Pick #80 is in: RB/WR/QB, Lynn Bowden, Kentucky

RaidersAreOne

Bowden will prove worthy of his third round pick.  He’s instantly our Punt Returner.  He’ll play slot WR and RB.  He’s a very good runner.  Like already mentioned he lead the SEC in rushing and took over game as a rusher while teams knew he wasn’t going to throw often.  He was a very very good WR prospect as well.  It wasn’t a traditional pick but those doubting it are just incapable of thinking outside the box.  The dudes a versatile playmaker, leader, and winner.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

It wasn’t a traditional pick but those doubting it are just incapable of thinking outside the box.  The dudes a versatile playmaker, leader, and winner

I don't necessarily agree with this point, I'm not saying Bowden won't or can't be a great player and playmaker as you suggest and I'm plenty open to non traditional ideas of how to use him but we've seen so many highly touted gadget and playmaker type players over the years fail to live up to expectations. What is it about Bowden that makes him different, do we really have enough evidence that we feel our coaches can use him optimally? I don't want to seem too pessimistic here 😀 but I've seen lots of highly touted playmakers disappoint and we seem to be expecting some pretty lofty goals.....

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

I don't necessarily agree with this point, I'm not saying Bowden won't or can't be a great player and playmaker as you suggest and I'm plenty open to non traditional ideas of how to use him but we've seen so many highly touted gadget and playmaker type players over the years fail to live up to expectations. What is it about Bowden that makes him different, do we really have enough evidence that we feel our coaches can use him optimally? I don't want to seem too pessimistic here 😀 but I've seen lots of highly touted playmakers disappoint and we seem to be expecting some pretty lofty goals.....

Definitely bring up some valid points here. I think he legitimately has talent as a receiver and RB, much like Jerrick Mckninnon did, but had more production than Mckinnon in a much harder conference.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

Bowden has moves to make people miss, has a dog mentality, and plays fast. I grown to like the pick and can’t wait to see a Jacobs / Bowden backfield . Going be a explosive 

Oh, I'm looking forward to seeing him on the field, just tempering my expectations a little. I can see him becoming a very good returner or a big play slot receiver/4th receiver or an exciting change of pace back but I struggle to see how he'll do all those things together, of course if he can be multiple it'll make the draft pick very good value.

I can't recall off the top of my head a player that we've used like that successfully before, maybe Richard is actually the closest comparison as a rotation back, receiving option and returner though Richard hasn't really had that dramatic an effect and only one or two big plays.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 4/25/2020 at 4:09 AM, Turnobili said:

not crazy about this pick. versatility aside, he's a backup RB, who will also compete for some slot reps currently owned by Renfrow. Just struggling to see how he carves out a significant role unless Jacobs gets hurt. The punt returns and overall versatility is nice, but I dont see him being high enough impact to justify being picked here. Loved the Edwards pick, this one not as much.

completely agree with the CBS grades giving this one a C- but the Edwards pick an A

you know what, when i'm wrong i'm wrong. C- was way too high. i'll do better going forward, guys.

• Like 1

On 5/31/2020 at 8:56 AM, jimkelly02 said:

Bowden will prove worthy of his third round pick.  He’s instantly our Punt Returner.  He’ll play slot WR and RB.  He’s a very good runner.  Like already mentioned he lead the SEC in rushing and took over game as a rusher while teams knew he wasn’t going to throw often.  He was a very very good WR prospect as well.  It wasn’t a traditional pick but those doubting it are just incapable of thinking outside the box.  The dudes a versatile playmaker, leader, and winner.

Tommy Wiseau Denny GIF by The Room

36 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Many of us said Bowden would not be a NFL RB and a poor mans slot WR in the NFL. 

Majority Raider Forum - 8387

@OG_C2X - 0

I was not happy with the pick but to get rid of him before he ever steps on the field is ridiculous especially if what MM said is true about it being 100% a football decision.  Could have traded him after the season started to see a little bit of what he had.  Some players just do not perform well in practice and maybe he needed a little bit of time to adjust.  I would expect rookies to look a little slow and confused.  If he was not a problem off the field I would like to see him play before I got rid of him.  I hope they gave him some reps at WR or special teams just to see if he could handle that.  The kid has talent so I am assuming the talk about it being a football decision is BS.

1 hour ago, Humble_Beast said:

This franchise just loves burning 3 round picks. AB, Bryant, Muse, Bowden 

See the positive side of it.  The last GM liked to waste 2nd round picks and our current one likes to waste 3rd round picks.  We are at least getting better.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

I was not happy with the pick but to get rid of him before he ever steps on the field is ridiculous especially if what MM said is true about it being 100% a football decision.  Could have traded him after the season started to see a little bit of what he had.  Some players just do not perform well in practice and maybe he needed a little bit of time to adjust.  I would expect rookies to look a little slow and confused.  If he was not a problem off the field I would like to see him play before I got rid of him.  I hope they gave him some reps at WR or special teams just to see if he could handle that.  The kid has talent so I am assuming the talk about it being a football decision is BS.

Could of definitely been a football decision, my guess would be the snaps at RB didn't go so well like many people projected. Football Analysts, Fans, Draft People, etc majority said Bowden at RB probably wouldn't work out but Mayock/Gruden thought they were correct while most of everyone else was wrong. I love Mike and Jon, but they have their flaws, and they definitely aren't always right.

Edited by BayRaider

11 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Could of definitely been a football decision, my guess would be the snaps at RB didn't go so well like many people projected. Football Analysts, Fans, Draft People, etc majority said Bowden at RB probably wouldn't work out but Mayock/Gruden thought they were correct while most of everyone else was wrong. I love Mike and Jon, but they have their flaws, and they definitely aren't always right.

Whu not wee if he could play WR.  We just lost TW and Bowden can return punts and kickoffs.  It is just weird that it was RB or bust for him.  Just based on football would you rather carry Rico Gafford or Bowden? 

On 5/31/2020 at 6:54 PM, Darbsk said:

Well that comment I made aged horribly lmao.  Talk about being flat out wrong.

I thought Bowden could have been used creatively as a RB who could also on occasion go in motion and settle into the slot pre-snap.  I didn’t love the pick at all but I thought if used creatively he could be a nice asset for us.  

Yeah well I was absolutely wrong on that one.  In my defense I expected him to see more time at sWR than pretty much anyone on here was talking about.

Edited by jimkelly02
Y
  • Like 1