Day three discussion

hornbybrown

DPJ's quality has to be understood through one lens alone; that is, he's a BIG SLOT match-up upside nightmare.

He's CHEEK cheeks as an outside WR not able to get separation quickly nor able to respond physically off the line to beat press.

He's a special weapon as a slot-exclusive player who can get free in zone for big 3rd down games and can win one on ones.

He can also be a very good redzone threat.

His concerns are toughness and mentality and I'm surprised the Browns took a swing on him given what some coaches at Michigan did to in effect trash his draft stock in the mind's of NFL teams by making note of serious mental toughness and love for the game question marks.

At this point in the draft though and as long as the Browns have a plan for his success off the field and on the field as a slot WR, DPJ is a great pick.

• Like 1

Current status:

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I would have liked him in the 4th. Great value and pick! If Phillips is the only real major gripe I have and I preferred Winfield over Delpit, then I’m optimistic. This is the happiest I’ve been on draft day in a long time, probably ever!

• Like 2

as a michigan fan i can tell you DPJ can be frustrating at times, but honestly i put most of his "struggles" on shea patterson.  Patterson was consistently late with the ball or flat out didn't throw it when guys were open.  also he rarely put it on the wr in stride so the wr group as a whole seemed dejected most games.  DPJ has some solid potential though thats for sure.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Mind Character said:

DPJ's quality has to be understood through one lens alone; that is, he's a BIG SLOT match-up upside nightmare.

He's CHEEK cheeks as an outside WR not able to get separation quickly nor able to respond physically off the line to beat press.

He's a special weapon as a slot-exclusive player who can get free in zone for big 3rd down games and can win one on ones.

He can also be a very good redzone threat.

His concerns are toughness and mentality and I'm surprised the Browns took a swing on him given what some coaches at Michigan did to in effect trash his draft stock in the mind's of NFL teams by making note of serious mental toughness and love for the game question marks.

At this point in the draft though and as long as the Browns have a plan for his success off the field and on the field as a slot WR, DPJ is a great pick.

OK...it is time for the old man in me to ask.

What the hell does "cheek cheeks" mean?

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I would have liked him in the 4th. Great value and pick! If Phillips is the only real major gripe I have and I preferred Winfield over Delpit, then I’m optimistic. This is the happiest I’ve been on draft day in a long time, probably ever!

Indeed.

Wills, Elliot, and Bryant are hits.

Delpit is Hit-Miss, Boom-Bust. Taking Winfield there would've re-framed the overall quality of the draft but the upside is there with Delpit.

DPJ is great value with some football character concerns.

Nick Harris makes value sense but is mostly meh but a really good role player with some starter upside.

Phillips is the head scratcher.

Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bucketheadsdad said:

OK...it is time for the old man in me to ask.

What the hell does "cheek cheeks" mean?

The highest order of Buttcheeks.

There is Cheeky.

There is Cheeks.

Then, there is Cheek Cheeks.

DPJ is Cheek Cheeks as an outside WR, but has special play-making mis-match upside as a big-slot WR. Great value pick for where we got him if we use him correctly.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

Indeed.

Wills, Elliot, and Bryant are hits.

Delpit is Hit-Miss, Boom-Bust. Taking Winfield there would've re-framed the overall quality of the draft but the upside is there with Delpit.

DPJ is great value with some football character concerns.

Nick Harris makes value sense but is mostly meh but a really good role player with some starter upside.

Phillips is the head scratcher.

I agree with all of this. Phillips is a classic late D2 pick and with Depit you are betting on upside and football character and intelligence.

DPJ with OBJ/Landry in his position group make me excited. They’ll show him the ropes and he will not be asked much except for in the red zone and out of the slot his first two years, and he may very well develop into an outside guy after year 2.

I wish we got Biadasz at C, but oh well. At least the guy we got has ZBS experience and will be an adequate backup.