Texans trade for WR Brandin Cooks

Texansfan713

21 hours ago, Scalamania said:

At what point does the NFL step in and stop O'Brien?

xD

You people don't see O'Brien's genius. He's setting them up to suck so bad for several years vs just one so he stockpiles all these high draft picks and then whammo! Championship!

Edited by bomont
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, FinSting said:

But what if the Texans win a buttload of games like they did this season? 

Doesn't mean the trades weren't horrendous from a talent and value point of view.

Edit: I mean, Stefon Diggs got back way more value.

Buffalo parted with their first-round pick along with a fifth and sixth-round pick this year and a fourth-round pick in 2021 in exchange for Diggs and a 2020 seventh-round pick.

Edited by ILoveTheVikings
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, bomont said:

xD

You people don't see O'Brien's genius. He's setting them up to suck so bad for several years vs just one so he stockpiles all these high draft picks and then whammo! Championship!

Haven't the Browns proven already that approach doesn't work? 

• Like 1

Is this true for the Rams side of it? (not my words).

Cooks was under contract in 2018 for $8m

He could have been franchised for $16m, meaning theoretically the rams could have gone year to year and paid him $25m for the first two years.

instead....gave him new contract and paid him $42m for the first two years and by waiting until March 15th to trade him, that triggered a $4m roster bonus for Cooks and a $22m cap hit for LA

?

We know BOB is a bufoon, but what is going on over west?? 

Edited by Hunter2_1
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

He could have been franchised for $16m, meaning theoretically the rams could have gone year to year and paid him $25m for the first two years.

instead....gave him new contract and paid him $42m for the first two years and by waiting until March 15th to trade him, that triggered a $4m roster bonus for Cooks and a $22m cap hit for LA

?

All I know is the Rams got a 2nd round pick for him. From what I heard early on in the process teams werent giving the Rams good compensation back. One rumor was the Saints offered a 4th round pick for Cooks. The Rams werent going to do that deal. So if holding out meant the Rams could end up with a 2nd round pick then Im not complaining lol. 

26 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

?

We don't know what offers were available prior to his roster bonus hit this year. I think it is safe to say that this offer wasn't on the table then.

Obviously it would have been best to not give Cooks that contract and franchise him but the team wasn't able to forecast that he'd get 3 concussions in 2 years. If he didn't sustain those concussions then he's still a Ram. He was very productive when healthy and is still a great WR. I think the Rams always knew they would have to pick 2 of the 3 of Woods, Kupp and Cooks and didn't want to gamble that Cooks can be in the LT plans. Houston is potentially getting a bargain if he can avoid anymore concussions. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bomont said:

xD

BoB must be playing the long game because he’s already traded future capital, lol.

4 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

We've had great success with 2nd->5th round picks so far, signing vets to short term deals and playing the compensatory pick game. We've been very smart not signing Trumaine Johnson, Janoris Jenkins, Lamarcus Joyner, Littleton, and Fowler long term and still getting back 3rd/4th round comp picks in return. Only move I wasn't happy with was not bringing back Saffold. 

If you have good coaches in place, you can be competitive paying few high end talentsand surrounding them with cheaper/younger guys. Aaron Donald makes any other DL and OLB immediately better commanding double and triple teams. Goff with McVay is successful and when the run game comes back next year now that we dumped Gurley, Goff will look better once again. Too much negativity is being given to the Rams approachs. They are aggressive, they gamble, and they are retooling while still being competitive. It's more impressive than people are saying, but I don't expect others to admit that because it goes against the age old philosophy of building through the draft. 

Old philosophy?? It's the tried and true philosophy,  that's why the consistent teams in this league always build through the draft and don't overpay their players.. 

Hey everyone is entitled to their opinions.. 

4 minutes ago, Letsch80 said:

Old philosophy?? It's the tried and true philosophy,  that's why the consistent teams in this league always build through the draft and don't overpay their players.. 

Rams had the 8th most homegrown talent entering the year... Might want to sit this one out. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Letsch80 said:

Teams are now more active in FA than ever. We've seen a more active offseason the last 5 years then ever before. Trading picks for proven talent is becoming more and more common. Building through the draft is not the only way to win games in the NFL anymore. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27919597/why-nfl-trades-increased-four-reasons-deadline-no-longer-dud

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LeotheLion said:

Rams had the 8th most homegrown talent entering the year... Might want to sit this one out. 

Did I say they haven't drafted some good players in the past? I'm simply saying that is a better way of doing business than paying everyone on your roster top dollar and dealing away your picks for more players to break the bank.. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Letsch80 said:

Do you really want to go down this road? Because it won't take me long to prove this wrong. You're vastly overstating things here. Are you forgetting the contributions of Anquan Boldin and Matt Birk to the 2012 Ravens? How about Stephon Gilmore and Kyle Van Noy to the 2018 Patriots? How about Frank Clark and Mitchell Schwartz to the 2019 Chiefs? I can go on all day. Consistent teams build some of their team through the draft and supplement it with trades and free agent signings.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Letsch80 said:

Did I say they haven't drafted some good players in the past? I'm simply saying that is a better way of doing business than paying everyone on your roster top dollar and dealing away your picks for more players to break the bank.. 

Except we haven't paid everybody top dollar. We have let Janoris Jenkins, Trumaine Johnson, Cory Littleton, Rodger Saffold, Ndamukong Suh, and Sammy Watkins walk in recent years. We've also traded a number of players (Robert Quinn, Alec Ogletree, Brandin Cooks, etc.). We've made hard choices. You simply don't agree with the choices we've made. Some were wrong in hindsight. Others were right. That's the nature of a difficult job. You don't make the right call every single time. We'll see if Ramsey was the right decision.

4 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Teams are now more active in FA than ever. We've seen a more active offseason the last 5 years then ever before. Trading picks for proven talent is becoming more and more common. Building through the draft is not the only way to win games in the NFL anymore. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27919597/why-nfl-trades-increased-four-reasons-deadline-no-longer-dud

I'm a fan of a team who has benefitted from trades for Marcus Peters and Calais Campbell for a, pair of 5th round picks.. Trading is good when you make smart moves and don't mortgage your future..