2018 College Prospect Thread

iLikeDefense

3 hours ago, Counselor said:

Yes he can play. He is my top ranked QB. But I'm not always right.

I really like Baker.  Yea- he's short. Yes, he's a bit over the top with the antics.  But dude has a bunch of qualities you gotta love.  He definitely has a pro arm.  He's extremely accurate. Set a record, for the second straight year, for passing efficiency.  He's very football smart - always seems to see the mis-match and where to go with the ball.  He in unbelievably competitive.  And he's clutch.  Come up the biggest in big moments and big games.  

Everbody wants to equate him to Manzel or Tebow or - some other clown. Horrible comparisons IMO.  Manzel was an entitled punk.  Baker is just an overly competitive hothead.  He's smarter, tougher, and a much better passer than Manzel ever dreamt of being.  The closest comparison I can think of is Doug Flutie, but 3-4 inches taller, better arm, and a chip on his shoulder the size of Alaska.  Kid has had to win his way every step of the way - in High School, at Texas Tech, and as a non scholarship walk-on at OU.  He's just the type that seems like the bigger the challenge, the more he steps up.  If you want a guy that is gonna get the ball on our own 1 yard line, down 4, with 3 minutes left to go and walk in the huddle and tell the team "we have 'em exactly where we want 'em, and then proceed to drive the team 99 yards for a touchdown, he's your guy.

i haven't seen much of Darnold or Rosen, TBH.  But what I have seen strikes me as meh.  Neither of them strike me as a Winston, or Marriotta, or Wentz.  Everybody seems to think they have all the tools to be outstanding pro QB's , but for my money, I'll take Mayfield.

With his size, could Baker flame out? Sure. But if he does, he'll sure as heck go "kicking and screaming". He reminds me of a shorter Rivers with better legs.  He's the "anti-Semian".  I guarantee you he won't be throwing 3 yard passes on 3rd and 5; he won't be sitting calmly on the bench after throwing 3 picks; he won't be telling Fowler "don't worry about it" after he drops a TD pass.    

If we could trade down a bit, pick up another 2, take Nelson, and then use our 2 seconds to trade back up to take Baker in the late first I would be ecstatic! 

1 hour ago, DiehardBronxFan said:

I really like Baker.  Yea- he's short. Yes, he's a bit over the top with the antics.  But dude has a bunch of qualities you gotta love.  He definitely has a pro arm.  He's extremely accurate. Set a record, for the second straight year, for passing efficiency.  He's very football smart - always seems to see the mis-match and where to go with the ball.  He in unbelievably competitive.  And he's clutch.  Come up the biggest in big moments and big games.  

Everbody wants to equate him to Manzel or Tebow or - some other clown. Horrible comparisons IMO.  Manzel was an entitled punk.  Baker is just an overly competitive hothead.  He's smarter, tougher, and a much better passer than Manzel ever dreamt of being.  The closest comparison I can think of is Doug Flutie, but 3-4 inches taller, better arm, and a chip on his shoulder the size of Alaska.  Kid has had to win his way every step of the way - in High School, at Texas Tech, and as a non scholarship walk-on at OU.  He's just the type that seems like the bigger the challenge, the more he steps up.  If you want a guy that is gonna get the ball on our own 1 yard line, down 4, with 3 minutes left to go and walk in the huddle and tell the team "we have 'em exactly where we want 'em, and then proceed to drive the team 99 yards for a touchdown, he's your guy.

i haven't seen much of Darnold or Rosen, TBH.  But what I have seen strikes me as meh.  Neither of them strike me as a Winston, or Marriotta, or Wentz.  Everybody seems to think they have all the tools to be outstanding pro QB's , but for my money, I'll take Mayfield.

With his size, could Baker flame out? Sure. But if he does, he'll sure as heck go "kicking and screaming". He reminds me of a shorter Rivers with better legs.  He's the "anti-Semian".  I guarantee you he won't be throwing 3 yard passes on 3rd and 5; he won't be sitting calmly on the bench after throwing 3 picks; he won't be telling Fowler "don't worry about it" after he drops a TD pass.    

If we could trade down a bit, pick up another 2, take Nelson, and then use our 2 seconds to trade back up to take Baker in the late first I would be ecstatic! 

Love this post

The likelihood is that the Browns and Giants pick 1 & 2 - can only see the Giants have a chance against the Redskins. SF have started to get on a bit of a roll. I think we beat the Colts and then our position will likely come down to Colts V Texans (which I could see the Colts winning).

I think the Browns will try and get Cousins and if they do get Cousins then the No. 1 is off to the highest bidder (I wouldn't be surprised if Washington use Cousins as part of a package to try and trade for the No.1 pick). The Giants will take a QB to replace Manning.

Will Elway try and trade up - you betcha - he wants a franchise QB (and hopefully the Browns take Lynch as part of the package). But there will be competition for that No.1 pick. If Elway can't get it done then he will take Mayfield (and I can see Mayfield going pretty high - a lot of teams need a QB).

If that happens we roll with Mayfield and Kelly with Siemian as the back-up. Ideally both Mayfield and Kelly develop into NFL calibre QBs and we get to trade one - but hopefully one of them gets their head straight, matures and fulfills their potential.

14 hours ago, DiehardBronxFan said:

That sounds like a dream scenario to me.

That sounds like a dream scenario to me.

A bit too dreamy IMO. I would LOVEEEE if we could pull that. But with the QB needy teams, I don't see Baker falling too far.

Realistically if we wanted to come out of this draft with Nelson and Baker, we would probably have to use our 2019 R1 to trade up. With Rosen/Darnold likely gone 1/2 and a ton of teams looking for a QB between 3-33, we will have to make a serious offer to deal up for one.

I think Baker goes middle R1 if not earlier, so we are looking at 2019 R1, 2018 R2 and 2018 R3 (Maybe a R4 instead depending on market) in a trade up. And you do that deal if your convinced Baker is a plug/play QBOTF IMO. I just don't see two R2 picks, which probably get us into the 20-22 range, getting us a shot at Baker.

If Elway is sold on Baker and is betting on this team returning to picking 20-25 and lower, then dealing a future R1 isn't a bad move.

52 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

A bit too dreamy IMO. I would LOVEEEE if we could pull that. But with the QB needy teams, I don't see Baker falling too far.

Realistically if we wanted to come out of this draft with Nelson and Baker, we would probably have to use our 2019 R1 to trade up. With Rosen/Darnold likely gone 1/2 and a ton of teams looking for a QB between 3-33, we will have to make a serious offer to deal up for one.

I think Baker goes middle R1 if not earlier, so we are looking at 2019 R1, 2018 R2 and 2018 R3 (Maybe a R4 instead depending on market) in a trade up. And you do that deal if your convinced Baker is a plug/play QBOTF IMO. I just don't see two R2 picks, which probably get us into the 20-22 range, getting us a shot at Baker.

If Elway is sold on Baker and is betting on this team returning to picking 20-25 and lower, then dealing a future R1 isn't a bad move.

If dealing a 2019 1st is in play, trading up to 1.1 / 1.2 from 1.5/1.6 position would be there too.   I love Nelson too, but if the temptation is to get Darnold/Rosen, I suspect Elway would consider that ahead of trading for mid-rd1.    I don't think we'd trade up for Mayfield given the above (because if it costs that much, he'd explore going up to 1.1 / 1.2 to get "his guy" - whoever that is).  

Archived