Tyler Ervin back on 1 year deal

MrBoom

2 hours ago, MuFF said:

I like Ervin as a returner, but didn't expect this. With Williams and Jones set to be FA after the season, I thought we'd draft RB in the middle rounds. We can't roll with 4 RBs on the active roster, can we? 

I would think we'd still be in the market to draft. I think you worry less about slipping DW to PS if he doesn't impress you this year, if you get a tank you can call him your FB and if you get a guy in the Ervin school theres nothing prohibitive about this contract.

10 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I'm going to regret this, but here's a softball...

Rodgers missed him wide open on a vertical in Week 17 at Detroit. Should have been six. 

I know the one you're talking about. I'm not sure Ervin even catches a perfect throw there, the safety over the top was going to pop him.

I'm just not ever going to really like a 5'10 running back on a vertical route.

MVS is just as dangerous on the jetsweep, and is better vertically.

3 hours ago, MuFF said:

I like Ervin as a returner, but didn't expect this. With Williams and Jones set to be FA after the season, I thought we'd draft RB in the middle rounds. We can't roll with 4 RBs on the active roster, can we? 

I can't see this signing affecting our draft plans at all. Except that it relieves a tiny tiny tiny bit of a pressure if there's a tie between a RB and some other position. Still a roster-bubble caliber player on a roster-bubble salary IMO. We should root for Ervin and for a rookie to be much better than him so he's expendable.

I don't think MVS is as good on the jet sweep.  I don't think his body-balance is as good, and I don't think he has as many moves, elusiveness or change-of-direction capacity.  

I may be biased from one of those end-arounds he had as a rookie, where he was just doing a straight run and he lost his balance and stumbled and fell down with no defenders anywhere close.  So maybe that was a fluke or a torn up field and has no future projection, beats me.

Obviously so some degree it's just pure speed, get around as fast as you possibly can.  But sometimes there are running-back decisions on when to turn it upfield, versus going wide; and sometimes a juke or a fake or a pause can make a difference.  I suspect Ervin is quicker for those, even if MVS's straight-line speed is great.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

We should root for Ervin and for a rookie to be much better than him so he's expendable.

I'm reluctant to invest the draft capital required to find a football player good enough to beat out a 4 yr pro in such a multiple role as Ervin. RB/WR/KR/PR
5th-7th  round rookies generally can't do it and 1- 3rd round rookies are too much capital. I think Ervin makes the roster, bubble or no.

The new CBA calls for even less coaching/development time than in previous seasons. On top of that - there's little or no offseason, no OTA's and even TC starting on time isn't a given at this point. Ergo, development time is severely restricted and UDFA and late rounders are mostly gonna be redshirts in 2020.
I'm thinking vets have a significant advantage over youngsters for this upcoming season. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I know the one you're talking about. I'm not sure Ervin even catches a perfect throw there, the safety over the top was going to pop him.

I'm just not ever going to really like a 5'10 running back on a vertical route.

MVS is just as dangerous on the jetsweep, and is better vertically.

I really didn't like him on jet sweeps.

He's a long strider that takes some time to hit his full speed.  And he doesn't have much juke in him.

When I think of jet sweet, I think of those jitterbug kinds of guys that hit their speed fast and have very good change of direction.

But that's just me.  

• Like 1

Personally feel like what makes Ervin good on the jet sweep is he has absolutely no fear or hesitation at all.  Once he picks his spot he hits it as hard as he can and he runs through contact.  He had a few 7 yard runs that easily could have be 2-3 yards if he hesitated at all or didn't break arm tackles.  Vision issues aren't a big deal when you're running the sweep and all of that athletic talent plays in space.