The QB Thread: Everything Carr, Stidham and beyond...

RaidersAreOne

45 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

The argument Carr is a better player today than he was in 2016.

First, looking at the raw metrics, Carr has a superior passer rating, yards per attempt, and completion percentage compared to 2016. Advanced metrics really show home much Carr shined in 2016:

But, more importantly, the film shows Carr has improved as a player since 2016. The film shows a quarterback that is more accurate at all parts of the field. Further, he has markedly improved his pocket presence and rush avoidance.

Since 2016, Carr has been playing in a less talented offense with more conservative play-calling. He's not playing a QB friendly system (high rate of shotgun, RPO, spread) so his raw production is going to be suppressed until the playcalling changes.

• Like 2

Agree that DC has gotten better in the pocket and at extending plays/running. He was a better qb in 2019 in most aspects compared to 2016.

The area I feel he lacked was in his aggression and willingness to take risks, but I also think that it's true that the WR group was severely lacking and that won't be the case this year.

1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Agree that DC has gotten better in the pocket and at extending plays/running. He was a better qb in 2019 in most aspects compared to 2016.

The area I feel he lacked was in his aggression and willingness to take risks, but I also think that it's true that the WR group was severely lacking and that won't be the case this year.

I think the biggest culprit is lack of downfield opportunities. Carr thrived in a vertical offense with two talented receivers in 2016. Gruden's offense is horizontal, instead relying on route combinations to create separation. The problem is that Gruden isn't Kyle Shanahan, and the Raiders offense lacks overall receiving talent.

Apparently, the dearth of talent at receiver stunted what Gruden wanted to do on offense, but we will see.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, raidr4life said:

The argument Carr is a better player today than he was in 2016.

I'm a Carr fan and I'd say statistically he's a 'better player' than 2016 but the eye test sees a gunslinger afraid to pull the trigger. So I don't think he's a better player as he lost that moxie/mojo/vibe but I think he can get it back. I have my beliefs of the reasons why but no need to make excuses. He needs to get that back and Marcus in the wings is probably just what he needs.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

First, looking at the raw metrics, Carr has a superior passer rating, yards per attempt, and completion percentage compared to 2016. Advanced metrics really show home much Carr shined in 2016:

But, more importantly, the film shows Carr has improved as a player since 2016. The film shows a quarterback that is more accurate at all parts of the field. Further, he has markedly improved his pocket presence and rush avoidance.

Since 2016, Carr has been playing in a less talented offense with more conservative play-calling. He's not playing a QB friendly system (high rate of shotgun, RPO, spread) so his raw production is going to be suppressed until the playcalling changes.

Whilst I am a Carr supporter and I don't doubt the statistics, I don't think you can say Carr is a better QB in 2019 than in 2016. I think you can make a case for more efficient, more careful with the ball, more mature even but in 2016 he showed real clutch qualities, hung in the pocket, took more risks and was a more confident QB. You just knew if we had the ball late in the 4th in a close game he'd produce the goods, the team all believed in him totally.

What Id like to see is the efficiency but with a little more risk taking, manouvering in the pocket better and allowing plays to develop and I more than anything want to see him try and make something happen on crucial 3rd and 4th downs rather than not risk anything.

I agree that the playcalling has been conservative and it looks like Gruden has tried to hammer home the mantra to protect the ball so I'd like to see a little more adventurous playcalling also. I appreciate that the weapons perhaps haven't been there but the 2019 Carr is not as gutsy and creative as 2016 Carr. I hope for the best if both worlds 😀 

• Like 3

Just my 2 cents.

I think we can still see a better version of Carr inside of Gruden's offense.  Better talent around him should obviously help.  If you're hoping for a gunslinger return, I just don't see that happening in this offense.

3 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

See above.

Don't need to, because I know those aren't air yards, but those nobody  WR's that he had like Waller, Renfrow, Williams was turning dump offs into big gains. into long gains.

I posted this before....See below.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/charts/list/pass/team/season/week/derek-carr/CAR358797/2019/5/pass

Edited by raidr4life