2.62 - AJ Dillon [RB; Boston College]

CWood21

2 minutes ago, Uffdaswede said:

Thank you.

Palmy said that Grant was simply unique in that next gear. You had to get him into a hole clean, but his next gear—the acceleration from ten to forty—was quantitatively super elite. 

Faster in the 20-40 yards of the 40 yard dash than Chris Johnson I believe.

So who do we think this was? Higgins and Pittman went real quick,  and it's probably not Mims (59) because he went right before our pick so we could have gotten him if we wanted. WRs taken in the 2nd between Pittman and Mims were Shenault (42), Hamler (46), Claypool (49) and Van Jefferson (57).

Gotta be Claypool right?

Edited by packfanfb
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

So who do we think this was? Higgins and Pittman went real quick,  and it's probably not Mims (59) because he went right before our pick so we could have gotten him if we wanted. WRs taken in the 2nd between Pittman and Mims were Shenault (42), Hamler (46), Claypool (49) and Van Jefferson (57).

Gotta be Claypool right?

I would feel very confident Shenault and Claypool were the guys. They like WR's with some meat on their bones. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I would feel very confident Shenault and Claypool were the guys. They like WR's with some meat on their bones. 

I would say either that or Pittman/Claypool. One went real quick so they tried to move for Claypool but he didn't last long enough either. 

Wonder where the Packers had Mims graded? All that talk that he was "their guy." Wonder if they even would have taken him over Dillon? 

Just now, packfanfb said:

I would say either that or Pittman/Claypool. One went real quick so they tried to move for Claypool but he didn't last long enough either. 

Wonder where the Packers had Mims graded? All that talk that he was "their guy." Wonder if they even would have taken him over Dillon? 

I don't think they liked Mims, they stopped trying to move up, that should tell you what you need to know. 

• Like 1

I finally listened to Gute's Day 2 press conference, and long MLF interview.

Interesting (and encouraging....) that Gute talked about Dillon's pass-catching potential at least twice.  MLF mentioned it once or twice too.  Again, they may be dopes; but I think that helps to explain why they rated him so much higher than some of the media scouts.  

They may be wrong, of course.  But the potential for him to be a useful pass catcher, to me that could be a huge difference.  I love the hypothetical idea of a fast powerful guy with big hands getting tosses on the edge with room to get his stride and get some momentum downfield.

I always try to understand what the logic is when teams make unexpected choices.  I think their perception that he's equipped to excel in the pass game really helps to explain their Dillon valuation.  

Edited by craig

3 minutes ago, YaddaHolla said:

How do you know he offers nothing a sa pass catcher?

I'm referring to Gus as a receiver.

AJ did improve as a catcher every year. I don't ever see him lining up at WR. Just someone who will catch balls out the back field with Josiah in short yardage situations (if it's not a run). 

9 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Gotta be Claypool right?

I think it was Pittman and Claypool.  They probably had a reasonably good idea that Higgins was going off the board early.  Hamler doesn't fit the Packers' mold, and Shenault probably wasn't on the Packers board because of medicals.  They probably were able to get high enough to get Van Jefferson if they wanted to.

I don't think they were high on Higgins since other than "Good at 50/50 balls" (which Rodgers does not like to throw) there's not a lot that Higgins offers that you can't find from somebody we've already got.  I guess if they wanted Adams incredible sideline body control on a bigger body, but even then...

12 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I think it was Pittman and Claypool.  They probably had a reasonably good idea that Higgins was going off the board early.  Hamler doesn't fit the Packers' mold, and Shenault probably wasn't on the Packers board because of medicals.  They probably were able to get high enough to get Van Jefferson if they wanted to.

I believe it may have been Shenault and Halmer. Both guys you can stick in the slot and do work as returners. 

Pittman went too early and I hope the Packers were not high on Claypool.