Texans trade for WR Brandin Cooks

Texansfan713

19 minutes ago, Letsch80 said:

The Rams have made some awful decisions in the last couple of years that they are now paying for.. I think BoB is much worse but you can't deny the Rams bumbling of their contracts and trading off all of their picks.. 

Its fair but unlike the Texans, their moves here are good and make sense. They are ripping off the proverbial bandaid rather than eating sunk costs and trying to minimize the pain. Few (to no) teams are willing to do this, especially with a fringe contender. They will be better positions to retool their roster next season.

2 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

I understand what your saying but those contracts were added after the two parties came to an impasse. Hopkins probably wanted a Thomas/Cooper deal which will really come to back to bite their clubs as the years move on. Hopkins is a great player but don't act like there isnt logic in not handcuffing your team to a bad deal to ONE player when the alternative is to  add multiple players with that cap that are or have proven to be good to great on deals that expire with 2 years.

You still pay him. The cap goes up every year. It's about to jump up an enormous amount with the new TV contracts.

We aren't taking about a borderline top 15 guy who hits free agency at the right time like Amari Cooper in regards to handcuffing a team. Hopkins has a legitimate argument as the best WR in the NFL.

Would you rather have DeAndre Hopkins or Brandon Cooks and Randall Cobb? The cost between the 2 would be negligible to have just given Hopkins a raise. Let alone the cost of trust and morale between the players, especially your franchise QB, and BoB/the front office.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Teen Girl Squad said:

Its fair but unlike the Texans, their moves here are good and make sense. They are ripping off the proverbial bandaid rather than eating sunk costs and trying to minimize the pain. Few (to no) teams are willing to do this, especially with a fringe contender. They will be better positions to retool their roster next season.

Agreed.. BoB has been 10 times worse but I was pointing out that the Rams have had some misteps of their own. Luckily for the Rams and Cardinals the Texans were there to take some awful contracts off their hands.. 

4 hours ago, Starless said:

Does Cooks have some kind of attitude issue that we're unaware of? Dude's being traded for the 3rd time in 4 years. Not to mention his production last year plummeted.

Concussions is the reason Rams parted ways I'm sure, New Orleans I was led to believe more of a money thing. 

1 hour ago, Letsch80 said:

Stop acting like your team is above everything here.. Next to BoB the Rams front office has been almost equally as pitiful!! 

LOL. We played in the Super Bowl last year. Sit down, foo. Hindsight is 20/20. When we paid Gurley, he was a MVP caliber HB. Nobody can predict the future. Gurley's knee being shot by the end of the next season was unforeseen. If he was healthy, he would have played out his contract, easily.

The Cooks deal wasn't out of the ordinary at the time. Go back and review the thread on the site. Most people felt it wasn't a great or terrible deal. He was a very good WR heading into his prime who needed to be locked up. The concussion issues reemerged, and that motivated us to trade him.

While the Gurley deal was worse in hindsight, I'd say the Cooks deal was more risky at the time (because he actually had a history of concussions). Regardless, every front office has missteps. Ours has gotten a lot more right than wrong over the past few years.

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

You still pay him. The cap goes up every year. It's about to jump up an enormous amount with the new TV contracts.

We aren't taking about a borderline top 15 guy who hits free agency at the right time like Amari Cooper in regards to handcuffing a team. Hopkins has a legitimate argument as the best WR in the NFL.

Would you rather have DeAndre Hopkins or Brandon Cooks and Randall Cobb? The cost between the 2 would be negligible to have just given Hopkins a raise. Let alone the cost of trust and morale between the players, especially your franchise QB, and BoB/the front office.

That is also dependant on Hopkins accepting the deal as well. Could have been a play to get moved... But like I have said we'll have to see how the offense looks with Cobb Cooks Stills Fuller and Johnson instead of Hopkins and Fuller.

Edited by NightTrainLane

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

I'm certain when I say the didn't improve this roster. They're retuning the exact same secondary that got destroyed in KC, that was destroyed by Denver, that was destroyed by Jacoby Brissett.

The only strength this team had was Watson to Hopkins, and that was effectively blown to bits. Now you have Watson throwing to a bunch of sub par WRs (compared to Hopkins) and the same defense you had last season - and you still don't have draft picks. But, you've burned up a lot more cap space than trying to resign Hopkins, that's for sure.

This is a comedy of errors since last off-season.

That is also dependant on Hopkins accepting the deal as well. Could have been a play to get moved... But like I have said we'll have to see how the offense looks with Cobb Cooks Stills Fuller and Johnson instead of Hopkins and Fuller.

1 hour ago, Letsch80 said:

No doubt you have some talent on the team but you can't tell me that you have been happy with some of the contracts as of late,  not to mention the draft capital given up.

Your team has way too many top heavy contracts and this is without the Ramsey extension that is looming.. 

I wasn't happy extending Gurley. It was obvious in 2017 that we wouldn't be able to keep everyone, the RB should have been the easy choice.

At the time I was more okay with Cooks because McVay said he really wanted him, and while the contract was large, once Michael Thomas and those guys reset the market, three years in his would have looked okay. 

As far as the top heavy comment - not so much anymore. Just Goff and Donald. Almost everyone else is either cheap or could be cut after next season.

Ramsey, Kupp and JJ will be expensive but we have the cap for them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Teen Girl Squad said:

Be quiet, you’re making too much sense