The QB Thread: Everything Carr, Stidham and beyond...

RaidersAreOne

Just now, NYRaider said:

What team do you think would realistically give up 2 firsts for him? Realistically the only team I could see giving up a haul would be the Saints because their core offensive players are in their prime and he fits their system to a tee.

The saints are a perfect fit. Him and Payton would do really well together.

13 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

When you look at basically every good QB in the league, they all stepped into good situations as young starters.

Patrick Mahomes - Good OL, Kelcee, Hill, Hunt

Dak Prescott - Elite OL, elite run game, good defense

Russell Wilson - Good OL, elite defense, elite run game

Justin Herbert - Good OL, Ekler, Williams, Keenan 

Joe Burrow - Decent OL, Mixon, Chase, Higgins, Boyd

Yep. I can't think of a single one that stepped into an outright "bad" one and succeeded. 

I suppose one could argue Murray, but Arizona built a heck of a defense and at least made good faith attempts to surround him with quality vets over the first couple of seasons. They've obviously gotten better, but I hesitate to classify his rookie situation in the same way I would what the Jets and Jaguars and others have consistently done. 

6 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Yep. I can't think of a single one that stepped into an outright "bad" one and succeeded. 

I suppose one could argue Murray, but Arizona built a heck of a defense and at least made good faith attempts to surround him with quality vets over the first couple of seasons. They've obviously gotten better, but I hesitate to classify his rookie situation in the same way I would what the Jets and Jaguars and others have consistently done. 

Texas gave Arizona everything they need to be successful. The stupidity of Texas should have them demoted to the NCAA.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

What team do you think would realistically give up 2 firsts for him? Realistically the only team I could see giving up a haul would be the Saints because their core offensive players are in their prime and he fits their system to a tee.

Saints. 

Depending on a few things, I think Carolina is an outside possibility. Maybe Detroit if they hate Goff lol.

Houston, depending on if they move Watson? They'd have the extra ammo. 

But I think the Saints are the best option. As you said he fits them well, warm weather division with the majority of his games being indoors, and most importantly, they're in win-now mode and just need a good QB to contend. They have all of the other pieces. They have a window still open they're not going to want to spend bringing someone up to snuff, and they've been more than happy to wheel and deal. Definition of "A QB away", and he's not so old that they pay a premium for a short window. They'd be looking at a 5 year plan with him at least, if not more. It's a QB friendly system, so he could conceivably keep them from needing to draft another QB for the better part of the next 6, 7 years if things work out. For a team in that position, 2 1sts is nothing. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Saints, Redskins, Panthers, and the Steelers are the teams that I feel are a QB away from contention. That’s where I would start.

The Broncos are in that category but I don’t think they are a realistic option. 

Just now, jpaulthe1st said:

Saints, Redskins, Panthers, and the Steelers are the teams that I feel are a QB away from contention. That’s where I would start.

The Broncos are in that category but I don’t think they are a realistic option. 

The Saints make the most sense to me. Is Carr really a huge upgrade over Henickie if you're WFT? The Panthers OL is a complete disaster and they've already tried to bring in two guys via trade that didn't work out. The Steelers could be an interesting trade partner although Carr's struggles playing in the cold could be a deal breaker. 

37 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

But I think the Saints are the best option. As you said he fits them well, warm weather division with the majority of his games being indoors, and most importantly, they're in win-now mode and just need a good QB to contend. They have all of the other pieces. They have a window still open they're not going to want to spend bringing someone up to snuff, and they've been more than happy to wheel and deal. Definition of "A QB away", and he's not so old that they pay a premium for a short window. They'd be looking at a 5 year plan with him at least, if not more. It's a QB friendly system, so he could conceivably keep them from needing to draft another QB for the better part of the next 6, 7 years if things work out. For a team in that position, 2 1sts is nothing. 

I can't imagine that Carr would be thrilled about playing for the Panthers, Texans, or Lions. Or that any of those teams would really give us draft capital for Carr on a 1 year deal because he'd probably just leave in free agency the following year. If we are going to trade Carr we should do right by him and trade him to a team that he'll have a chance to win with like the Lions did with Stafford. 

Agreed. Kamara will be 27 and Michael Thomas will be 29 so their window isn't huge with their current core and Taysom Hill is Tim Tebow Jr. When the Saints signed Brees he was considered a major risk because of his shoulder and he went on to start 15 seasons for them. Carr behind their OL with weapons like Kamara/Thomas and a top 5 defense could definitely push for contention. The Saints offense is built around their short passing game so I think it's a system tailor made for Carr to succeed in. Hell even Teddy Bridgewater got paid after he played spot up duty for Brees. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

I suppose one could argue Murray, but Arizona built a heck of a defense and at least made good faith attempts to surround him with quality vets over the first couple of seasons.

The Cardinals lacked elite talent his rookie season but still had guys like Kenyan Drake, Fitzgerald, and Kirk. Then went out and acquired DeAndre Hopkins in year 2. Same thing with Josh Allen, he was pretty meh early in his career but then took off as soon as the Bills acquired an alpha dog #1 WR in Diggs.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

The saints are a perfect fit. Him and Payton would do really well together.

Ryan over the hill, Brady ain’t playing forever and Panthers Qb room is a mess. Not such a bad idea if I’m Payton have Taysom come in for his package of plays and in theory should be successful with Carr And co.

18 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I’d be down honestly. I’d give up a lot. 

Peyton is a great HC but he's not going anywhere.  

I can not stress enough how important the signing of a the HC/GM combo will be this offseason.  We have to nail those moves in order to turn the franchise around.  There is no way Mayock should remain the GM and if he does it shows how incompetent Mark Davis really is.  

Carr in NO with Peyton they are a legit playoff team.  

Edited by Frankie2Gunz
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, NYRaider said:

The Saints make the most sense to me. Is Carr really a huge upgrade over Henickie if you're WFT? The Panthers OL is a complete disaster and they've already tried to bring in two guys via trade that didn't work out. The Steelers could be an interesting trade partner although Carr's struggles playing in the cold could be a deal breaker. 

Like I said playing carr is ruining his trade value just the Washington game basically eliminated them as a potential trade partner lol