2020 Minnesota Vikings Draft Class

RpMc

Who was your favorite draft pick from the weekend?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Draft Pick

• Justin Jefferson WR/LSU
    • Jeff Gladney CB/TCU
    • Ezra Cleveland T/Boise State
    • Cameron Dantzler DB/Mississippi State
    • DJ Wonnum EDGE/South Carolina
    • James Lynch DT/Baylor
    • Troy Dye LB/Oregon
    • Harrison Hand CB/Temple
    • KJ Osborn WR/Miami
    • Blake Brendel T/Oregon State
    • Josh Metellus S/Michigan
    • Kenny Willekes EDGE/Michigan State
    • Nate Stanley QB/Iowa
    • Brian Cole II S/Mississippi State
    • Kyle Hinton G/Washburn

Just now, Dolmonite26 said:

Correct, his three year, clean bill of health career so far has given no indications of future injury issues.

No. Concerns.

Yeah and Thielen’s big contract was followed by a year he missed 75% of. What do you do? This is football. Players get injured. You can’t be conservative and not pay somebody just because he’s a running back. This guy is an MVP candidate and he’s only 24! You pay those type of players. He’s a different case, can’t compare him to Gurley and Fournette because those guys are power runners. Dalvin is a finesse guy. He doesn’t take as many big hits. Simple point is, Dalvin will most likely have a longer career. Now it’s football, like I said, anyone can get injured but as long as your skill players are one of the best, you don’t let them go. We’re paying Riley Freakin Reiff close to $13 million a year. You don’t think Dalvin is worth $15 mil? C’mon man *Michael Irvin voice*. 

3 minutes ago, Purplepride323 said:

Yeah and Thielen’s big contract was followed by a year he missed 75% of. What do you do? This is football. Players get injured. You can’t be conservative and not pay somebody just because he’s a running back. This guy is an MVP candidate and he’s only 24! You pay those type of players. He’s a different case, can’t compare him to Gurley and Fournette because those guys are power runners. Dalvin is a finesse guy. He doesn’t take as many big hits. Simple point is, Dalvin will most likely have a longer career. Now it’s football, like I said, anyone can get injured but as long as your skill players are one of the best, you don’t let them go. We’re paying Riley Freakin Reiff close to $13 million a year. You don’t think Dalvin is worth $15 mil? C’mon man *Michael Irvin voice*. 

You must not have been around here much lately

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vikesfan89 said:

You must not have been around here much lately

No, what did I miss? Does everyone think Dalvin shouldn’t be re-signed? This is crazy to me. I’m sure he will, hence why we didn’t draft a single running back with 15 picks. But the fact that so-called Viking fans won’t want to see one of the best players in a Vikings jersey for more years is mind boggling. 

1 minute ago, Purplepride323 said:

No, what did I miss? Does everyone think Dalvin shouldn’t be re-signed? This is crazy to me. I’m sure he will, hence why we didn’t draft a single running back with 15 picks. But the fact that so-called Viking fans won’t want to see one of the best players in a Vikings jersey for more years is mind boggling. 

Mostly I was just surprised that you were shocked that people don't want to resign Cook

If Dalvin can perform better than he did last season and stay injured, I would lean more to signing him long term but his injury history is a massive concern.  Then again you take him off the Vikings offense right now, it lacks explosive ability big time and Mattison, Boone or Ameer do not take his place no way.  Could Cook be replaced by Etienne or Hubbard next year, sure they match that speed big play RB threat.  But it all depends on if he can stay health again or not.  Todd Gurley got cut because of his injuries and Cook hopefully will not be the same but will see.

Back to topic, this draft class has some massive competitive kids in it.  Love the passion and intensity they play with especially with the likes of Lynch and Willekes.  Will be great to have Vikings who bring some passion to the game.   Same can be said for Dye as well who is very intense, Wonnum has some anger to his game and you know Gladney and Dantzler are super competitive with how they play corner and how they attack the football.  Some of these kids hopefully will bring some much needed juice and energy to the organization, something that has been lacking at times.

Jeff Gladney CB/TCU

Cameron Dantzler DB/Mississippi State

DJ Wonnum EDGE/South Carolina

James Lynch DT/Baylor

Troy Dye LB/Oregon

KJ Osborn WR/Miami

Josh Metellus S/Michigan

Kenny Willekes EDGE/Michigan State

1 minute ago, Dolmonite26 said:

I did! But then they traded him

Dude Dalvin is way better than Diggs. Never heard Diggs being mentioned as an MVP candidate. Also, we’re a run- first team. Dalvin is more important to our team than Diggs ever was. Which is why we traded him so fast. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

If Dalvin can perform better than he did last season and stay injured, I would lean more to signing him long term but his injury history is a massive concern.  Then again you take him off the Vikings offense right now, it lacks explosive ability big time and Mattison, Boone or Ameer do not take his place no way.  Could Cook be replaced by Etienne or Hubbard next year, sure they match that speed big play RB threat.  But it all depends on if he can stay health again or not.  Todd Gurley got cut because of his injuries and Cook hopefully will not be the same but will see.

Back to topic, this draft class has some massive competitive kids in it.  Love the passion and intensity they play with especially with the likes of Lynch and Willekes.  Will be great to have Vikings who bring some passion to the game.   Same can be said for Dye as well who is very intense, Wonnum has some anger to his game and you know Gladney and Dantzler are super competitive with how they play corner and how they attack the football.  Some of these kids hopefully will bring some much needed juice and energy to the organization, something that has been lacking at times.

Jeff Gladney CB/TCU

Cameron Dantzler DB/Mississippi State

DJ Wonnum EDGE/South Carolina

James Lynch DT/Baylor

Troy Dye LB/Oregon

KJ Osborn WR/Miami

Josh Metellus S/Michigan

Kenny Willekes EDGE/Michigan State

I agree with most of what you said. But I’m just saying it would be smart to re-sign him. Not have a mentality that RBs shouldn’t be signed to big contracts. Maybe not as much of a guaranteed contract but $15 mil a year is perfect imo. That’s only $2 mil more than Reiff’s contract! 

I love Travis Etienne and he reminds me of Dalvin Cook in many ways. But who knows if he’ll have the same impact. With Dalvin we already know what we have, to me it’s less of a risk to re-sign a player who’s proven in the NFL than to let him walk and try to replace him in the draft. 

As for the draft players. I think we got a lot of great players but you didn’t mention Justin Jefferson. You don’t think he’ll have a big impact? My top 5 guys are Dantzler, Jefferson, Lynch, Dye and Gladney. I think those guys will be early contributors. I’m not as sold on Cleveland as the other guys because his tape hasn’t impressed me too much. I think he has a lot to prove. I’m hoping he‘ll work out but I think we should’ve taken Josh Jones. I liked his tape a lot more. Maybe Cleveland’s a better fit in a zone scheme, but if we’re going to red-shirt him, why not take a guy like Jones and teach him the zone scheme. Again I hope it works out. 

I really like the draft by the Vikings. I do feel drafting 15 players was overkill especially when could've traded up a couple of times for better prospects. However, they did pick players who will be starters at key positions. 2nd half of the draft Vikings went with quantity in a year where you can't do up close scouting. This draft was not a great year for IOL so not upset with the Vikings passing on OG. Lynch and Jefferson( was a fan at 1st) probably are my favorite post-draft.        

5 minutes ago, Purplepride323 said:

I agree with most of what you said. But I’m just saying it would be smart to re-sign him. Not have a mentality that RBs shouldn’t be signed to big contracts. Maybe not as much of a guaranteed contract but $15 mil a year is perfect imo. That’s only $2 mil more than Reiff’s contract! 

I love Travis Etienne and he reminds me of Dalvin Cook in many ways. But who knows if he’ll have the same impact. With Dalvin we already know what we have, to me it’s less of a risk to re-sign a player who’s proven in the NFL than to let him walk and try to replace him in the draft. 

As for the draft players. I think we got a lot of great players but you didn’t mention Justin Jefferson. You don’t think he’ll have a big impact? My top 5 guys are Dantzler, Jefferson, Lynch, Dye and Gladney. I think those guys will be early contributors. I’m not as sold on Cleveland as the other guys because his tape hasn’t impressed me too much. I think he has a lot to prove. I’m hoping he‘ll work out but I think we should’ve taken Josh Jones. I liked his tape a lot more. Maybe Cleveland’s a better fit in a zone scheme, but if we’re going to red-shirt him, why not take a guy like Jones and teach him the zone scheme. Again I hope it works out. 

Jefferson will have a massive impact, I have said he is a Diggs clone without the baggage and really he is.  Awesome player no doubt and he will have a big impact.  I did not include him there because not sure he is the type of vocal leader or competitor Willekes is and others.  But Jefferson has some toughness to him no doubt as well and is willing to take contact despite being a smaller receiver.  He was tough as nails as a JR and really took off last year like most on that LSU offense did.  

I would love to resign Cook, I agree he is a great player and offensively he is the #1 reason they will be good if they are good.  When he could not run last year they were terrible.  But I also know he gets hurt a ton, and if he gets hurt again badly this up coming season no way they resign him to a massive deal.  If he is healthy, if there even is a season, all the way through then he is a lot more likely to be resigned to a long term deal.  

I am just saying compared to some past drafts, this class has some dogs in it, guys who compete and are physically tough and passionate about the game.  Or at least they played that well on the field last season in college.  Watch Gladney or Dantzler cover, you can see they are bulldogs and fight, same with Willekes and Lynch on the DL, great to have those type of guys on the roster.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Purplepride323 said:

Cleveland is the better fit for Kubiak's schemes, and he and O'Neill can grow together to give this team a very tough running game to stop.  But I really thought when I kept see Jones falling, that soon after they chose Cleveland, The Vikings should have moved up to also take Jones.  They still had enough ammunition left to get most of the higher choices they made after that.  Think of how solid that would have made the near future of their offensive line!  I think. in the long run, that would have helped them more than having 2-3 more extra late picks.

Just now, Robb_K said:

Cleveland is the better fit for Kubiak's schemes, and he and O'Neill can grow together to give this team a very tough running game to stop.  But I really thought when I kept see Jones falling, that soon after they chose Cleveland, The Vikings should have moved up to also take Jones.  They still had enough ammunition left to get most of the higher choices they made after that.  Think of how solid that would have made the near future of their offensive line!  I think. in the long run, that would have helped them more than having 2-3 more extra late picks.

Yeah Josh Jones falling was a surprise but so was Prince falling and arguably Prince was a better fit at OT than Josh Jones.  So there must have been some reason that they dropped, Jones not sure he is a perfect fit because of his lack of elite athletic ability and he is more of a mauler.  Prince was athletic and seemed perfect for a zone blocking scheme so I am surprised they did not pick him up late in the draft when he fell that far, but they probably did not want that many OTs on the roster.  Same with Jones really, Cleveland I think might be tried at OG honestly, doubt he sits all season on the bench but will see.  I would not mind giving him a shot at OG at all.

6 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Jefferson will have a massive impact, I have said he is a Diggs clone without the baggage and really he is.  Awesome player no doubt and he will have a big impact.  I did not include him there because not sure he is the type of vocal leader or competitor Willekes is and others.  But Jefferson has some toughness to him no doubt as well and is willing to take contact despite being a smaller receiver.  He was tough as nails as a JR and really took off last year like most on that LSU offense did.  

I would love to resign Cook, I agree he is a great player and offensively he is the #1 reason they will be good if they are good.  When he could not run last year they were terrible.  But I also know he gets hurt a ton, and if he gets hurt again badly this up coming season no way they resign him to a massive deal.  If he is healthy, if there even is a season, all the way through then he is a lot more likely to be resigned to a long term deal.  

I am just saying compared to some past drafts, this class has some dogs in it, guys who compete and are physically tough and passionate about the game.  Or at least they played that well on the field last season in college.  Watch Gladney or Dantzler cover, you can see they are bulldogs and fight, same with Willekes and Lynch on the DL, great to have those type of guys on the roster.  

Yeah we definitely got some dogs this year. I like Dantzler more than Gladney personally. Gladney got beat a lot in some games and was called for a lot of penalties which concerns me. Dantzler on the other hand never really got beat bad in any of the games I saw of him. He was in a tough conference too. I feel like he’ll be a great outside corner for us, maybe even this year. I was hoping we picked him before his name was called and was one of the few players I predicted before the pick was announced. It was Jefferson, Dantzler, Lynch and Dye. Everyone else kind of surprised me. But overall, this was a pretty strong draft for us. I thought up until the 5th round we were at an A+ grade, but everything after that was pretty questionable. My overall grade would be a B for the whole draft.