2020 Draft | Eagles select: Jalen Hurts (#53 ovr)

Kiltman

1 hour ago, oland11 said:

I mean yea this pick sucks but at least we aren’t the packers. Their best two offensive players were QB and RB and they go and draft a QB and RB in the first two rounds. I think the eagles want to have a AJ Feeley/Kevin Kolb kinda setup. Have him look good for a season and dump him for a high pick. 

The Packers drafted Rodgers when Brett Favre was the same age Rodgers is now. Love wasn't a bad pick. Not getting a WR in any subsequent round for Rodgers was stupid. And Love is a much better QB prospect than Hurts.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Jeezla said:

The Packers drafted Rodgers when Brett Favre was the same age Rodgers is now. Love wasn't a bad pick. Not getting a WR in any subsequent round for Rodgers was stupid. And Love is a much better QB prospect than Hurts.

Maybe there was some truth to rodgers not liking lefleur early last year those kind of went away cause the packers were winning.

Edited by ninjapirate

1 hour ago, ninjapirate said:

Maybe there was some truth to rodgers not liking lefleur early last year those kind of went away cause the packers were winning.

That's typically the case. Winning cures all. I dont think for a second he liked being told he can't call audibles at the line,  wasn't that an issue in the beginning of the year?

Think the Packers are protecting themselves for the next go rd of contract negotiations in 2-3 years when Arod wants 45-50M a season. Like with Wentz this is about having a viable replacement in case of injury so you're not trotting out a 40 yr old back up like Mckown in a playoff game after a fluke play.

1 hour ago, EaglesPeteC said:

This might be deemed inappropriate for the site but it is too funny not to share 

Inappropriate? Am I missing something?

Hilarious either way. Only an Eagles fan will appreciate the comedic genius of this, unfortunately. 

Very much looking forward to "QB factory" getting beaten to death over the next few years, as it should be. So absurd. 

Edited by RandyMossIsBoss
  • Like 1

I understand the thought behind this pick. I don't think the Eagles see Hurts as ultimately replacing Wentz. I don't think that's plan at the moment. I think the goal is to have a high-end backup QB on a manageable contract for 4+ years. They obviously value the QB position highly in general. I personally question the value and  the opportunity cost but we will see how it plays out.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Folesadelphia said:

I understand the thought behind this pick. I don't think the Eagles see Hurts as ultimately replacing Wentz. I don't think that's plan at the moment. I think the goal is to have a high-end backup QB on a manageable contract for 4+ years. They obviously value the QB position highly in general. I personally question the value and  the opportunity cost but we will see how it plays out.

heard Howie talking to John Clark about it, likened it to 2012.
When they really liked a QB they thought they could be smarter than everyone and wait to get in the 3rd. Which he couldn't say the name, but it's well documented it was Russell Wilson.
And then they were going to double up with Foles in the 4th.

So they didn't want to be cute. If they liked a guy they would just take him.

I think it does have way less to do with Carson than it does how they evaluate him and they FO being a little full of themselves sometimes.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

heard Howie talking to John Clark about it, likened it to 2012.
When they really liked a QB they thought they could be smarter than everyone and wait to get in the 3rd. Which he couldn't say the name, but it's well documented it was Russell Wilson.
And then they were going to double up with Foles in the 4th.

So they didn't want to be cute. If they liked a guy they would just take him.

I think it does have way less to do with Carson than it does how they evaluate him and they FO being a little full of themselves sometimes.

Mentioned this in another thread. Early,  late if you like a player you take them. Hurts probably doesn't last to the Eagles  next pick. They'd rather have Jalen as a emergency #2 for the next 4 years then any other QB taken after him. Frankly, so did most of the NFL since none of the others were viewed as good enough to be taken before the 4th.

Is there another Rookie QB to groom we should of taken later in the draft you honestly would rather have starting in the next 4 years if Wentz goes down then Jalen Hurts? Godforbid in a playoff game like 40 year old Mcknown was thrusted into last year.

There's a reason he was viewed by most as the 4th or 5th best QB in the draft. There's actual upside.

2 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Hurts probably doesn't last to the Eagles  next pick

I follow all different draft guy types. Big time guys, small guys who use all their spare time to evaluate prospects and the consensus leading up to the draft seemed to be Hurts was going in the second. Didn't matter if the evaluator liked him or not, they all pretty much agreed someone was pulling the trigger in round 2. 

• Like 1

A new way to lie to yourself and make this go down smooth is they knew Belichick was drafting him 7 picks later.
Decided to sacrifice 53rd overall to stop the Pats from getting their next franchise QB to fall to them....which is the kinda luck of course they would have. BB even said pretty curtly that it wasn’t their plan not to take a QB.

Howie is a hero.

giphy.gif

7 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Mentioned this in another thread. Early,  late if you like a player you take them. Hurts probably doesn't last to the Eagles  next pick. They'd rather have Jalen as a emergency #2 for the next 4 years then any other QB taken after him. Frankly, so did most of the NFL since none of the others were viewed as good enough to be taken before the 4th.

Is there another Rookie QB to groom we should of taken later in the draft you honestly would rather have starting in the next 4 years if Wentz goes down then Jalen Hurts? Godforbid in a playoff game like 40 year old Mcknown was thrusted into last year.

There's a reason he was viewed by most as the 4th or 5th best QB in the draft. There's actual upside.

Had it been the trio of Pederson/Reich/DiFilippo, Hurts as a backup would´ve been intriguing.

But Press Taylor doesn´t seem to be a goof QB coach and who knows how this convoluted offensive staff will handle QB development now that it seems everyone but nobody is an OC.

• Like 1

Charles Robinson, Yahoo Sports:

“I actually had a source who was kind of on the inside of this whole recruitment — not recruitment, the whole building of the profile on Jalen Hurts and getting to this point where they made the pick which, by the way, I can tell you they leaned hard into the coaching staff on that pick. Okay? Howie Roseman, the general manger, leaned in to what he felt the coaching staff wanted and also his past history of valuing quarterbacks. But this was definitely a coaching staff pick. I would say more so than even a personnel side pick, more so than the scouts, I think this was a coaches pick.”

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2020/4/27/21238391/eagles-jalen-hurts-taysom-hill-package-steroids-nfl-draft-philadelphia-offense-quarterback-wentz-qb

54 minutes ago, DeJack_10 said:

Charles Robinson, Yahoo Sports:

“I actually had a source who was kind of on the inside of this whole recruitment — not recruitment, the whole building of the profile on Jalen Hurts and getting to this point where they made the pick which, by the way, I can tell you they leaned hard into the coaching staff on that pick. Okay? Howie Roseman, the general manger, leaned in to what he felt the coaching staff wanted and also his past history of valuing quarterbacks. But this was definitely a coaching staff pick. I would say more so than even a personnel side pick, more so than the scouts, I think this was a coaches pick.”

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2020/4/27/21238391/eagles-jalen-hurts-taysom-hill-package-steroids-nfl-draft-philadelphia-offense-quarterback-wentz-qb

Makes sense why Doug was so happy when they picked him, especially in contrast with how almost despondent he was after Reagor was.