The QB Thread: Everything Carr, Stidham and beyond...

RaidersAreOne

35 minutes ago, Turnobili said:

a) corner is more valuable than linebacker
b) more room could have been created by moving or cutting gabe if they really wanted both (that's how we were still in the Chris Harris sweepstakes after the littleton deal)

Looking back on how the offseason has played out landing Jones would have been ideal, if we still could have landed the other key FA that we acquired (Littleton, Kwit, Randall, Nassib, Collins).  That would have given us more flexibility on draft day and we could have added another edge rusher/LB like Chaisson or LB's Queen/ Murray.  I am not saying that Arnette will be a bad payer but Jones and another edge rusher or LB would have been much more impactful especially considering that Jones is a proven NFL commodity.  

Edited by Frankie2Gunz
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Turnobili said:

a) corner is more valuable than linebacker
b) more room could have been created by moving or cutting gabe if they really wanted both (that's how we were still in the Chris Harris sweepstakes after the littleton deal)

Well I agree we should have cut Gabe if that would have gotten us Jones.

On 5/22/2020 at 7:59 PM, SilverNBlackFan said:

Mariotas last full season starting he had like 13 TDs to 15 Ints, which is very EJ Manuel-ish or worse.

Really only had one decent season in his career. Gets hurt every year. Just like Carr, ever since he got hurt he is a different player. He hasn't proven to be a good player yet.

61 career starts, 13,207 passing yards, 76 TD, 44 INT, plus 1,400 rushing yards and 11 TD. The Titans had a winning record in 3/4 seasons he started 10+ games. He's definitely an upgrade over any backup we've had here recently. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, NYRaider said:

61 career starts, 13,207 passing yards, 76 TD, 44 INT, plus 1,400 rushing yards and 11 TD. The Titans had a winning record in 3/4 seasons he started 10+ games. He's definitely an upgrade over any backup we've had here recently. 

I'd admit it will be refreshing to have a winning QB in the facility

• Like 1

On 23/05/2020 at 5:33 AM, Turnobili said:

No, that's because Chris Harris wasn't expensive at all.

On 5/25/2020 at 1:41 PM, oakdb36 said:

he signed for 8.5 million per year. that's also roughly what mariota is guaranteed to make this year. you could have outbid for his services on a 2 year deal if you werent paying mariota

7 hours ago, Turnobili said:
On 25/05/2020 at 6:41 PM, oakdb36 said:

he signed for 8.5 million per year. that's also roughly what mariota is guaranteed to make this year. you could have outbid for his services on a 2 year deal if you werent paying mariota

Harris has come out and said one reason he didn't sign with us was that (if I remember correctly) he wanted to play his preferred position of slot corner and we intended him to play outside so he liked the fit elsewhere.......now maybe some more dollars makes a difference but I dont think it would have been smart business to overpay then play him at his less optimal position.    

1 hour ago, Darbsk said:

Harris has come out and said one reason he didn't sign with us was that (if I remember correctly) he wanted to play his preferred position of slot corner and we intended him to play outside so he liked the fit elsewhere.......now maybe some more dollars makes a difference but I dont think it would have been smart business to overpay then play him at his less optimal position.    

It was also reported we offered him a 3 year deal (he got a 2 year deal from LAC) so it's quite possible (not sure) the Raiders' offer already had more money guaranteed.

• Like 1

that could be another issue on its own (our commitment to joyner at the slot) but i still think that if he was offered, say, 10.5mm per year for 2 years, who's to say that wouldnt have swung his decision? 

im not even necessarily singling out Harris as "the guy we missed" because of Mariota. im just saying that we overall handicapped ourselves by having our backup QB sign for that amount compared to other backups signing around the league for much cheaper, none being significantly worse than mariota (imo)

7 hours ago, Turnobili said:

that could be another issue on its own (our commitment to joyner at the slot) but i still think that if he was offered, say, 10.5mm per year for 2 years, who's to say that wouldnt have swung his decision? 

im not even necessarily singling out Harris as "the guy we missed" because of Mariota. im just saying that we overall handicapped ourselves by having our backup QB sign for that amount compared to other backups signing around the league for much cheaper, none being significantly worse than mariota (imo)

Joyner was the issue. They're adamant about him in the slot, but he was absolute garbage. He'll be gone next year IMO. Robertson is already a better slot corner IMO, as crazy as that sounds. Is faster, moves more smoothly, and has better ball skills.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Joyner was the issue. They're adamant about him in the slot, but he was absolute garbage. He'll be gone next year IMO. Robertson is already a better slot corner IMO, as crazy as that sounds. Is faster, moves more smoothly, and has better ball skills.

The Joyner signing is the biggest or 2nd biggest (Ferrell @ 4) problem I have with Mayock.  Redoing his contract made it worse in my book also.  I do not know why they like Joyner so much.  I do not know if Robertson is better right now but I would still take him over Joyner in the slot.  Especially at their prices.  Cutting Joyner before they redid the contract would have saved us enough to win the bidding war with Jones also.  Mullen, Jones, and Robertson would have been a good trio.  Would have freed us up to go BPA or trade back @ 19.  Maybe Arnette is still BPA but there was a lot of top talent at other areas of need.  Who knows how it all plays out if we do not sign Joyner but I think signing him was a mistake.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, oakdb36 said:

We didn't sign Jones because Miami offered him 26M in cash in year 1. The way we're structuring contracts (no signing bonus), that's not something we could match.

Right. People are not noticing the last 2 years their either have been no signing bonuses or very low. Mark dont got the money for signing bonuses yet. 

3 hours ago, dante9876 said:

Right. People are not noticing the last 2 years their either have been no signing bonuses or very low. Mark dont got the money for signing bonuses yet. 

I don't think it's due to lack of money. It's just the way we've been operating since RM got hired and it continues. I'd say it's only done to avoid creating dead money in the future.

• Like 1