Day 3 of 2020 Draft (New thread because Heinz D wanted one)

CBears019

Just now, beardown3231 said:

At this point, it has to be 2 things:

1) They think god's gift to OL coaching, Juan Castillo, will turn the existing group around

2) They are assuming Daniels, Leno, and Massie can't be worse than they were last year

If either 1 or 2 are incorrect, then it's a half *** effort to improve and it's inexcusable

Those are not the only two options.

1 minute ago, Heinz D. said:

Do you think it's been a good draft?

If so, please expound and help convince me I'm wrong.

As I'd be much happier that way

Wasn't directed at me, but I'm not super upset about this draft, tbh...

Kmet.... Not remotely the player I'd have picked there, but I get the need for an inline guy.

Johnson.... I like the gamble on talent, but his shoulder surgeries (3 surgeries across BOTH shoulders already) scare the hell out of me.

Gipson.... I'd have gone OL here, but this is a perfect fit for a developmental edge who gets to sit behind and learn from  mack AND quinn..... This might actually be our best overall pick.

Kindle.... Ok this pick was the major head scratcher, because he's either a depth signing or bumping off one of the like 5 other guys we signed in the past year..... I think if we wanted a DB, the maryland safety would have been a perfect box compliment to EJacks.... or a damn linemen...... He was a ballhawk, however and maybe we run more nickel/dime defenses and get more usage than one would expect.

Mooney.... I actually love this pick... We needed a burner, and he's a burner.  Sadly, that's about all he is, but hard to expect more this late in the draft.

Would we be a substantially better team had we just fixed the damn OL? Yes..... but it is what it is and I can at least understand the reasoning for all the picks save Kindle.

1 minute ago, AZBearsFan said:

It does. Toliver had 2 years and 26 games to show us he’s just a guy. Wims had 2 years. I’m not cutting Ridley. 

Coward has been here for 3 years and he's less than "just a guy". The players Pace signed this offseason are considered busts by their former teams.

Counting on Ifedi/Spriggs is like counting on Artie Burns to be a defensive starter.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

There was no need to go OL in 2019. The OL was above average that year and 4 out of 5 of those starters will still be the starters this year

I'd actually pretty strongly disagree with that...

We scapegoated Howard after that season for what was obvious garbage run blocking that continued to this last year.

Too many of our OL are "finesse" wimpy blockers who get big brothered by athletic DL..... The pack big bodied DL has manhandled our OL for 2 seasons in a row.

Edited by Epyon

9 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

They addressed the immediate OL opening in FA. You just don’t like what they did. They added a 4-year starter they think can play RG. They added an experienced swing player behind the two OTs who were always going to be our starting OTs in 2020. I would have done things differently than they have, but I’m not going to act like they stepped on my **** because they didn’t do it my way. 

I agree adding fresh blood to compete would be a good thing but is anyone we add in round 5-7 going to be a notably better developmental prospect than Bars and/or Coward? The answer to that is only maybe. Definitely not a clear yes. Clearly Castillo, Pace and Nagy don’t think the guys available round 5-7 are better than Bars and/or Coward. 

Once we didn’t go OL high we weren’t drafting any immediate starters anyway, and if you’re going to rely on developmental prospects to build your line you have let them actually develop. Churning developmental guys before taking the time to actually find out if they’re any good is a complete waste.

One guy on a one year deal is not a long term fix.  He might be good somehow, but then you have to pay him.  Which is fine, but not cost effective as drafting talent.  

They aren’t even sure if they want Bars as a guard or tackle.   If Patriots didn’t come sniffing around he wouldn’t have even been on the roster last year.  Not sure he got any better under Bears which is a shame because I think he has talent to play in this league.    

4 of our starting OL played mostly bad last year.  Whitehair was merely average.  Now I think Daniels has first round talent, but that doesn’t change the fact that he didn’t play well last year.   Guys need to be pushed or replaced and upgraded.  They got way to comfortable in their spots.  

How do you think Shelley and Toliver and Denver feel right now?  Think they aren’t hitting the gym? No idea what our starting O line was doing last off season, but it wasn’t getting better at football.  

Our run game was abysmal all the time and our protection was embarrassing at times.  We couldn’t score points or even get first downs.  That was on the O line as much or more so than the QB.   

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

Coward has been here for 3 years and he's less than "just a guy". The players Pace signed this offseason are considered busts by their former teams.

Counting on Ifedi/Spriggs is like counting on Artie Burns to be a defensive starter.

I didn’t say I would have done it the way Pace has. I said I would have done it differently. I said me not agreeing with the plan doesn’t mean there isn’t one. 

Just now, Epyon said:

I'd actually pretty strongly disagree with that...

We scapegoated Howard after that season for what was obvious garbage run blocking that continued to this last year.

Too many of our OL are "finesse" wimpy blockers who get big brothered by athletic DL..... The pack big bodied DL has manhandled our OL for 2 seasons in a row.

I disagree. We didn't ship Howard because of the OL at all. We shipped him out because he wasn't a fit for our offense. 

Just now, JustAnotherFan said:

Now your moving the goal post.

How? You defending them not taking OL last year by saying there was no need take OL last year. I said there wasn't necessarily a need for CB this year.

The Bears are going to let 2 UDFA's & 2 first round busts battle it out this year, and then what? Next year they'll need a QB, OG, and 2 OT's. Wonderful!

The Cowboys had a dominant OL a few years ago and still took Connor Williams. 

• Like 1