1.26 - Jordan Love [QB; Utah State] - QB1

CWood21

9 hours ago, Refugee said:

I mean if AR, Mase, Big Dog and RC are gone, the average age of the team drops considerably. 

This is the new challenge for MLF— will he take the reins fully, assume the leadership these young men need, and make them run laps if he catches them snapping towels in the shower?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Uffdaswede said:

This is the new challenge for MLF— will he take the reins fully, assume the leadership these young men need, and make them run laps if he catches them snapping towels in the shower?

I think he’s up to that challenge. The main dynamic that changes, for better and for worse, is that QB1 is not a longer tenured coach in the meeting room and on gameday. We still have room for some vets to help bring the youth movement up to speed but not a whole lot of room in the budget. I hope we can find a few guys that can still contribute on the field as well as the locker room but we are definitely going to have a younger team this year and I hope these guys start something special. 

13 minutes ago, Refugee said:

I think he’s up to that challenge. The main dynamic that changes, for better and for worse, is that QB1 is not a longer tenured coach in the meeting room and on gameday. We still have room for some vets to help bring the youth movement up to speed but not a whole lot of room in the budget. I hope we can find a few guys that can still contribute on the field as well as the locker room but we are definitely going to have a younger team this year and I hope these guys start something special. 

I'm not convinced that MLF is up to that challenge.  At all.  Also...not saying he isn't.  

He leaned on Rodgers for his entire time here.  When we needed road wins early, our teams came out looking uninspired and unprepared.  At home playoff losses where we looked disinterested.

It's a big year for both MLF and Gute.  Rodgers is gone, they both need to step up their respective games.  I refuse to believe that we'd hire someone who couldn't command a locker room.  It's just that with Rodgers in the room, he was always going to be the one everyone looked at for guidance.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

I'm not convinced that MLF is up to that challenge.  At all.  Also...not saying he isn't.  

He leaned on Rodgers for his entire time here.  When we needed road wins early, our teams came out looking uninspired and unprepared.  At home playoff losses where we looked disinterested.

It's a big year for both MLF and Gute.  Rodgers is gone, they both need to step up their respective games.  I refuse to believe that we'd hire someone who couldn't command a locker room.  It's just that with Rodgers in the room, he was always going to be the one everyone looked at for guidance.

I have some reservations but also think he has shown he can develop a strong offense and hopefully get the most out of what is to be a leaner but younger roster. The next 2 seasons will definitely say something about who he is as a coach and his ability to adapt. My biggest concern was and is his ability to attract quality coaches based on his limited network. The ST debacle was concerning but was corrected, we’ll see about defense and if Steno was the right man for the OC job based on the product on the field. 

Edited by Refugee

I wonder if Gutes is a superstitious man.

Everyone is aware of all the parallels with the Favre/Rodgers/Love saga. The drafting of a QB when they had a legendary player already at the position, the 3 years of sitting on the bench, the trade to the Jets. Now does Gutes take it even further with the draft. In the 2008 draft with Rodgers about to take over TT drafted a QB in the second round that played in a funky college offense that didn't ask the QB to read the defense which isn't the greatest for preparing someone for the NFL, that QB was Brian Brohm. The Brohm NFL story didn't go so well, but story of the new starting QB's did. 

Interestingly an afterthought 7th round pick from LSU named Matt Flynn would win the backup job and make a solid backup during his years in GB.

Fastforward to 2023, the Packers have a QB in for a 30-visit that played in funky offense that didn't ask the QB to read the defense and might be available in the second round. Hmm. 

Did I mention that the Packers already have the afterthought LSU backup QB on the roster in Danny Etling?

Life is indeed a flat circle. 

5 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I'm not convinced that MLF is up to that challenge.  ....  Also...not saying he isn't.  

I agree, I don't really know.   Will be interesting to see how it rolls.  Does MLF have a great offensive mind that will finally be evident, without Rodgers?  Or is his play-calling stiff, boring and predictable, and without the QB checking out of a lot of bad calls, will it really be exposed?  I hope it goes the happy way.  I admit I don't know, and admit some trepidation that it might NOT work very well.  

6 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I think MLF is gonna look a lot better without having to deal with Rodgers 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I'm 51% certain he will struggle.

49% certain that he will be just fine.

I'm excited to see MLFs offense. Can't help but think we're going to see the ball going to what's going to appear to be more open pass catchers with Love playing the designed offense.