Transfers & Rumors: Deadline Drama!

LeeEvans

On 7/16/2022 at 7:24 AM, amac said:

Zinchenko to Arsenal. Sane to Arsenal also picking up steam, would be a great signing, though I feel like somebody else might swoop in

I haven't seen a credible link of Sane to us.  Would love to have him, but everything I've seen thus far reads like Arsenal were just shoehorned in there because we've been pretty active in the window.  But the prospective fee listed in the articles I've read is well below what I'd expect Bayern to ask for (and to easily get if they did ask) in return for Sane.

But yes, Zinchenko done, per both Ornstein and Fabrizio Romano.

I'm optimistic, but, being realistic, I'm not expecting much more 1 other player this window - so it's probably either Tielemans or some wide player we've been keeping under-wraps... or are waiting for the perceived availability of when their current club makes a move for a replacement.

I don't think we're going to see Arsenal spending sums close to the Pepe amount until the model is a bit more shown to be stable - and probably not until we're CL-qualified; and it's likely going to take closer to that kind of sum to bring in players who would legitimately push (not just provide cover) to the likes of Saka and Martinelli (Raphinha would have done that, but Raphinha clearly ended up going for more than we were in a position to pay for player that was going to be part of a rotation).  Once we find stability, we're far more likely to be on the Liverpool financial model - 1-2 50-60m players per summer, as opposed to bulking out a squad that lacked depth of quality by bringing in 4-6 per summer - we're simply not going to be in the funny-money model of the likes of City, PSG, etc.

That said, I'd be pleased as punch if we took a couple punts on some upside gambles still young enough to have good sell-on value even if they weren't able to carve out spots as first team regulars.  Ben Brereton Diaz on a free, for instance.  Possibly Sarr, though if he bails on Watford I expect it to be to head back to France.

Edited by Dr LBC
  • Like 1

On 7/27/2022 at 1:30 PM, MikeT14 said:

Looking for my season bets this year. Will probably take Leeds to be relegated along with a wild card one of Southampton or Everton. 

Deciding between Kane or Salah for GB.

Anyone else looking at anything?

I’m a fan of betting the four league winners in England. You usually get pretty good odds and it gives you an interest over the course of the season.

The first time I bet it (2016/17) it came in at 670/1, so that was a nice return off my £10 bet. The funny thing was, with 5 weeks to go in the season, my cash out offer was £0.02 since Doncaster needed two points from their final six games to win league 2. They didn’t get them and Portsmouth went from third to first on the last day of the season. Newcastle won the championship in even more dramatic fashion the next day.

I haven’t been close to that bet coming in since, but what a rollercoaster.

On 7/27/2022 at 5:30 AM, MikeT14 said:

Looking for my season bets this year. Will probably take Leeds to be relegated along with a wild card one of Southampton or Everton. 

Deciding between Kane or Salah for GB.

Anyone else looking at anything?

Everton, realistically should go down this season, but they're like freaking cockroaches and will somehow survive the damn apocalypse again.  I mean, genuinely, Everton (a team that narrowly escaped relegation) just spent £20m on winger (Jeff McNeil) from a club that did get relegated (Burnley); a player who has an astounding PL record of 0 goals and 1 assist in 38 games.  Below the surface, McNeil was Top 25 in the PL in chances created last season - which is an aspect of the game Everton desperately need - but on the surface, it's still hilariously befuddling to behold.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Oregon Ducks said:

Lmao talk about an overpay. Wolves paid less for Matheus than they got for Gibbs.

Now Im seeing 25m that could reach 42.5 with addons.

Matheus was 38m.

Overpay, but Im happy the signing. Especially paired with a couple of these other young signings. 1st year up and Gibbs fits perfect as a young building block for a solid foundation.

9 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Gibbs-White from the Wolves landing at Forest in 35m deal. Record signing at Forest.

16th signing of the summer.

I get their manager knows G-W from the England youth side, but unless the final sum is heavily influenced by add-ons, I can't help but wonder what the hell Forest are doing here (bright young starlet, yes, but an overpay based on what he's shown in terms of translating that potential to anything material on the pitch) in an otherwise extremely good window for them.