2021 Draft Thread

Abe56

1 hour ago, doumeyer said:

I have to agree, Fields , seems to be the safe pick. if we go QB with the second overall pick. Even with five picks in the first 100 players, the key to this draft is what Douglas does with the the second overall pick in the draft. How he does in the FA market will affect what he does in the draft. Sure we have plenty of money to spend on FA's. but will they be willing to come to the Jets with out current roster, I am not so sure.

The flip side to this argument is that Darnold was viewed as the safest pick in the draft he was in. And he hasn’t had the success as some others in his class. Where that argument falls short for me is not thinking of the situation around that guy. You out Darnold in BUF and Allen here. I think Darnold is a franchise QB

22 hours ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

I think our system should determine who plays QB in 2021, regardless of whether we are talking about the No. 2 pick in the draft or free agent veterans. Flacco does not strike me as a good fit for this offense, but I think a guy like Alex Smith fits in nicely. 

Also, I think Wilson fits the system better than Fields.

The only quarterback in this draft that you build your system around is Lawrence. The only "available" quarterbacks that you build your system around if you trade for them are Deshaun Watson and Dak Prescott. 

Otherwise, we should take the new system into account when making our QB decisions. 

People are seriously underrating Fields and Wilson.  These two are some of the best prospects to come out recently.  They are both better then any of the QBs in the Mayfield Darnold draft that was so talked about.  Only guy that was on their level was Burrow from last year and even then it wouldn't shock me if Wilson or Fields went over him.  

If not for Lawrence being a Luck type prospect these guys wouldn't be so overshadowed.

These guys check every box you want in a prospect.  We should be thrilled that we have the choice between these two.

As for fit they both got like a glove in our offense but given their talent if you can't fit either of these guys in your offense you shouldn't be coaching.

Edited by Rockice_8

2 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

The flip side to this argument is that Darnold was viewed as the safest pick in the draft he was in. And he hasn’t had the success as some others in his class. Where that argument falls short for me is not thinking of the situation around that guy. You out Darnold in BUF and Allen here. I think Darnold is a franchise QB

We all know Sam was put into a bad situation. The question is can he be salvaged in one year?  You watched him play. I have provided info on poor plays Sam made that were independent of players and coaching. You mentioned confidence. If we kept him and provided more O support do you really believe he can show the team enough to be given another contract?  I would be ecstatic if that were highly probable. I just don’t believe it is. I don’t think he will show enough in 2021 that would justify a $20M contract for 2022 and beyond. So if we move on from him next year what then?  Keep in mind he will be a FA so there goes any trade compensation. 

1 minute ago, xrade said:

We all know Sam was put into a bad situation. The question is can he be salvaged in one year?  You watched him play. I have provided info on poor plays Sam made that were independent of players and coaching. You mentioned confidence. If we kept him and provided more O support do you really believe he can show the team enough to be given another contract?  I would be ecstatic if that were highly probable. I just don’t believe it is. I don’t think he will show enough in 2021 that would justify a $20M contract for 2022 and beyond. So if we move on from him next year what then?  Keep in mind he will be a FA so there goes any trade compensation. 

Agree 100%.  There are far more reasons then just his play that we should be moving on from Sam.  His play is more then enough though.  I don't care what your situation is he was the worst starting QB in the NFL.  

His contract, the fact we have two better prospects sitting there for the taking, the fact that we can get a valuable pick for Sam to help another area.  All reasons to move on from Sam.

It's a no brainer.

21 minutes ago, xrade said:

Yes I think if we surround him with talent and now he has new coaching, he can be fixed. But all that has to be done. He’s 23 let’s not forget.

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

You  are correct, when we got Darnold, everybody including the press & tv & radio and most Jets fans said that was a great pick. Not knowing how it all pan out if we put the clock back three year we would make the same pick. I don't know anybody who question the Darnold pick. The funny thing is even today I have not heard one media guy say Darnold is a BUST.

7 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

You  are correct, when we got Darnold, everybody including the press & tv & radio and most Jets fans said that was a great pick. Not knowing how it all pan out if we put the clock back three year we would make the same pick. I don't know anybody who question the Darnold pick. The funny thing is even today I have not heard one media guy say Darnold is a BUST.

I think the viewpoint some need to realize is Darnold isn’t a failure. The Jets FO failed Darnold. So there’s a new FO around, so maybe his career trajectory changes.

20 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I think the viewpoint some need to realize is Darnold isn’t a failure. The Jets FO failed Darnold. So there’s a new FO around, so maybe his career trajectory changes.

It’s the “maybe” that is the issue. He is a failure if he has failed. I do think Sam can be salvaged but it will take time. Time we don’t have. He will need to go to a team that has a decent infrastructure and can sit back and learn for a year, maybe half a season. Pitt may be perfect. He can sit behind Ben and start in 2022. I think he will then be a capable QB. We do not have that luxury. Even if we were to get a vet via any means having Sam sit would look real bad. I am not sure if that has ever been done in the NFL. One quick question, what has Sam done that makes you think he can have a quick turnaround?  Please be specific. 

20 minutes ago, xrade said:

It’s the “maybe” that is the issue. He is a failure if he has failed. I do think Sam can be salvaged but it will take time. Time we don’t have. He will need to go to a team that has a decent infrastructure and can sit back and learn for a year, maybe half a season. Pitt may be perfect. He can sit behind Ben and start in 2022. I think he will then be a capable QB. We do not have that luxury. Even if we were to get a vet via any means having Sam sit would look real bad. I am not sure if that has ever been done in the NFL. One quick question, what has Sam done that makes you think he can have a quick turnaround?  Please be specific. 

I guess that’s where we disagree. I think with this new staff and if we invest in the weapons and OL on this team he will be WAY better immediately.

11 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I guess that’s where we disagree. I think with this new staff and if we invest in the weapons and OL on this team he will be WAY better immediately.

Since I trust JD and the coaching staff, if they keep Sam, I will assume they are sure they can turn him into a viable QB for this team.  Who am I to argue against that? But, with the limited data I have at my disposal, it will take a lot and ATM I am not confident in Sam turning it around. As for weapons and OL, we need that regardless if Sam, a rookie or Watson comes on board. So any QB will be put in a better position. With that said, I prefer a rookie whose confidence is not shot as opposed to trying to fix Sam’s head and mechanics. It is just riskier to roll with Sam than a rookie. 

8 minutes ago, xrade said:

Since I trust JD and the coaching staff, if they keep Sam, I will assume they are sure they can turn him into a viable QB for this team.  Who am I to argue against that? But, with the limited data I have at my disposal, it will take a lot and ATM I am not confident in Sam turning it around. As for weapons and OL, we need that regardless if Sam, a rookie or Watson comes on board. So any QB will be put in a better position. With that said, I prefer a rookie whose confidence is not shot as opposed to trying to fix Sam’s head and mechanics. It is just riskier to roll with Sam than a rookie. 

And I get that stand. Same as if we trade Sam and draft a guy... I won’t be upset at all. But it does appear most think if we roll with Sam we’re screwed. Where I don’t see it that way. I’m good with either direction to be honest. I do tend to lean more toward keeping Sam. Bc that allows us to fix more areas than if we trade him and go go QB at 2. And those areas need to be fixed regardless who’s at QB. So it allows Sam just a shot to work with better talent and staff before quoting on him. Rather than giving a rookie QB less to work with.

Been watching a lot of tape on both Fields and Wilson over the last few weeks and my god both look great prospects. I’m maybe 51/49 Fields over Wilson but it’s really a flip of a coin. One thing I know for sure is I’d feel much better with one of those guys than Darnold. What i weigh up is this:

-Darnold

pros- potential draft haul from trading down from #2, other elite player we could then take. Would love to see him with a respectable receiver core and oline. 

cons- proved he’s not progressed since his rookie year, not a great name around the league to entice FA’s, would have to decide to pick up his $25m deal by May I believe. 

-Fields/Wilson: 

pros- peanuts deal for the next four years, reset the rookie qb clock, unreal potential, complete new era with Saleh, will we be in this high draft position again? 

cons- would miss out on that elite player at #2 or draft haul by trading down, would maybe need a year or two when we really need to start winning as currently our reputation is awful and fans are unhappy, 

Edited by xenajets