Texans trade for WR Brandin Cooks

Texansfan713

This reminds me of Joe Gibbs 2.0 trading away tons of draft picks, which included Champ Bailey and a second for Clinton Portis, only having four picks in the 2004 draft, only one pick before the 5th round in 2006 and five picks in 2007.  He also never had a draft of more than six players.  You can't build a sustainable team with depth without those draft choices.  This is insane. 

3 hours ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

Unreal. BoB's entire GM strategy is basically just to run up as many favors with GM's around the league as possible for when he gets fired by bailing as many teams out of their terrible contracts as possible. 

I think he's going all in on 2020 before the end of Watson's rookie contract and Watt's career.

31 minutes ago, Bearerofnews said:

I'm going to be that guy.

Previous 12 years without BoB, 2 playoffs/2 division titles.

6 years with BoB, 4 playoffs/4 division titles. 

1.  AFC South wasn't a crap hole back then when Kubiak and Capers was HC.  Peyton was owning the division and the Titans had a few good seasons.

2.  Kubiak coaching this team would be way better than it is now.  If O Brien was coaching those Texans teams we would consistent suck.  I know its noway to prove that but I truly believe that.  O'Brien is just benefitting from the AFC South being bad in his tenure.

3.  True O Brien has more division titles but his playoff record is atrocious especially this past season getting blown out by the Chiefs.  Kubiak had a legit excuse year 1 making the playoffs with Yates starting as a rookie.  I don't judge coaches by regular seasons anymore in this organization. 

Edited by Texansfan713
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, ILoveTheVikings said:

Basically, if you "net" the added and subtracted picks, they traded Hopkins for Johnson, Cook and a 4th.

?????

It's also pretty incredible that they claimed it was a cap thing but traded away $14.1M and then brought in $26.5M with David Johnson, Brandin Cooks, Randall Cobb, and the 40th pick.

44 minutes ago, Bearerofnews said:

I'm going to be that guy.

Previous 12 years without BoB, 2 playoffs/2 division titles.

6 years with BoB, 4 playoffs/4 division titles. 

The win over the Bills in the playoffs was impressive for the Texans. The 24-0 lead over the Chiefs was impressive too, it just ended poorly. 

Again, what if the Texans have a good season? The critics will have to eat some crow. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

1.  AFC South wasn't a crap hole back then when Kubiak and Capers was HC.  Peyton was owning the division and the Titans had a few good seasons.

2.  Kubiak coaching this team would be way better than it is now.  If O Brien was coaching those Texans teams we would consistent suck.  I know its noway to prove that but I truly believe that.  O'Brien is just benefitting from the AFC South being bad in his tenure.

3.  True O Brien has more division titles but his playoff record is atrocious especially this past season getting blown out by the Chiefs.  Kubiak had a legit excuse year 1 making the playoffs with Yates starting as a rookie.  I don't judge coaches by regular seasons anymore in this organization. 

I can dig that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

If you're the Seahawks or Niners right now you have to be furious, right? Bill O'Brien basically singlehandedly won the offseason for the Rams and Cardinals and made their division a million times harder.

A million seems a little on the high side  :)

I'm guessing vegas won't even flinch on NFC West odds after these trades, with SF and Seattle keeping their spots as the divisional favorites

https://www.vegasinsider.com/nfl/odds/futures/

These moves have a huge impact on the fans -  but for the money guys, its typically shrug of the shoulders

3 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

This reminds me of Joe Gibbs 2.0 trading away tons of draft picks, which included Champ Bailey and a second for Clinton Portis, only having four picks in the 2004 draft, only one pick before the 5th round in 2006 and five picks in 2007.  He also never had a draft of more than six players.  You can't build a sustainable team with depth without those draft choices.  This is insane. 

I mean, we did get Clinton Portis at like 23-years old and he was a stud for quite awhile. Plus must people don't even know the reason why we had to trade Champ Bailey. But yes, Gibbs was getting fleeced left and right for picks. Brandon Lloyd, TJ Duckett, trading a second to move up in the second round to get D'Qwell Jackson before the Browns made their pick and then having the Browns pick him lol. Trading up for Jason Campbell before the draft even took place. Giving up a third for a broken down Mark Brunell. It was rough.

28 minutes ago, FinSting said:

The win over the Bills in the playoffs was impressive for the Texans. The 24-0 lead over the Chiefs was impressive too, it just ended poorly. 

Again, what if the Texans have a good season? The critics will have to eat some crow. 

what good is a good season, if you are not in the superbowl? In the span of 8 months they have managed to take their top 2 assets and give them a way for a bag of broken doritos then overpay for guys like Tunsil and now cooks.

If you look at their players Brandin Cooks, Will Fuller, Kenny Stills, Darren Fells, David Johnson, Duke Johnson, and Randall Cobb as your weapons. Not one of those guys played a full season last year, this to me sounds like a list off the IR. BoB has to be superbowl or fired next year, the Owner can not continue to allow such off the wall moves and not see real results. 

Tunsil and Watson have to be looking at top tier contracts if not the highest next offseason, then you have guys like Cooks and Johnson who are one injury away from retiring. 

This is why you can not give HC's Gm powers they just mess it up. Philly had the struggle with Chip where he completely went off the rails to and he fizzled out faster then he came in. This is just bad ownership and the owner needs to start coming up with a fall back plan in case BoB does not make it to the Superbowl this year. 

5 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

I wasn't happy with them. They were bad. That's why it was good we got out from under them as soon as possible. Not having two 1sts isn't a huge deal to me. The Rams 2020 draft looks like this right now...

Jalen Ramsey, #52, #57,#84,#104.

Still have 4 picks in the top 105. 

I agree but in that scenario your first round pick over the next 2 years will be eating up a tremendous amount of your salary cap.. I'm just a big proponent of building your teams through the draft as opposed to throwing a ton of money and draft capital to aquire as many blue chippers as possible.  Teams that do that tend to saddle themselves with contractual issues and don't have the picks to build a good foundation through the draft.. 

6 minutes ago, Letsch80 said:

I agree but in that scenario your first round pick over the next 2 years will be eating up a tremendous amount of your salary cap.. I'm just a big proponent of building your teams through the draft as opposed to throwing a ton of money and draft capital to aquire as many blue chippers as possible.  Teams that do that tend to saddle themselves with contractual issues and don't have the picks to build a good foundation through the draft.. 

We've had great success with 2nd->5th round picks so far, signing vets to short term deals and playing the compensatory pick game. We've been very smart not signing Trumaine Johnson, Janoris Jenkins, Lamarcus Joyner, Littleton, and Fowler long term and still getting back 3rd/4th round comp picks in return. Only move I wasn't happy with was not bringing back Saffold. 

If you have good coaches in place, you can be competitive paying few high end talentsand surrounding them with cheaper/younger guys. Aaron Donald makes any other DL and OLB immediately better commanding double and triple teams. Goff with McVay is successful and when the run game comes back next year now that we dumped Gurley, Goff will look better once again. Too much negativity is being given to the Rams approachs. They are aggressive, they gamble, and they are retooling while still being competitive. It's more impressive than people are saying, but I don't expect others to admit that because it goes against the age old philosophy of building through the draft. 

• Like 2