he doesn't have as lengthy of a career to have the accumulated credentials.

He won't get in now because he won't have the longevity, like you said, and therefore he won't be able to meet certain standards, but I do think he would have had a good shot at the pace that he was going. He was on way to becoming the next Kevin Mawue(Sp?) IMO.

Remember, Frederick played a big part in all these years that we (as fans) have criticized the Cowboys RB's for being more products of the OL than anything else. Every RB from Murray to Zeke...and McFadden on a lesser scale.  

Edited by JustAnotherFan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We must bring a starting caliber interior O-lineman onto the roster.

The only flaw in Fred's game is lack of physical strength. GB must have made him so weak that he can't play anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

He won't get in now because he won't have the longevity, like you said, and therefore he won't be able to meet certain standards, but I do think he would have had a good shot at the pace that he was going. He was on way to becoming the next Kevin Mawue(Sp?) IMO.

Remember, Frederick played a big part in all these years that we (as fans) have criticized the Cowboys RB's for being more products of the OL than anything else. Every RB from Murray to Zeke...and McFadden on a lesser scale.  

Had he played 10 seasons. He was a lock. Had he lasted 12 to 14 he would have been first ballot. No doubt in my mind. His credentials have been eye popping because centers usually dont have that many pro bowls or all pros until their mid 30s. 5 probowls and 3 all pro elections. Only 1 year he legitimately missed it in 2013 but still made the all rookie team. And I am not sure why he missed the 2017 all pro election cause Kelce and sure as hell Mack didnt out play him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Well, gosh. Always thought that Travis Frederick was a prototype power-blocking center; I admired the way the Cowboys spent the draft picks- Tyron Smith, Zack Martin, and Travis-, and built perhaps the best O-line in the league; and- as a long-suffering Giants fan during the blocking-bereft Jerry Reese era, wherein the GM ignored building a line; relied on middle-round supposed developmental prospects, who never developed; and, when he did use higher picks, drafted a couple of technician types lacking power, and a physically-imposing behemoth lacking technique.

Now, if they'd only taken Travis Frederick that year..................!

 

Edited by bzane

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This sucks, I wish him the best. He always seemed like a great guy dating back to his days at Wisconsin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×