2021 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

1 hour ago, ronjon1990 said:

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if their big board was literally position by position. 

CB1, CB2, CB3, CB4, CB5, OT1, OT2, OT3, OT4, OT5, FS1, FS2, FS3....

Has to be after the Arnette pick. Has to be.... 

I would wager no other team had Arnette pegged anywhere close to the Top 35 picks, and average of around 50-55. 

10 hours ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

It may be counterintuitive to the point of perversion, but being on such a poor offense (against poor defenders) may be a good learning experience in college, preparing Wilson for his role on one of the NFL's two worst teams.  In San Francisco Jones just needs to avoid losing;  for the Jags and Jets Lawrence and Wilson will have to go out and win games.

It was a "poor" offense in terms of future NFL talent but in terms of college talent relative to the competition he faced their team was stacked. He dealt with almost zero adversity the entire season. Again, I like Wilson as a prospect. But playing on a team with an elite run game where he was hardly ever hit and with a defense that only allowed 15 ppg, he was in a really great situation. 

It's like saying that Trey Lance is more prepared for the NFL because he was on a "poor offense" because he didn't have a ton of future NFL talent around him. 

5 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

It's like saying that Trey Lance is more prepared for the NFL because he was on a "poor offense" because he didn't have a ton of future NFL talent around him. 

Hence this explicit qualification upthread:

As long as we're not talking about FCS, High School, or Pop Warner, the strength of schedule argument needs to include the others on that player's team

Just now, Dr A W Niloc said:

Hence this explicit qualification upthread:

Wilson was sacked 11 times, had a defense that ranked 11th in YPGA and 4th in PPGA, and they had a top 5 rushing attack. He hardly faced any adversity at all last year, the one game that he did was against Coastal Carolina and he only put up 17 points and they lost the game. 

40 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Wilson was sacked 11 times, had a defense that ranked 11th in YPGA and 4th in PPGA, and they had a top 5 rushing attack. He hardly faced any adversity at all last year, the one game that he did was against Coastal Carolina and he only put up 17 points and they lost the game. 

We don't draft college teams, we draft college players.  We need stats that relate primarily to that specific prospect.  For example, Wilson being sacked 11 times is meaningless;  how often was he pressured?  It turns out he was sacked 13.9% of the time he was pressured.  How good is that?  Second among the top six QBs (behind Jones, well ahead of Fields who was 135th--fourth worst--overall with a staggering 25%).

Without another top 150 grad on his entire team, Wilson was 6th overall in completion%, second in fewest interceptibles, third in deep yards, 4th in QBR, second in fewest drops (4.7%), and, among the top six QBs in this draft class, he was third in screen yardage, second in big tosses, and first in both ADoT and 40 time.  Lest we be accused of cherry-picking stats, what was the closest thing to a "weakness" in his game?  His still respectable 2.81 second delivery time.

So, yes, Zach Wilson is the real deal.

Edited by Dr A W Niloc

57 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Too many mocks with us selecting Parsons at 17, feel like it's gonna get fans hopes way too high. He is very likely not to be there. 

Eh, I like seeing everyone cry when their hopes and dreams are crushed.

Edited by OldManWillis

12 minutes ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

We don't draft college teams, we draft college players.  We need stats that relate primarily to that specific prospect.  For example, Wilson being sacked 11 times is meaningless;  how often was he pressured?  It turns out he was sacked 13.9% of the time he was pressured.  How good is that?  Second among the top six QBs (behind Jones, well ahead of Fields who was 135th--fourth worst--overall with a staggering 25%).

Without another top 150 grad on his entire team, Wilson was 6th overall in completion%, second in fewest interceptibles, third in deep yards, 4th in QBR, second in fewest drops (4.7%), and, among the top six QBs in this draft class, he was third in screen yardage, second in big tosses, and first in both ADoT and 40 time.  Lest we be accused of cherry-picking stats, what was the closest thing to a "weakness" in his game?  His still respectable 2.81 second delivery time.

So, yes, Zach Wilson is the real deal.

I like Wilson as a prospect but there's no denying that he was in a very good situation last season. He only played against one team last season that finished the year ranked in the top 25 and that was Coastal Carolina. In that game he was 19/30 for 240 yards 1 TD/1 INT and they lost 22-17. 

As I mentioned before against Power 5 conference schools, 5 games: (2-3 record): 1,201 yards (63% comp), 5 TD, 4 INT

I personally have Wilson as QB2 behind Lawerence. But he's not a perfect prospect and there are concerns with him as a guy who only had 1 year of elite production and had to earn his starting job coming into the season. 

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

Too many mocks with us selecting Parsons at 17, feel like it's gonna get fans hopes way too high. He is very likely not to be there. 

I think it's plausible he falls to 17. I also think he could fall far enough where the Raiders trade up if there really want him.

4 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

I think it's plausible he falls to 17. I also think he could fall far enough where the Raiders trade up if there really want him.

Carolina, Denver, and Giants are all prime landing spots for him. If he got past 11, then yes, we should call picks 13 and 14 because he isn’t getting past New England if all the QB’s are gone. 

13 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Carolina, Denver, and Giants are all prime landing spots for him. If he got past 11, then yes, we should call picks 13 and 14 because he isn’t getting past New England if all the QB’s are gone. 

I see those teams likely going elsehwere with their picks. For instance, Carolina has a greater need at corner and will likely have their pick of the top 3, a top tackle, or Pitts. The rumor on the Giants is they'll go passrusher--probably Kwity Paye. I think Denver is the biggest wildcard since they seem to have a complete roster outside of quarterback. I think it's a toss up between Parsons or someone like AVT.

Just now, Rich7sena said:

I see those teams likely going elsehwere with their picks. For instance, Carolina has a greater need at corner and will likely have their pick of the top 3, a top tackle, or Pitts. The rumor on the Giants is they'll go passrusher--probably Kwity Paye. I think Denver is the biggest wildcard since they seem to have a complete roster outside of quarterback. I think it's a toss up between Parsons or someone like AVT.

The Broncos are not going guard over Parsons. If the 4 QBs are gone, it’s either Parsons or Surtain imo, and I’d say 80% Parsons.