2020 Minnesota Vikings Draft Class

RpMc

Who was your favorite draft pick from the weekend?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Draft Pick

• Justin Jefferson WR/LSU
    • Jeff Gladney CB/TCU
    • Ezra Cleveland T/Boise State
    • Cameron Dantzler DB/Mississippi State
    • DJ Wonnum EDGE/South Carolina
    • James Lynch DT/Baylor
    • Troy Dye LB/Oregon
    • Harrison Hand CB/Temple
    • KJ Osborn WR/Miami
    • Blake Brendel T/Oregon State
    • Josh Metellus S/Michigan
    • Kenny Willekes EDGE/Michigan State
    • Nate Stanley QB/Iowa
    • Brian Cole II S/Mississippi State
    • Kyle Hinton G/Washburn

1 minute ago, battle2heaven said:

oh God if the Vikings give Dalvin Cook 15 mil a year they should all be fired.

Only two RBs have hit that on an avg. basis, McCaffrey and Elliott, both have been far more productive and resilient. Cook shouldn’t be in the conversation with those two in terms of contracts. Has Elliott been worth it for Dallas?

NFL Draft grades 2020: Ranking the best & worst classes

Grade: A+

1. Minnesota Vikings

Congratulations to Rick Spielman and Mike Zimmer. Not only did the Vikings maneuver to gain insane volume (16 picks), they also knew they exactly what to do with them. They got their wideout to replace Stefon Diggs, and corners to replace Xavier Rhodes, Trae Waynes and Mackensie Alexander. In true Zimmer fashion, they also reinforced their defensive front seven nicely and had room to get a potential left tackle of the near future. That’s incredible.

2. Baltimore Ravens

3. Dallas Cowboys

4. Cincinnati Bengals

Grade: B-

24. Detroit Lions

Bob Quinn and Matt Patricia started with a bang in Okudah, and their best picks after that related to biggest need and value were Okwara and Jackson. They weren’t in a position to take Swift as a luxury pick and possible upgrade to oft-injured but talented Kerryon Johnson. They could have done more to consider the defense at linebacker and tackle vs. doubling up on guard after getting Jackson.

Grade: C

27. Chicago Bears

The Bears did their best without a first-rounder. Kmet is a nice player and they like deploying multiple tight ends for Matt Nagy, but it was a bit of a luxury pick for them. Johnson was their best pick to address cornerback depth behind Kyle Fuller. Gipson and Vlldor were OK, but overall there wasn’t much value with their limited draft.

Grade: D

32. Green Bay Packers

Last and least, where to begin with this whiff of a class for Brian Gutekunst? After working so hard to build a 13-3 Super Bowl contender with Aaron Rodgers and Matt LaFleur last year, Green Bay drafted too much for future years. Love, Dillon, Deguara all won’t help them win more games in 2020. Martin and Garvin were the best picks in relation to what they needed. They should have considered offensive tackle earlier and it was absolutely shocking to not add a wide receiver to support Rodgers. Heck, a defensive lineman for their 3-4 front even would have been nice. The Vikings, Cowboys, Buccaneers, 49ers and Saints all did much better as NFC contenders in relation, too.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/nfl-draft-grades-2020-best-worst-classes/2bs9w101joku1lruu8r1xwt9f?fbclid=IwAR3Zm2AYh_VmCPAnJEniqJVJ28dGwIXR-hFee5wknQrGaOmZshWIwo0RLsE

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Only two RBs have hit that on an avg. basis, McCaffrey and Elliott, both have been far more productive and resilient. Cook shouldn’t be in the conversation with those two in terms of contracts. Has Elliott been worth it for Dallas?

Have they done anything meaningful since he signed the deal?

16 hours ago, RpMc said:

^^ Capers is not the defensive coordinator. Adam Zimmer and Andre Patterson are. Dom Capers wasn’t even hired as a position coach - he was hired as a senior defensive assistant. 

And will likely spend more time working with the DBs to help out the new guy than anything similar to a coordinator level.  Like Zimmer, DBs is Capers' specialty.  He'll advise Patterson/Adam Z but I can't imagine he'll spend a whole lot of time trying to change things.

14 hours ago, Purplepride323 said:

I don’t know what they were saying about Gurley but you re-sign your best players. Teams that don’t do that, end up being laughing stocks of the league. We are not that team. We gave AD an extension and he was a running who was injury prone. You know why we did that? Because he was special. You don’t let special players get away. Gurley has a degenerate knee, thankfully Dalvin doesn’t have those medical problems. You can’t compare those two at this point. 

You're fighting against a brick wall in trying to convince some to extend Dalvin at any price.  I too believe they should extend him, but not for anything above $10M per year.  I've been making that case for a few months now. 

Couple thoughts looking over the class:

Do you think any of the corners will be transitioned to Safety, and if so which?  Or maybe Boyd?

I think Stanley beats out Brpwning and could be a long term #2

Excited to see what Patterson can make out of Wonnum.

Also think Beebe is for sure done here and Quartney Davis makes a strong push for the roster.

8 minutes ago, NoDakViking said:

Couple thoughts looking over the class:

Do you think any of the corners will be transitioned to Safety, and if so which?  Or maybe Boyd?

I think Stanley beats out Brpwning and could be a long term #2

Excited to see what Patterson can make out of Wonnum.

Also think Beebe is for sure done here and Quartney Davis makes a strong push for the roster.

Potentially, Harrison Hand may be converted to safety, but with the drafting of 2 other safeties and bringing in Dorn as a UDFA, that's not likely.  

I share your optimism for Wonnum, but I wasn't a fan of Stanley prior to the draft and that hasn't changed.  I don't see either him or Browning as ever developing into a long-term quality backup.

25 minutes ago, NoDakViking said:

So I think Harrison Hand has the goods to be a solid free safety. His explosion ability is INSANE; 95th percentile in vert (41 inches), and 96th percentile in broad jump (133 inches). He's more of an linear athlete too, change of direction isn't his strong suit.

That said, I wouldn't transition him yet. I think Brian Cole II is a sleeper; he's a converted WR with really nice ball skills. Myles Dorn, one of their bigger UDFA signings has potential too. 

All the jersey numbers...

Here are the jersey numbers for all 15 of the Vikings draft picks:

WR Justin Jefferson — No. 18 (read why 18 is significant to Jefferson)

CB Jeff Gladney — No. 20

OT Ezra Cleveland — No. 72

CB Cameron Dantzler — No. 27

DE D.J. Wonnum — No. 57

DT James Lynch — No. 66

LB Troy Dye — No. 45

CB Harrison Hand — No. 29

WR K.J. Osborn — No. 17

OT Blake Brandel — No. 64

S Josh Metellus — No. 44

DE Kenny Willekes — No. 60

QB Nate Stanley — No. 7

S Brian Cole II — No. 39

OL Kyle Hinton — No. 68

Note: Dillon Mitchell, a seventh-round pick in 2019, will now wear 13.

https://www.vikings.com/news/2020-nfl-draft-class-jersey-numbers