Texans trade for WR Brandin Cooks

Texansfan713

10 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

I wasn't happy with them. They were bad. That's why it was good we got out from under them as soon as possible.

Sorry, but people need to stop with this narrative. 

Todd Gurley's contract was not bad at the time. He was comping off of an MVP season with no signs of slowing down. Hindsight is 20/20, but you could not have predicted his injury. Even with his history, saying that you knew his knees would break down at age 25 would be a complete lie. 

Cook's was more risky because he has had concussions in the past, but the guy is still only 26 and helped take the offense to a higher level. It was a little expensive for me, but it's not this horrid contract everyone makes it out to be if they guy has never had a concussion. 

Bottom line is that without the injuries, these two players would most likely play out the majority of their contracts and you can't predict injuries.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JonStark said:

Sorry, but people need to stop with this narrative. 

Todd Gurley's contract was not bad at the time. He was comping off of an MVP season with no signs of slowing down. Hindsight is 20/20, but you could not have predicted his injury. Even with his history, saying that you knew his knees would break down at age 25 would be a complete lie. 

Cook's was more risky because he has had concussions in the past, but the guy is still only 26 and helped take the offense to a higher level. It was a little expensive for me, but it's not this horrid contract everyone makes it out to be if they guy has never had a concussion. 

Bottom line is that without the injuries, these two players would most likely play out the majority of their contracts and you can't predict injuries.

Gurley's contract was bad because we signed him to an extension before the 4th year of his rookie. It was completely unneccessary considering we still had him under contract for two more years. And then his knee began to flare up around Thanksgiving of 2018.

Cooks APY put him up there with Hopkins, Jones, etc and he's not that guy. He's a great young WR, but to pay him like he's in the upper echelon was a mistake. And then the concussions continued.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Gurley's contract was bad because we signed him to an extension before the 4th year of his rookie. It was completely unneccessary considering we still had him under contract for two more years. And then his knee began to flare up around Thanksgiving of 2018.

Cooks APY put him up there with Hopkins, Jones, etc and he's not that guy. He's a great young WR, but to pay him like he's in the upper echelon was a mistake. And then the concussions continued.

I do agree with both of those things, but I still wouldn't say the contracts were bad. They weren't the best, but they would have been fine had it not been for the injuries. 

• Like 1

I'll say this for the Texans: I think it's a solid bet that there's little to no drop off in the passing game. Watson is good enough to make up the difference between Hopkins and the new WR group.

Where the Texans could actually win these trades is if David Johnson returns to form. I'd love to hear a Cardinals fan's perspective on what happened with this guy.

Ok so I didnt find out about this trade to literally late last night when my friend text me and asked if I like this trade. I told him yes. The reasons is that the Rams got a 2nd round pick. That again shows how great Les is when it comes to pulling off trades. So the Rams have (2) 2nds and (2) 3rds to play with if they want to move up in the draft but most likely use one of those picks or maybe two and move down to pick up extra picks. Cooks has a serious history of concussions and yes he could be one or maybe two concussions away from being done. I wish him the best because I think he is super talented. If healthy he is easily the best receiver for Houston. He is so underrated because people look at him and think since he played with Brees then Brady thats why he was so successful. He came to the Rams and people thought he would fall off the map with Goff but his first year he had 80 catches 1204yds and 5 tds with Goff. The claims people made that since Watkins didnt do well and Cooks was replacing Watkins that Cooks wouldnt do well was ridiculous. I know last season he didnt do well but the entire Rams offense struggled until they started implementing the tight ends and we saw the offense start to get better. I think thats another reason moving on from Cooks make sense. McVay is reshaping the offense again and this time its through Higbee and Everett while obviously Kupp and Woods still being a big part of the offense. The days of possibly seeing 11 personnel like 90+ percent of the time is over imo so the Rams dont need 3 high end receivers. Not to mention they are high on Reynolds and so am I so when they do go 11 personnel they wont be lacking. So again I love the move for the Rams from what they got and well I feel bad for the Texans because they got rid of arguably the best receiver in the NFL in Hopkins who is young and healthy for a 2nd round pick and gave up a 2nd round pick for a young guy who isnt on the same level as Hopkins and is literally one or two concussions away from being done although I do wish Cooks well. Texans fans will literally be holding their breath every time Cooks takes a hit. Again O'Brien need to get out of Houston because he is hurting the team big time both on the field and off the field. 

51 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

I'll say this for the Texans: I think it's a solid bet that there's little to no drop off in the passing game. Watson is good enough to make up the difference between Hopkins and the new WR group.

Where the Texans could actually win these trades is if David Johnson returns to form. I'd love to hear a Cardinals fan's perspective on what happened with this guy.

im willing to bet it will be a huge drop off.  the Texans have never had a top 10 offense under o brien and now he is giving the reigns to a first time playcaller.  they SHOULD have a top 10 offense with Watson alone but i'm not counting on it even if everyone is healthy.

At what point does this become a David Stern/Chris Paul/'basketball reasons' kind of situation where the rest of the league just gets so fed up with their rivals getting easy upgrades because Bill O'Brien is mentally challenged that they make Goodell step in and force the Texans to fire him?